It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As a matter of opinion, what's the perfect gun to get as your first firearm?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Lots of things to consider.

1) with a shotgun - while "racking the slide" my scare off some, it will also let intruders know what you have and may get you shot. Shotguns are powerful, is one shot going to be enough if/when recoil effects you?

2) semi-autos - being your first gun do you have the knowledge and understanding to correct an malfunction and put a semi-auto pistol to use?

3) calibur - what do you have the ability to fire/aim/fire consistantly? larger weapons have greater recoil.

I would say the perfect first firearm is the Ruger SP-101 in .357. It is a 5-shot revolver with minimum moving parts. It can be loaded with .38 and .38P+ ammunition for people who prefer a smaller round and it can fire a .357 magnum for people who want to hunt buffalo (kidding).

Find a gun store near you that rents weapons. Practice with a few and find the one that "feels right". This is going to be different for everyone. Also, while you are there look into what classes they offer for beginners (many offer discounts to women BTW).

Hope this rambling helped.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandyBragg
Yeah...22s wont kill anyone...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Flying projectiles of any kind will kill people, their effectiveness in a self defense situation is a different story. When you're defending yourself, you want the person to go down immediately and you don't want to have to fire multiple rounds if you don't have to. You also don't want them mobile and on the offensive when they're wounded.

Again.. www.freerepublic.com...

4.2 rating for .22
18 rating for .380
39 rating for 9mm

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Thanks for all your replies. I read them all, and I'm thinking.

I know I don't have much experience with guns, but I've fired guns before. My dad was in the Army, and my Fiance is a little gun-obsessed. Also, my grandfather has a bunch of guns, and he raised my mother, who grew up hunting every other day. I've got people who can teach me the things I don't know.

I just want to start my gun hunt now, while we're facing gun confiscation and ammo restrictions.

A 12 gauge shotgun has always been my favorite.
edit on 15-1-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

I agree with most of what you said, and love .357s, but she may be looking for something that holds more firepower. Yes, you can be deadly accurate with a revolver, but for a beginner, she might need more lead projectiles to throw at someone. I do love the sp101, or even better, the 686+p (7 shots), they have almost no recoil and are the most accurate handguns I've used so far.. but maybe not for a female in a defense situation.

Also, the size of a gun, the larger it gets, while keeping the same caliber, the less the recoil is. The weight of a gun will absorb the recoil.

Other than that, you offer sound advice.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX

I know I don't have much experience with guns, but I've fired guns before. My dad was in the Army, and my Fiance is a little gun-obsessed. Also, my grandfather has a bunch of guns, and he raised my mother, who grew up hunting every other day. I've got people who can teach me the things I don't know.

I just want to start my gun hunt now, while we're facing gun confiscation and ammo restrictions.

A 12ga Mossberg 88 was my first firearm. It was about $250 brand new. It's a great choice for something to keep next to the nightstand. The types of shells you use are going to be a huge determining factor for you though. I'm a big guy, and the "personal defense" shells (essentially 1oz slugs with 3 giant beads), bruised my hands for a week after going through a few boxes. You'd probably want birdshot (barely any recoil and only good at very close distances) or buckshot (more recoil but still not too damaging to your hands if you have a pistol grip.) These are probably the best if you live in an apartment complex too, compared to handguns or rifles. A 9mm bullet will rip through many layers of drywall.

Anyways, enough gun talk for me today! lol. Hope I helped a little.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX

I know what you mean. My dad, brother, and boyfriend are all gun obsessed. They all want to offer so much advice sometimes it gets overwhelming. My bf was also in the army, so between the three of them I get to do alot of shooting, they say they are trying to help me, but I think they also like shooting too lol. They all have ar15s, and my dad got me one too, I really enjoy shooting that gun more than the handgun, but it doesn't fit into my purse lol

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a .22, or a .38 Special. (the "non-special" .38 is, in my experience, harder to shoot - has more "backlash" --EDIT: recoil! --or whatever they call it....once you fire it, it hops backward from the force of the shot)

But....
buy an airsoft pistol "replica" and a target set, so you can practice at home.
Then, a pellet gun. Those will get your handling together. Also, find someone who can show you how to hold it, and how to breathe correctly, watch your trigger pull....etc. At first you might have to shoot with one eye closed; then practice both eyes open.

