It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New PEW POll: 55% of Americans Favor Assault Rifle BAN

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Interesting that consistently reported support far below 50% for at least a decade now, even immediately after the Newtown incident, suddenly it jumps up to 55%.

Strange enough this poll shows more Republicans in favor of a full ban on all semi-autos than on whatever they think is an "assault weapon." How does that work?

Imagine what a ridiculous world it would be if we just let majority opinion rule our lives.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by sensible1

Well since we live in a constitutional republic and not a democracy as it seems most people think, the rights of the minority are protected. And since only 55% of the population support such a ban it is not enough to overturn a constitutional ammendment. As well as any of the Bill Of Rights cannot be appealed or ammended.[although they try and in some cases appear to have succeeded]. All I can say is sorry for your luck.

I have a constituional right to a firearm of my choice that is to be comparable to current mil-spec. The 2nd is not about hunting or pleasure shooting. IKt is about the final option of the people to throw of the chains of an oppressive government.

We must remember that in their day the founding fathers would have been trieed and executed under British law as traitors and revolutionaries. It is only right that the government fear, yes fear, the people that they SERVE. The people are governed by consent and can remove such consent as they choose. When enough people wake up and grow a set than we can put the government back into the place it deserves and return back to the rights of the states for regulation.

By and large the federal government should do three things
1..deliver the mail
2. protect the borders
3 count the population for congressional representation

If they cant even do these right what makes you think that they can do anything else?

reluctantpawn

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by sensible1
People are moved with compassion and feel for those precious babies and educators and their families. That is the motivation. Please look at those grieving families to their face and call them "Un-Patriotic"
edit on 15-1-2013 by sensible1 because: spl

The survivors of this tragedy are now back in school and their campus is now protected with armed security.

Now, that's compassion, and common sense.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Reply to post by sensible1

"New PEW POll: 55% of Americans Favor Assault Rifle BAN"

You mean

New PEW POll: 55% of Americans Polled Favor Assault Rifle BAN

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Data from polls can be twisted around to show whatever fits the pollers agenda. Questions can be twisted in a way so as to be misinterpreted, the actual people being polled are not necessarily a random sampling, and results can be manipulated. Haven't we all learned by now that opinion polls cannot be trusted?

Your right, PEW isn't very credible.

www.extremeink.com...

Pladuim

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pladuim

I believe anyone against what is written in the constitution is "UNAMERICAN".

Thanks for the link.

Pladuim

You DOLT. The 2nd AMENDMENT is an AMENDMENT.. That means someone who didn't agree with the US Constitution thought it needed to be CHANGED.. OMG.. Please READ sometimes. It helps .. OMG...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Since 1982, there have been about 62 mass shootings; 25 since 2006. In all, the tally is about 68 semi-automatic handguns, 35 assault rifles, 20 revolvers and 19 shotguns.

While assault rifles result in far more wounded in the attack, semi-automatic handguns are still more "popular". Is this the price or the ability to conceal or something else?

The recent shooting that left 20 children and 6 adults dead was with an assault rifle (ar-15).

The shooting in Norway in 2011 that left 69 dead was with an assault rifle (mini-14). He was using 30-round banna clips and had several on hand if needed. If I recall he used some kind of "poison" in the bullets that increased the heart rate of the victim so they would bleed more rapidly.

The Virginia Tech massacre in 2007 left 32 dead using handguns (glock 19 and Walther P22). Though handguns aren't as deadly as assault rifles on a per shot basis, they come with 10 to 30 round clips and are quickly reloaded and concealed from others (if needed). In the Virginia Tech Massacre, Cho used a 10 round clip in the P22 and a 15 round clip in the Glock. Most of the victims he shot multiple times; resulted in a lot of deaths. IN total, he fired about 200 rounds of ammunition.
edit on 15-1-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Thanks for the link.

Pladuim

You DOLT. The 2nd AMENDMENT is an AMENDMENT.. That means someone who didn't agree with the US Constitution thought it needed to be CHANGED.. OMG.. Please READ sometimes. It helps .. OMG...

Hmmm, the last time I checked the Bill of Rights was apart of the Constitution and was added for these reasons.

