Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

The Constitution Bill of Rights Amendment 15....

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Section 1.
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude--

These states that deny convicted felons the RIGHT to vote are clearly unconstitutional, it says it there PLAINLY
SHALL NOT BE DENIED
where do these states that disallow this get off doing this???
How is this being allowed and not being overturned??
edit on 1/15/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
This has to be abided by why? Because you say it does?

You are so bound to your constitution that it restrains you more than frees you.

It is preventing you from evolving as a nation.

In my opinion of course...

If you take away someones civil liberties through criminal activity, why should you have yours upheld?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The law is the LAW
it says NO STATE CAN TAKE THAT RIGHT
its unconstitutional

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

That may be so, but it doesnt make it right.

In the UK it is still illegal to shake a mat outside the front of your house as it may scare the horses.

Obviously this law has no modern relevance but has never been removed from UK Law.

Even though it is the "law" on a piece of paper, it is not enforced.

Do you see what I mean?

I am not for one minute trying to undermine your countries history, it just seems you are missing a trick by abiding so vigourously to a very old constitution.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Briles1207

again, i'll say it once more:
The LAW IS THE LAW
if it has no more relevance then it should be taken off the books
I also think shaking a mat and voting are two completely different things
you dont pick snd choose what laws to follow

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
Section 1.
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude--

These states that deny convicted felons the RIGHT to vote are clearly unconstitutional, it says it there PLAINLY
SHALL NOT BE DENIED
where do these states that disallow this get off doing this???
How is this being allowed and not being overturned??

Who is being denied a vote 'on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude'?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Are you being serious or making an analogy about restrictions on Amendments?

Fact is, that Congress/government passes or endorses laws which routinely violate the Constitution.

The only way to determine the Constitutionality of these laws is to challenge them in court. Problem is, the Supreme Court doesnt get it right either.

Take the Dred Scott decision for example. The Supreme Court said that Black people, slaves or not, were not citizens protected by the Constitution, even if they were born here i.e. state sanctioned slavery. Completely laughable and clearly in violation of the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

A blind man could see that the whole institution of slavery clearly violated the Constitution.

Many say that it was this decision that hastened the start of the Civil War.

Think it cant happen again?

The cat is out of the bag. Where are we today? People are waking up.

9/11 being an inside job. The Federal Reserve is a private for profit institution enslaving the people in tax and debt slavery. Patriot Act, warrantless spying, sneak and peak searches, NDAA, indefinite imprisonment, suspension of habeas corpus, renditions, Black sites, FEMA camps, citizen kill lists, citizen assassinations...

Now they want our guns.

Of-course they do.

edit on 15-1-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I'm being serious, noone, NOONE should be deprived the right to vote in the USA, as the ones that are elected do make decisions that DO effect disenfranchised citizens

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

It was an example of a law change that hasn't officially happened, such as the one you have posted about.

More and more states are ignoring it.

If you want murderers and rapists voting and having a say in your daily affairs then be my guest.

Shouting "its the law, its on a bit of paper" isnt the best way to get you listened to.

Your constitution is becoming more of a religion than a rulebook for some people..

edit on 15-1-2013 by Briles1207 because: grammar

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I might be missing your point, but "previous condition of servitude" means slavery, not imprisonment.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I'll try to explain to you one more time, being in the UK you might not understand it
You dont PICK AND CHOOSE what laws to follow, if the law is on the BOOKS, YOU OBEY IT or youre BREAKING THE LAW

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I'll try to explain to you one more time, being in the UK you might not understand it
You dont PICK AND CHOOSE what laws to follow, if the law is on the BOOKS, YOU OBEY IT or youre BREAKING THE LAW

Can you answer my previous question?

And I assume from this, if they bring in a law to hand in your guns, you'd obey it?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

dont twist the conversation, youre asking a WHAT IF scenario

and I am talking about felons here in the USA, in most states theyre disenfranchised, meaning most of their civil rights are taken away, such as the right to vote, which is unconstitutional, everyone should have a say on who runs the country, as those elected officials have an effect on the lives of those disenfranchised citizens

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Ah the old "being from the UK" gripe.

Here are a few laws that still apply in the U.S:

‘Idiots’ cannot vote in New Mexico

You cannot eat ice cream on a Sunday in Oregon

in Vermont it is illegal to deny the existence of God

it is illegal in North Dakota to lie down and fall asleep while still wearing your shoes

So you agree that these should be enforced until they are removed from the books?

You are a muppet.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

reply to post by khimbar

dont twist the conversation, youre asking a WHAT IF scenario

Yes, I am. Well done.

Then answer the other question.

Who has been denied a vote because of race, colour or the condition of once being a slave?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Basically they are saying that if you are a Felon then you are not a full Citizen. Doesnt Obama want felons to have the right to vote since most are minorities who side with the Democratic Party anyway?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I tend to agree with the OP on this one. While I think that felons should not be allowed to vote while serving their sentences either by prison time or probation, once they have payed their debt to society their rights should be restored. The only exception would be a firearms restriction for those convicted of violent crimes, especially those commited with a firearm. Our justice system is supposed to be based on the idea that people can be reformed, they can be re-taught, and can change their ways. It does not function that way, but that was the intention. In practice, the system strips certain people of rights that are endowed by the Creator and garunteed by the constitution, thereby making them a sub-class of American. They cannot even be called citizens due to their rights being taken away. As for the people of other countries that always jump in to these conversations with, "In the UK, we cannot do this or that and we are fine with it" Enjoy your country, but do not try to turn our country in to that. We broke away for several reasons.
edit on 15-1-2013 by borracho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
edit on 15-1-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join