It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As a matter of opinion, what's the perfect gun to get as your first firearm?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
As we all know, guns are under attack here in the states.

I, being a currently unemployed 19 year old female, am finding it hard to find a gun. So, I made a tough decision in order to ensure I can get at least one. I'm going to barter my playstation 3 for a firearm of some kind (I'm gonna miss it so much, but I don't have the money to buy one right now).

I always wanted a 12 gauge shotgun, but since semi-autos are under the scope, would that be smarter?

It's just educated opinions I'm looking for. I don't want to be unarmed and out of shape, when and if the civil war breaks out. I've been working my arse off, burning the extra weight on me (finally) but I am still gun hunting.

I was supposed to get my first firearm a few months back, but some things came up... and my money vanished.

It's entirely for emergencies and home protection, nothing more.

But it unnerves me, knowing I don't have one.

Plus, not having a playstation will give me a little less leeway to sit around and do nothing, and give me more motivation to get up and whip back into shape in my spare time.

ANYway, according to you, ATS, what do you think would be a good first firearm? And why?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
22s are good in either rifle or pistol. They are very accurate,cheap ammo, inexpensive weapons and they are great for learning how to shoot with.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
22 revolver, a great starter gun

www.basspro.com...

Cheap ammo, easy to operate, will probably never be illegal.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
First, 22lr rifle.

Second, 12ga pump shotgun.

Third, 9mm pistol.

Forth, center fire .308 rifle.

Repeat this process untill you have a good volume of guns/ammo. Change it up a little though, get a bolt action 22lr, then a semi. Pump shotgun, then get a semi.

Then branch out and get a 9mm carbine that can use the same mags as your pistol.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I agree with previous posters. .22 guns are by far the best "starter" firearms. The .22 is easy to shoot and there is a large abundance of inexpensive ammo. Replacement parts are readily available for many models of guns as well. A .22 can offer you the opportunity to shoot small game and provide a lethal protection force if necessary. I think the .22 is the most reliable gun out there, and I have several of them. Good luck!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
A 12 gauge pump is always a good start. No home should be without one in my opinion. The sound of "racking" a round is a deterrent in and of itself. Great weapon for home defense. If your intent is to carry I personally like the Walther .380.
Whatever your decision be sure to educate yourself on your choice of firearm, there is responsibility that comes with gun ownership. Treat your tools with respect and care and be sure you are comfortable with their use.

link   
S&W 600... only kidding
my first was a sig p226 9mm. good starter gun for me and very low recoil

link   
reply to post by jough626

That's a drastic jump from 22 to 12gauge. Then a bit of a drop off from the gauge to 9mm don't you think?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

The average price of a used Beretta 92 FS for years has been $350. A very solid, reliable weapon that uses a very common medium caliber (9mm) and is all around an exceptional gun from my personal experience. Holds 15 rounds with no extended clip. Its almost entirely steel as well, so you can really smack some sense into someone if you are close.

Fill it with hollow points and you have a fine home defense weapon, that will make sure anyone performing a home invasion of your house is the last thing they ever do.
edit on 1/15/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Hi, I too had problems finding a gun I could both shoot, and carry comfortably. My biggest problem is I have small hands, and alot of guns had reall big handles (sorry guys if I am not correct with the technicals) My dad ended up getting for me Sig Sauer P239 in 9mm, my bf also put rubber grips on it which also helped me too.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueMessiah
reply to post by jough626

That's a drastic jump from 22 to 12gauge. Then a bit of a drop off from the gauge to 9mm don't you think?

I think he confused "what my first gun should be" with "What my first armory should hold"

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Marlin model 60 22lr!

I can not stress it enough. Every gun owner should have one. They are the simplest, most reliable, and the best all around gun you will find bar none. They are the ones that set in the corner for decades, but you know that any time you need it, it will fire without fail.

Last time I checked, they was running around $150. You should be able to get them used for under 100.

Fill it with hollow points and it’s perfect for small varmints. Fill it with 40g round nose 1300fps and it is perfect for shooting larger pest of the two and four legged variety. It packs far more penetration and damage than a .25 or larger hand gun could pack at close range.

