It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twins were born deaf and requested to be euthanized after being told they were both going blind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Two 45 year old men killed themselves because they were going blind (some time in the future). There is something very disturbing about this story. It seems like they committed suicide only they didn't inject themselves, somebody else did it.

Why didn't they wait until they actually stopped seeing each other? Very strange in my opinion.

Identical twins die after seeking euthanasia when they discovered they would go blind and never see each other again

In a unique case under Belgium’s euthanasia laws, doctors at Brussels University Hospital ended the twins’ lives by lethal injection on December 14. The brothers, who have not been named, had spent their entire lives living together and both worked as cobblers.

edit on 15-1-2013 by whatsecret because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-1-2013 by whatsecret because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
sounds like a couple of idiots that accomplished their task. Darwinism and survival of the fittest I suppose at work here.. Why be a burdon on society you would pretty much just sit there for the rest of your life able to do nothing.. Atleast if you can see you can do sign language and get around if you cant hear or see you are pretty much F'ed in the A

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

Ever heard of Hellen Keller?

edit on 15-1-2013 by jahn369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jahn369

yes and these 2 were no hellen kellers... eitehr way its not like she lead an awesome life or anything.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsecret

There are many techonologies which could have potentialy given these 2 some of their sight and hearing back and in time ALL of it with devices which could have extended it beyond normal capabilites.

Its a pitty they didnt see any hope.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
While I firmly believe in their right to make the choice about what they felt their quality of life would be, I do fear this may set a potentially dangerous precedent; particularly if governments get too much of a hand in who lives and who dies. They were not terminally ill, or really in physical pain. Psychological, and emotional pain are too subjective for any one but the individuals themselves to gage, particularly in such a circumstance.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
sounds like a couple of idiots that accomplished their task. Darwinism and survival of the fittest I suppose at work here.. Why be a burdon on society you would pretty much just sit there for the rest of your life able to do nothing.. Atleast if you can see you can do sign language and get around if you cant hear or see you are pretty much F'ed in the A

Yeah, you're not a troll or anything. :-/

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

I agree, I would not want any government involved in end of life decisions. But I believe in individual freedom and if someone wishes to end their life they should be afforded the ability to do so. I would much rather someone go to a DR. for this than use other violent methods (firearms, hanging, jumps, ect.) on their own.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MrUncreated

or voicing my opinion.. sounds like you are trolling me since you added nothing to the conversation and didn't comment in any way on the actual OP

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

for real? she is still an inspiration to millions.

very sad story all around re these twins anyway

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I just dont understand how someone can want to give up on life like this. Its very sad

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
If people want to end thier own lives they should be aloud to.

Suffering or not.

We can snuff a life out before its even given a chance, but we can't take our own when we please.

Its rediculous!!!

These two just prove a point that any law can and will be broken if thier mind is made up.

Give them a cool down period and some counseling and if they still wanna kill themselves let them do so.

Lets face it folks the health care system(anywhere) isn't all peas and carrots. Even If I was wealthy and could have the best care. I would not want to rot bed ridden for my last moments here. Let alone blind, deaf, and bed ridden.

They were already deaf all their lives and at thier age to go blind as well. Its sound like to me they wanted to do it while they were able to, so they didn't have to sufffer the social norm.

Independence is a strong motivator to live, to some, losing that may be enough to wish for death.

new topics

top topics

join