This is a test of......Not Again??

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I'll keep this short and sweet for a change but it's a rant I've felt building for over a week now. See, I had my TV dedicated over to computer monitor use 100% for a few weeks and hooked it back up to Cable feed a bit over a week ago. I think I was happier without it ..but a guy has to have Duck Dynasty and things like Border Wars, eh? I'm an ugly bunny on TV show withdrawals.

The problem is these "Weekly" and "Monthly" Emergency Broadcast System tests. In just over a week I've seen FIVE .... F I V E ... Weekly tests and THREE Monthly tests. This is from the same cable company and being generated as local tests. That's obvious by the local flavor of the test text/information given. How many months now fall INSIDE a single calendar month?? Have the number of days to a week changed so much when I wasn't looking?

Good God but how many tests of the EBS almost DAILY do we actually require? Is the system SO unstable and cheap that it may actually BREAK from one day to the next or one week to the next to require such rigorous testing?? Nuclear Power Plants don't run systems tests on this level for mission critical aspects!

So.. Are we all tired yet of being reminded (Now ALL TIMES of the day and night, by the way.. This used to be late night tests) that we should be in Emergency/Crisis mode essentially 24/7? I know I am.

They can take their EBS test and shove it where photons and electrons don't find daylight to shine.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Here I thought it was just me!!!! Glad I am not the only one noticing this Wrabbit!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The more emergency broadcast tests people see the more they will be afraid. Fear is selling huge right now, wish I could buy "fear" stock as I would be rich. Of course I could always invest in anti-terror companies but I refuse to support the very thing I hate in order to make a buck.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
There are so many in my area, also, that I am beginning to not pay attention to them. Most will just think "Oh, it's just another one of those blasted tests!" That seems counter-productive to me. Why broadcast so many? Also, the same emergency alert test sounds are identical to the Amber Alert messages, which I think is stupid. (not the alert, but the fact it's the same annoying noise.) It's another sound that people will soon tune out.

How many times have you fallen asleep with the TV on and been jerked awake by an EBS test? Annoying!!
edit on 15-1-2013 by jdb51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
The more emergency broadcast tests people see the more they will be afraid. Fear is selling huge right now, wish I could buy "fear" stock as I would be rich. Of course I could always invest in anti-terror companies but I refuse to support the very thing I hate in order to make a buck.

ABSOLUTELY.
I noticed the increase in tests as well..but, only on the American channels. None of that interrupting my Canuck programing thank you.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The EAS system is crap and has been for awhile. Now add FEMA & Homeland Security into the mix and you get an even bigger pile o' crap.

It's probably no consolation, but they are probably testing a new system or protocol. I'm not sure which are you live in, but it could be they are trying to come compliant with the 'Integrated Public Alert and Warning System (IPAWS)' . And that is requiring the repeated testing.

I hope they figure it out soon, it would annoy me to no end!!!!!

join