If you have any money left, then look for a single shot savage 12 gauge shotgun chambered in 3 inch. No nonsense, painfully simple, unquestionably reliable. And the most destructive power pound for pound, and dollar for dollar that you will be able to find bar none.

With bird shot, you got a good bird hunting gun. With buckshot, you have got a guarantied one shot stop for any four or two legged animal.

You should easily be able to get one for under $100.

Spend the rest of your money on ammo, if you can find any.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The right choice for a Lady: HKMP7A1

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
My preferences in order:

1- H&K USP 45 Compact: www.hk-usa.com...
2- Sig Sauer 1911 (Any): www.sigsauer.com...
3- Colt 1991: www.coltsmfg.com...
4- Glock 38: us.glock.com...
5- Beretta 92FS: www.berettausa.com...
6- Ruger SR45: www.ruger.com...

and if all that fails you can always just go for the scary look alone:

.357 Desert Eagle: www.magnumresearch.com...

I have shot all of them and the best one in my opinion is the H&K USP45.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Either a 20 gauge shotgun or a .38 revolver for starters.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The answer depends on why you want one and what you expect to get out of it.

If you've never been through any training before I'd say a single shot bolt action .22.

Without perfected fundamentals you'll never shoot as well as any gun you may own will be able to.

Practice, time, patience, trigger control, breathing, sight alignment.....

But seeing as how money is an issue and apparently time as well since we're all fighting against the ticking clock of tyrannical idiocy here just get whatever you can in your console swap.

Prioritize whatever it is they are talking about regulating.

Even if you just trade it for a half dozen 30 round PMAGS you'll be able to sell them later and get something you can use.

Looming bans and regs trump every other consideration at this point.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
.22's are good for assassins and not so much home defense. I really wouldn't feel safe with a .22 unless it was a rifle with many many rounds in the magazine.

www.freerepublic.com...

For self defense and emergencies, you're going to need some stopping power. If you get a decent sized handgun, it will make the recoil less, so a 9mm would be the way to go. If you wanted a smaller, pocket or purse sized pistol, I'd suggest a .380. About the same amount of recoil on a smaller frame. Those 2 calibers are probably the best for a beginner female that is serious about protecting herself.

Shotguns would be great for strictly personal defense, and you can pick one up for $200-250. I like having a handgun though, because I can travel with it.

I speak with some experience, having just went shopping for a handgun for my >100lb girlfriend, and her trying out many different sizes and calibers.
edit on 15-1-2013 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX

It's entirely for emergencies and home protection, nothing more.

A 22 revolver was my first gun when I was your age. Then once I was in the Army I was all for the semi autos...I kinda skipped then went backwards....

A 22 will not protect you against someone whose adrenaline is pumping!! BUT it is great for learning and shooting small animals if need be.

As far as for home protection a 12g or 16 g shotgun, but good luck finding any right now, and if you do the prices have skyrocketed.

Emergencies? Depends on where you live actually. A 380 pistol or a 9mm would be good to carry or have in your car and it can be easily concealed. The downside of 9mm is that prices for 20 rounds are going for up to $31.00 a box....Now I have seen lots of ammo left for 40 S&W

22 and 22LR rounds are cheap but yesterday I bought up what was left in the store.....Right now you have to look real hard for ammo....

What use is a gun without ammo right??

IF you get yourself a gun, please take a safety course or have someone show you how to shoot properly. Then go to the range and practice.

Also, there are some brands more reliable than others!!!!!!! You dont want a cracked barrel after shooting up a few magazines worth of rounds..

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
the first gun is for training only.22 single shot without a doubt,But remember a .22 is NOT a good defensive choice.
The dreaded AR15 is a simple system to use the gun's recoil is mitigated by the piston in the stock and it is simple to operate as well as quite accurate.That round type would require a longer range to be effective and in an urban setting it would be dangerous if the shooter wasn't versed in safety.
A shot gun or a 9mm carbine would be a good choice as a second for defense,
I love .308,I have also grown up with guns and have a clear idea of it's power and how to shoot it.
So it's not just the gun it's also training from professionals or a vet.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join