It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let them eat the day old spongecake act 2! Walmart to hire 100k vets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
"Let them eat cake" is the traditional translation of the French phrase "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche", spoken by Marie Antoinette learning that the peasants had no bread. The quote symbolized nobilitys obliviousness to the condition of the people. Today we hear that Michele Obama considers it an historic return for vets to look forward to FT & PT jobs at Walmart, which means if they have families they could require food stamps too

news.yahoo.com...
Hiring a veteran can be one of the best business decisions you make ... veterans have a record of performance under pressure," Simon said in the speech, a copy of which was provided to Reuters.

""As our wars come to an end and our troops continue to come home, it's more important than ever that all of us - not just government, but our businesses and non-profits as well - do our part to serve those who have served us so bravely," Michelle Obama said in the Wal-Mart statement.

Walmart U.S. is the largest retail chain and the largest private employer in the United States, with about 1.3 million employees.""

edit on 15-1-2013 by GeneralMishka because: added quotes

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by GeneralMishka

At a time where jobs are scarce, any steps taken to help the returned VETs is A OK in my books. Good on walmart for making this step, maybe the next step will be to start purchasing their crap products from companies who actually employ people in North America.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Because you're too good to work at Walmart if you've had military service? I don't see the objection.

Oh, and Marie Antoinette never said any such thing, at least that can be verified.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Why should being able to perform under pressure be considered a primary reason for employment ?
Is it what will be required of them, to work under a lot of pressure ?

What about someone that's been held prisoner several years by terrorists ? Would that fit the job requirements ?
Or someone that just escaped death row... Or a child that's been abused all his life...

Pressure at work is the number one cause for several mental illnesses and often, physiological problems follow.

This does not make working conditions better, it doesn't solve the problem.

Bullies win.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
There is one reason and ONLY one reason that Walmart is taking this step... Vets are covered under the Veteran's Administration and do not require health insurance. Ok, maybe a second reason... it looks like nice PR assuming that the average American idiot has no clue about the ulterior motive.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

yea sure lets start hiring, highly unstable desensitized, brainwashed PTSD'd borderline psychopathic contracted killers at walmart....

im sure they'll make great door greeters

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I wonder how many actually are "coming home" and how many are being re-deployed to other arenas. Also, with all the young adults getting recruited, how many will we really have at home? I'd like to see those stats.

It sounds like "spin" or a PR stunt to look patriotic or something.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
A great many vets after leaving service continue their education and being able to get a part time job with a flexible schedule to fit with a students class requirements would be a great help. Then also those looking for full time work with supervisory experience as a NCO regardless of military occupation could transit easy to entry level management. This seems a win/win for everyone involved.

Of course if Walmart is beneath you, don't apply or shop there, that's easy too.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeneralMishka
"Let them eat cake" is the traditional translation of the French phrase "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche", spoken by Marie Antoinette learning that the peasants had no bread. The quote symbolized nobilitys obliviousness to the condition of the people. Today we hear that Michele Obama considers it an historic return for vets to look forward to FT & PT jobs at Walmart, which means if they have families they could require food stamps too

news.yahoo.com...
Hiring a veteran can be one of the best business decisions you make ... veterans have a record of performance under pressure," Simon said in the speech, a copy of which was provided to Reuters.

""As our wars come to an end and our troops continue to come home, it's more important than ever that all of us - not just government, but our businesses and non-profits as well - do our part to serve those who have served us so bravely," Michelle Obama said in the Wal-Mart statement.

Walmart U.S. is the largest retail chain and the largest private employer in the United States, with about 1.3 million employees.""

edit on 15-1-2013 by GeneralMishka because: added quotes

Good, now maybe they'll have more than 3 registers open during shopping rush hour.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
There is one reason and ONLY one reason that Walmart is taking this step... Vets are covered under the Veteran's Administration and do not require health insurance. Ok, maybe a second reason... it looks like nice PR assuming that the average American idiot has no clue about the ulterior motive.

Bingo!

