It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theories About Death

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I will go for

Theory 2: Reincarnation

since i found it hard to believe that everything stops and we just go into a everlasting blackout.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

wow!. . .

YOU are the reason this thread was worth reading.....just sayin'

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by R0CR13

If you are trying to say every system has the ability to do work, you'd be right. But that's not what you're saying isn't it. You're trying to tell everyone that everything is only energy, that nothing is solid, reality is an illusion and that if people try hard enough, they can walk through walls. Let's just say I'm glad you're not a scientist.

Look, we've had this argument before, and as soon as I bring up something you cannot refute, you attempt to discredit me by making comments about my name. You give predictability a bad name. Maybe you lost more than your mind when you crossed over into the spirit world.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Theory 1, Nothingness is probably correct but..... out of all the others, i would choose Reincarnation... probably one that make sense to me.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by R0CR13

If you are trying to say every system has the ability to do work, you'd be right. But that's not what you're saying isn't it. You're trying to tell everyone that everything is only energy, that nothing is solid, reality is an illusion and that if people try hard enough, they can walk through walls. Let's just say I'm glad you're not a scientist.

E=mc2.
youtu.be...
Check out this video, it is a mathematician. See what you think.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

That's pretty cool. I'm not a mathematician; so luckily for me, math only pertains to math.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by R0CR13

You're trying to tell everyone that everything is only energy, that nothing is solid, reality is an illusion and that if people try hard enough, they can walk through walls. Let's just say I'm glad you're not a scientist.

Nothing is appearing to be solid. Emptiness is form.
In a dream there is nothing there but it appears to be 'real', the dream appears to be full of soild things.

edit on 16-1-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

edit on 16-1-2013 by EL1A5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by EL1A5

That was weird.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Nothing is appearing to be solid. Emptiness is form.
In a dream there is nothing there but it appears to be 'real', the dream appears to be full of soild things.

That's simply not true. By nature, nothing cannot appear to be anything. The appearance of emptiness, nothingness or space is merely another appearance. Imagery in a dream is imagery in a dream, nothing more, nothing less.

Sure, on the micro scale there are perceivable gaps between the nucleus of an atom and the electrons, but we aren't composed of the space in atoms, we are composed of atoms and molecules. Solidity is a macro concept because we exist on a macro scale.

When I dream of a house do I believe a real solid house exists in my brain? Only if I were to confuse my dreams with reality.

What this has to do with death I am unsure, but deducing from our quantum concepts the maxims and platitudes we so eagerly apply to human life on the macro scale is a new age absurdity.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Most likely an animal is best prepared to start another life of the same kind, and then we see kittens following the same behavior as an adult cat, just as if it 'knows' everything from the start. Maybe that's due to its own memories

I hate to burst your bubble, but this is called biological instinct. You know, that handy little thing that developed over millions upon millions of years of evolution that assisted every living creature in survival?

Yeah, that.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I will say reincarnation.

There are many reports world-wide of children claiming to remember events from a past life. Some reports even claim that the children were taken to the location of which they use to reside and accurately described places and people.

Children who remembered past lives
edit on 16-1-2013 by EL1A5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Life and death is a series of cycles designed to help us explore the possibilities of existence. As we explore, we learn, and as we learn, we grow. If we are all part of an infinite existence, then death is necessary to prevent everything from becoming meaningless. Think of it as creating a new file on a computer and setting yourself up as a different set of parameters for a whole different experience. Again and again. You don't remember your past files, and you will always be making new files. Or the programmer or moderator will make it for you.

It's a lot like computers.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

That's simply not true. By nature, nothing cannot appear to be anything. The appearance of emptiness, nothingness or space is merely another appearance. Imagery in a dream is imagery in a dream, nothing more, nothing less.

Guess you never lucid dreamed than.

I compared the substance of matter in a dream with the one in waking "reality".

They taste the same, feel the same to touch....they are...the same. Hence, perception of everything is born in the mind/brain.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I think ti's rational to think NDE's or OBE's are chemical processes just like dreams.

However, to think that's the ONLY explanation IS tortured, as you state.