You can do it, YOU GO,GIRL!!!

edit on 15-1-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

My favorite is the .22 Ruger.

Another edit now that I've read through the entire thread (S/F, btw), shotguns and rifles are HEAVY -- start with a handgun, dear. Get your muscles on, and your aim, breathing.
You'll also want to learn how to use a tac light, hip-shooting, etc.......

But again, YOU CAN DO IT!!!
(plus, target shooting is FUN!) I can whoop ass on my military-police husband with pellets at dandelion heads, or bottle caps......
practice, practice, practice.....

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jessejamesxx

That's the exact shotgun I want... not fair.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
A 22 will not protect you against someone whose adrenaline is pumping!! BUT it is great for learning and shooting small animals if need be.

That steps into the age old argument of quality vs quantity.

A 22lr to the brain box will stop you dead right there, no mater how much adrenalin, or drugs you are on.

A 50bmg through the gut will not stop a bath salts zombie.

Shot placement is everything. A 22lr will allow an inexperienced shooter to put more well aimed rounds into a person than a larger caliber will. A heart lung shot will shock stop a normal person. But it won’t bother a bath salt person. The only thing that will stop them on the spot is destruction of the vital nervous system. A 22 allows you to take repeated shots at that vital area without pause.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

First gun for an adult? AR-15 type would be good. It is modular and with an upper change you can go from plinking and learning with cheap .22 LR all the way up to taking large game with uppers like .458 SOCOM. With TAP ammo, it can be used for home defense.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

I agree, but the OP said money was an issue. A month ago an AR platform would have been easy to find and cheap to purchase. Neither of those are true today.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

I was thinking of adding that - !!
a well-placed .22 to the eye will CERTAINLY incapacitate, if not kill.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

A 50bmg through the gut will not stop a bath salts zombie.

Dont be so sure....watch this video:
www.liveleak.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
This topic has been done too death! Probably 20 threads on this very topic.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by magilla

So what?!!
What's your point???
There are ALWAYS new members, and there is ALWAYS new information.

This is a 19-year old female. What might have applied 5 years ago is "obsolete" by definition.
I say, good for her for asking!!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Oh course, I have to say any M4 type platform and go from there

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Before you trade or barter anything - get yourself to your local Rod and Gun club and join up!

From there? You’ll find (or should find) a good group of women and men who will go to the range with you, let you ‘practice’ with their side arms and really give you hands on and hearts on info.

What do I mean by ‘hearts on’? Everyone has their ‘baby’ - their favorite gun, rifle, shotgun. It really is a personal choice and the more guns you try? Well, you'll understand what I mean real quick.

If you and I were going to the range? I’d set you up - first - with a bolt action single shot .22 long rifle and from there a .22 pistol.

I hope you can find someone who will do the same.

For me? My ‘baby’ - is a H&K P7 M13 or a Colt 45. Are they practical? Not really at this point.

I’d still agree a shotgun is the best offensive weapon to have in the house. Does that mean I would barter my H&K for a shotgun - not on my life. It’s my baby.

peace

edit on 15-1-2013 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

I would get a 22 rifle. I am not a gun Guru. Far from it. My first gun was a 22 rifle. I found that this little rifle took away all my apprehension about guns. I learned their inner workings and how to keep and maintain them. It was fun to shoot it and had minimal safety issues (those to be expected), but it had little recoil and I didnt really need to worry about penetration to much as well as ricocheting bullets. Also 22 caliber ammo is cheap.

I would get something that has optional conversion kits. As you get more comfortable with it you can add things to it to better suit your personality.

Then after a while and after you are comfortable with guns maybe try out a shot gun for the feel of it.

I wouldnt get a hand gun right away. I would see if you even like guns before going through the pain in the ass that is getting a permit.

edit on 15-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
SKS.

High quality very reliable cheap ammo easy to shoot.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Point is..this subject is brought up every couple of months, dont think anything is gonna be "obsolete".

What "new info" is there going to be, really, same old, get a .22, or a shotgun, or a pistol, whatever you feel comfortable with..blah blah etc ad nauseum.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join