During the debates on the adoption of the Constitution, its opponents repeatedly charged that the Constitution as drafted would open the way to tyranny by the central government. Fresh in their minds was the memory of the British violation of civil rights before and during the Revolution. They demanded a "bill of rights" that would spell out the immunities of individual citizens. Several state conventions in their formal ratification of the Constitution asked for such amendments; others ratified the Constitution with the understanding that the amendments would be offered.On September 25, 1789, the First Congress of the United States therefore proposed to the state legislatures 12 amendments to the Constitution that met arguments most frequently advanced against it. The first two proposed amendments, which concerned the number of constituents for each Representative and the compensation of Congressmen, were not ratified. Articles 3 to 12, however, ratified by three-fourths of the state legislatures, constitute the first 10 amendments of the Constitution, known as the Bill of Rights.

www.archives.gov...

Now if you give me a 2/3 vote in congress on any amendment then I will still defend it. As it stands right now the main reason for the 2nd admendment was for us to be able to defend ourselves against tyranny and if you are against the 2nd amendment then yes you are UNAMERICAN. Which would also lead me to question those against it what their true agenda really is.

Pladuim

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I forgot to add "OMG"! You Dolt.

Pladuim
edit on 15-1-2013 by Pladuim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Like it's been said, none of these people even know what an "Assualt Rifle" acually is by technical definitions. Cosmetics have nothing to do with it. A pistol grip and and rail does not magically transform a semi-auto rifle into a full auto like polititians want you to believe. But adding a flashlight does make it a rocket launcher, I've tested this.

And High capacity magazine ban? What is that going to fix? Lower the number of people killed? It only takes one hand gun mag of 30 rounds to kill 30 people, All the gunman needs to do is corner some people up, force them to the ground and execute them one by one.

I don't feel its fair for somebody to be drafting laws for something they have no idea how it works. This is like washington getting to make the rules for the NFL, but then they ban tackling, citing it causes nothing but injuries and is barbaric.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mikeyy

And High capacity magazine ban? What is that going to fix? Lower the number of people killed? It only takes one hand gun mag of 30 rounds to kill 30 people, All the gunman needs to do is corner some people up, force them to the ground and execute them one by one.

I wonder how many proponents of high cap bans are also wetting themselves over the wonders of 3-D printing?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

This according to a new PEW POLL. The public heavily favors universal background checks for gun buyers, and a majority of Americans approve of a federal database to track gun sales as well as a BAN on "assault style weapons," a new poll from the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press shows.

(The partisan breakdown, seven in ten Democrats backing the ban compared to 44 percent of Republicans.)

In the survey, 85 percent of respondents said they favor background checks for private and gun show sales, while only 12 percent say they oppose such checks.

Sixty-seven percent of adults surveyed approve of a federal database to track gun sales, the poll indicated. A majority -- 55 percent -- back a ban on assault weapons, with 40 percent saying they don't approve of the ban, a measure for which President Barack Obama again voiced support during a press conference today.

Almost 1/2 of all GOP favor the BAN too...44%
So much for that CIVIL WAR...

Next in the news...55% of Americans don't know what an assault rifle is.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Same polls that control all propaganda agendas. Same polls that target the Dancing with the Stars armchair hypnotized droids. They must be proud.

Let us see the White house gun free zone... let their children's security forces go unarmed...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Thanks for the link.

Pladuim

Since you are going about calling people dolts, apparently you do not realize that the first ten amendments, also known as the bill of rights, were added to the Constitution because not everyone would ratify it without them in place. None of the first ten amendments amended anything.

en.wikipedia.org... ill_of_Rights#Delegates_to_the_Constitutional_convention

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
On a related note, here's a poll from the front page of Yahoo TODAY:

"What issue must Obama tackle in his second term?"

Gun control laws 9%

Immigration reform 9%

Reducing the debt 82%
--------------------------------------------
I don't think I'm buying into the Pew Poll...not to mention the huge increase in gun sales of late...
How can there be such a huge disconnect between these two polls? As already mentioned, polls can be skewed to say whatever one wants it to say...

Here's another poll, this one from the Washington Times:

Poll: Should the government be able to take guns away from the American people?

Yes
No
Undecided
Other

283(5%)
5290(94%) NO is 94%
41(0%)
34(0%)
edit on 16-1-2013 by Habit4ming because: to add additional data

top topics

<< 1   >>

join