It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theories About Death

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by insightout

Consciousness, in itself, is all in the brain. I thought that was an established fact?

To whom?
This is not what I have been taught and as far as science is concerned there is no reason to accept consciousness even exists.

Can you give me a definition of consciousness?

If I can help, who is it that witnessed me / you ask the question?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by bowtomonkey

Definition of Consciouness....I think therfore I am.

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

That's the definition of the ego

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

How can one have an ego if one has no consciousness?

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Consciousness is awareness and out of awareness comes the ego which says, 'I think therefore I am'.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

actually we are others food, just as others are others food, we all must sacrifice so others shall survive, its how its works, but we forfeit nothing, other than our host flesh, no harm no foul

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Shema

The Human Brain has at a minimum three distinct personalities that should work together.

A person has two forms of Consciousness in either side of the brain as there as one in the Left Hemisphere and one generated from the Right Hemisphere.

The Subconscious is the third consciousness and works as a Computer that records and stores all data that is recieved by our senses.

A persons ego can be a single generated combination of these three consciousnesses or it can be...Split.

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Death, the one mystery we may never solve. The reason religions were created in the first place, most likely. It is an odd thing to not be able to find something out, no matter what you try. Sure evidence points towards number 1, unfortunately, we really have no evidence what happens to the soul/conciousness (whatever else you wish to call it) when we die, and there's really no way to find out.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Hey man have some faith our ancient enlightened forfathers had knowledge of life after death. Hell heaven or purgatory. Right now hell can be a party if you make the best of it. It's trapping the fools and they're going to be basically annihilated a while in the future, all the remaining inhabitants will be left for dead and abandoned to wallow in their egotistical misery. Maybe millions of years, I don't know.

Heaven rules hell. It's not easy to be a saint for most people. After a while you get re-incarnated. If you're a saint you have much more freedom in that process.

Purgatory is worse than hell ATM.

Main point of religions IMO is be righteous or the quality of your life will deteriorate over re-incarnations. Being not-righteous (everything in-between is wicked) is a vicious cycle that many people will never escape, sadly some people have practically no hope in escaping it. Hell is dominated by the righteous who eventually will give up hope on those damned souls in hell when the lord decides it's about that time to close the pearly gates.

This is my dogma. # dogma. Believe what you want, as long as you believe in the one true god and creator of the universe.

Sorry to get religious on you but FYI I'm not a direct follower of any particular religion. The truth doesn't come from books, it comes from deep inside.

Good luck on your life journey all.
edit on 17-1-2013 by On7a7higher7plane because: ddition

edit on 17-1-2013 by On7a7higher7plane because: addition

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
The best and most poetic way I have ever heard this put was by Mark Twain when he said;

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

That, as far as I can tell is how it really is, anything else is just wishful thinking because I have never had a conversation or communication from someone who has died telling me otherwise. If I am scientifically honest then anything short of that as evidence will fail to change my view.

I prefer to think of it similar to falling asleep, one minute I am awake and thinking, the next.. poof... 8 hours of unconscious blackness later and it's morning... obvioulsy without the waking up part.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

It seems a little foolish to consider yourself lord god and creator of the entire universe doesn't it? I don't think you will have to worry about that.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by bdb818888

I love this and your signature.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

How can one have an ego if one has no consciousness?

An ego is a just thought witnessed by the consciousness

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by On7a7higher7plane

It seems a little foolish to consider yourself lord god and creator of the entire universe doesn't it? I don't think you will have to worry about that.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Just look in any direction. The first thing you will see is self imposed limitations. Do you know what reality lies behind the vague maps we use to discern what we do and don't like?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   

The ability to be conscious is unseperatable with the existence of EGO. These two cannot be separated.

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave_welch
Death, the one mystery we may never solve. The reason religions were created in the first place, most likely. It is an odd thing to not be able to find something out, no matter what you try. Sure evidence points towards number 1, unfortunately, we really have no evidence what happens to the soul/conciousness (whatever else you wish to call it) when we die, and there's really no way to find out.

Best to wait until you do die before deciding on an option. You will find out then I guarantee it.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   

If you want to split hairs by splitting consciousness into three parts that's okay by me, Split Infinity.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
It's number 1. When one dies it is total utter oblivion. No afterlife, no spirit lingering on whilst the physical body rots away..it is irrevocable. The physical material breaks down to molecular units and are reused or lay dormant. Personally, I will be cremated, and nothing of me will be left but for the memories of me that exist in the minds of surviving family and friends. We are nought but star dust, temporary physical units of intelligent sentience, but our brief spark is soon snuffed out by nature.

Life and existence has no other meaning or purpose but than that which nature imbues within us (we are born, we grow, we mate we die), and what we ourselves create for ourselves...man-made meaning dressed up in man-made esoterica. Life is nihilistic and purposeless, regardless of whatever you choose to believe or accept.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

The ability to be conscious is unseperatable with the existence of EGO. These two cannot be separated.

Split Infinity

The ego doesn't exist as a living entity. It is a product of thought. The rest is trickery.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by elysiumfire

So you are an automaton?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join