This is complete and utter BS. These jobs are better than nothing but when you factor in how terrible these jobs are it isnt much better at all. What a slap in the face. My only hope is that the 100K vets can use this opportunity to bring to light the terrible pay and working conditions that Walmart employees have to deal with and maybe just maybe the public will take the vets more seriously than the Walmart employees that have already come forward.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

The vast majority of Vets do not get health insurance after they get out. Only Retired (15 or 20+ years of service), Medically Discharged (removed from service because the military absolutely broke them) and Vets with Service-Connected Disability of 30% or higher qualify for full VA health insurance. Less than 30% can get very specific coverage relating only to the injuries sustained.

I don't see how this changes anything. Most of my brothers and sisters in uniform could only find employment at box-stores yesterday, and the same is true today. Hopefully they will be educated about their education benefits, like the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
It always seemed like a sort of poetic justice to me that these people would enlist to catch bullets, be paraded around like they were heroes, then come home and stock merchandise for 30 years then die.

So much of the fantasy of service is a lie.

Any high schoolers out there thinking about it........stop and really think about it.

Think about what they'll have you doing. Not what the recruiter says you'll be doing but what they'll actually stick you with.

Decide now if you want to be a lifer or not because one quick in and out wont get you anything but a crappy school loan.

There is some serious emotional and intellectual retardation that comes along with signing up out of high school. If you're a putz in your senior year you're basically ensuring you'll be a putz that much longer by signing up. That whole "maturity, responsibility, etc..." thing is a crock. You hang out with the same losers you hung out with school and are never encouraged to grow as a human being.

Like most things it is what you make of it and can be good for you but most people dont bother to make anything of any opportunity.

When you read a story like this think about it. Think about what you're signing up for and why you're signing up for it.

A veteran plate on your car can't make up for a broken life in a double-wide or being thirty something and still drinking yourself unconscious every weekend with the same go-nowhere bunch of tools who's only topic of discussion is how #ty their jobs are or how hot the bartender is.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

This is nothing more then a publicity stunt to offset the fact that Walmart supported Obama's Obamacare and will also support gun control.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by underduck

I saw my neighbor's teenage daughter working at Walmart. I asked her why she was working there. She said she applied at Walmart and Safeway. Both offered her a job as cashier. Safeway paid min wage 7.80 and Walmart offered 9.00 and she gets a 10% discount shopping there. She said it was a easy decision and laughed.

So I wonder why more people don't go after other companies that pay lower for the same positions?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by k1k1to

yea sure lets start hiring, highly unstable desensitized, brainwashed PTSD'd borderline psychopathic contracted killers at walmart....

im sure they'll make great door greeters

At least the crowds will be well behaved on Black Friday.

Can you imagine the veterans yelling "GET BACK IN LINE YOU MAGGOTS!

edit on 15-1-2013 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

I am by no means saying that Walmart is the worst job out there but they are so big and so influential that their business decisions effect so many more lives than other chains. Their practices set the bar and others follow.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by underduck

But in your post you slammed Walmart for "terrible pay" and they are paying more than another company for the same position. Why not go after companies paying their employees even less than walmart?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I'm 2 semesters away from my Bachelor's Degree. I didn't spend a dime. Instead, I did 4 years in the US Navy, and 4 years in the US Army. In return, I get 36 months of college thanks to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, plus an additional 12 because I paid into the Montgomery before the Post was a thing.

What I'm saying is, I came out of the service with a head injury and PTSD that I can finally recognize and talk about, and I would still do it all agin. I have a chance for a good life, and so do my kids since I got out in California. I joined for job skills, but I stayed for the college. We get paid tuition, academic counseling, a book stipend of $1000/year and a generous monthly living allowance based on the area you go to school.

Whatever else you got to say about the military, and there are some serious nightmares to be had, there is nothing "crappy" about the Edf Benefits. Watch your mouth.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reading these post it's no wonder were a welfare country. Get rid of minimum wage would be a big help for everybody

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Im sorry but this debate goes far deeper than your neighbor's teenage daughter's claim that she is being started at $9/hr which is more than she was offered at Safeway. These are fine jobs for kids or people looking to do part time work for whatever reason. These are not wages to raise a family on.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join