It's my enduring tendency to think that belief in an after-life or some larger purpose than is apparent to us is more affirming and not as insecure as the belief that after death there's nothingness. So people are encouraged to believe in something more because it makes them feel better. After all, wouldn't you rather believe that when you die you'll have 72 virgins on the other side and all the freedom and luxury desired, as opposed to believing you'll just be worm food and absolutely oblivious to everything and anything forever? If we can't know the extent of this life or can't change the circumstances of death then we may as well believe whatever makes us feel good.

If we humans are immortal or our purpose is much greater than is apparent given the knowledge we currently have, I'd expect this to also extend to the rest of the creatures on earth. I see no reason to give ourselves special privileges. This would include most or all of the animals and the aquatic creatures. Perhaps it would include all life-forms, including single-celled organisms. There're about 5 quadrillion ants on earth. The total number of ant cells is approximately equal to the number of human cells. From this you can guess that there're a LOT of creatures on earth!

What's the purpose of all of these creatures and organisms being given immortality or a greater purpose than is apparent to us right now? Is this what you mean by a scientific explanation for survival? But how can we know? All of reality might be our invention 5,000,000,000 years from now. So to know the full explanation you'd have to somehow survive about 5,000,000,000 years. This is like an ant trying to contemplate the motivations of a human being. I think the best explanation I've heard is that an advanced intergalactic civilization reached the limits of living and could no longer expand or learn anything new. Since no more knowledge could be gained, the answer was to forget it and then repeat the whole process anew. Thus, it intentionally stunted its development and relived life through the eyes of lower life-forms. This allowed them to continue surviving. There're lots of assumptions here. One of them is that we require the ability to learn new things and grow. The other is that some key portion of this advanced civilization would have to persevere in case it somehow failed. A sort of fail-safe mechanism. If it failed then it could use its universal knowledge to rescue itself. It would only do this for a short-time and then it would return to blissful ignorance.
edit on 16-1-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

It's actually fairly easy to dream lucidly. All dreams and ideas are derived from sensual experience, so it is fairly certain that the imagery in dreams will bear the same qualities.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Reincarnation. Everything in the universe is energy in one form or another. Scientists claim they have found the soul, i think the soul lives on as a form of energy and lives on forever. It does not have the ability to think, it just exists. It can not choose the form it will take when it reincarnates or we would all be born into wealthy families. It's reincarnation is completely random. ( I assume).or, reincarnation and God could be intertwined. Maybe God chooses our next reincarnation based on our past life.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

yet you say....

. Imagery in a dream is imagery in a dream, nothing more, nothing less.

It's not imagery...you can not touch that. I touched the wooden table in a dream. I felt it's edges, the wooden texture, the smell of the wood. I felt it in a dream fully awakened.

...but I guess you had to be there...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

Are you saying it was a real table then? You can feel and touch and smell that table because you've seen, touched and smelled a table before. It's a recreation, or a patch-work of recreations, from a plethora of past experiences.

Talk to a blind man about dreams. Why do people who've been blind their whole lives not dream of tables or people or houses? Is it perhaps because they have never seen any of those things?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Are you saying it was a real table then? You can feel and touch and smell that table because you've seen, touched and smelled a table before. It's a recreation, or a patch-work of recreations, from a plethora of past experiences.

Talk to a blind man about dreams. Why do people who've been blind their whole lives not dream of tables or people or houses? Is it perhaps because they have never seen any of those things?

When you look at the color red, what do you feel? What do you think? Are these ideas that are conjured at the sight of red ideas that define the color red? Or are these ideas you personally have ascribed to that color?

My point with those questions is that any idea is not absolute. Any idea will make connections to other ideas and then be defined by those connections. Quite often, it's not the idea itself but the connections we make with the idea that gives us comprehension of the idea. That's why it is so easy to control people. Form a connection, break old connections. You've just redefined an idea.

Let's bring this back to your post. You're talking about dreams being recreations...isn't that all we ever perceive? A recreation of raw data. We use someone else's comprehension to form our own impression. Our understanding is only as good as the understanding of those around us. As such, we redefine everything according to our abilities to define. You've seen a child draw a house? That's what I'm talking about.

Recreations? Every word we speak is a recreation of raw data, formatted for communication. And inevitably, some of it is lost. Some of it is colored by our opinion, our bias, our personality. It's a piece of artwork intended to convey an idea between separate minds. What is that but a recreation?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join