It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theories About Death

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Shema

Sounds good! If ya start it, I'll have to know!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Shema

Indeed, or maybe not, if nothing happens, how will you know it?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Your theory 3: Resurrection

When a person dies, their physical body deteriorates and their mental functioning ceases to exist for a period of time until a powerful entity (e.g. God) chooses to bring back their Consciousness to their body. Consciousness was suspended temporarily, not removed. This might be done for the purpose of judgement.

doesn't fit the definition. Resurrect simply means: to restore. The way you broke it down comes off like something gets to choose what eventually gets re-assembled.

No offense OP but I think you're stretching your point. When we die either something happens or nothing happens. It's really quite simple. Perhaps some of us turn into stars (universal not Hollywood)? Perhaps some go back to the start as Coldplay says. Speaking of which....this video says it all. You can't argue with facts. And if you agree with it then - it's obvious we're all connected and nothing dies.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Awhile back, and I can't remember where I heard it, someone said that after death there is an existence on another "plane". The deceased existing on this plane view the motal world as if looking through a rainsoaked window from the outside. This description was supposedly channeled by a medium. Of course, until a dead person sits down for an interview, we will never be sure. Of the approximately 170 billion people that have passed during the history of the earth, not one has come back and gave the story of what lies on the "other" side.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by WanDash

But – to the issue at hand…
Your second post/comment concerns a “spirit team”, and points to other disciplines “accepting” said notion. There may be some kind of scientific backing for this notion, but, I doubt that it is so broad as to include the many (participants in this thread) who say/believe “life & awareness are simply related to the physical flesh/brain, and when the brain is no longer functioning – the individual/soul/personality perishes”.
I know your comment/s had to do, specifically, with past life memories (thus – a belief in reincarnation), and it appears to be a plausible explanation.

Thank you for engaging me.
Many mediums (also some disciplines, I suppose) claim that "spirit teams" exist and that they consult with their own teams. I don't know that they actually do, but I referred to them, since I find that it's best to point to a well-known example when explaining something. As far as I know, there aren't any published scientific studies that suggest such a thing, but then Science is a dog chasing a car, and always will be. That's the nature of science. It never leads. It verifies.

On the other hand – it seems that you lump a lot of people together in fairly simplistic (stereotypical) categories, if they believe in some other world-views. I would fall into at least one such group (though your depiction comes nowhere near what I consider more likely).

I worked to get you to engage.
I'm satisfied with its effect within this thread.

If you don’t mind – and have a view – how does your theory that regards past-life memories relate (or, apply) to what is currently known as “multiple personality disorder”?

I actually do have a notion considering Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) and its relationship with the concept of Reincarnation. In fact, they are closely related, with the degree of interference being the determining factor. Let me see if I can be concise enough to keep from going over my word limit here.

DID is generally traced to young childhood trauma - physical or sexual - and the mind's need to create a personality that can "handle" the abuse as a stand-in for the extremely vulnerable psyche of the child during the attacks. As the child grows older, the stand-in personality (in classic DID cases) becomes the go-to surrogate for any and all abusive situations (the neural pathways become much more pronounced and profound in this manner, and it becomes a default survival response).

This is already known to be generally the case, but what confounds researchers is how it can sometimes be that a fully realized personality (some that are adult in sophistication and possessing talents and even physical predilections - like left-handedness - that defy explanation) can be crafted by a mind that hasn't even crafted its own unique and fully realized personality yet. Keep in mind that some of these alternate personalities are quite comprehensive, and all alternate personalities "know" about the host personality while that host is not conscious of the alternates - even if, through therapy, the host is knowledgeable of the existence of an alternate's existence. This is important to remember.

Now, as to how a "spirit team" member can be responsible - it almost seems obvious when one considers the existence of these "teams" even if there doesn't seem to be any logical basis for their existence (in fact, there is, but that would take 1,000s of words of digression to properly explain why they exist as they do). The truth is that they do exist, and most folks have a team or even just one or two passed folks lingering and associated with them (for reasons that you'd probably find to be pretty mundane and maybe even a little depressing, but I don't wish to digress here). It's also true that they are human beings, and they think and respond like human beings when witnessing something terrible (like the abuse of a very young child).

It can happen that a "spirit team" member will react to impending horrific abuse by "seizing" the cognitive functions of the newly vulnerable brain (the mind provides a necessary "bio-feedback" capability that enables sentience to be more functionally dynamic) to protect the fledgling psyche during the trauma. This cognition transfer is then forever part of the brain's "memory cloud" but in a much more profound manner - establishing an entire initialized personality data sub-vault within that cloud that has been "tagged" as an emergency survival response going forward. The abuse - if repeated - triggers this go-to default response, and that alternate personality data vault is further developed and enhanced with each activation as rumination and learned response. Effectively creating the host's own unique version of that "team member's" original personality that was introduced during that one initiating trauma.

I'm out of words, but that's the basic gist of it. Thanks.
edit on 1/17/2013 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnBreakable

Of course, until a dead person sits down for an interview, we will never be sure. Of the approximately 170 billion people that have passed during the history of the earth, not one has come back and gave the story of what lies on the "other" side.

Well, it'd kind of like trying to climb back into your mom's womb to tell your unborn little brother about what it's like to be out here and walking around. He wouldn't "get it" (his brain isn't even formed yet) and why bother. He'll be along soon enough anyway.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The D.I.D. theory really doesn't explain Michael Newton and Linda Backmans 40 years of research with many thousands of people that have been regressed. Surely, even the majority of them could not possibly have had traumatic or abusive upbringings. I have never come across this as well.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
I don't claim to know exactly what happens when an individual passes away, but I thought it would be interesting to put forth some popular theories and see what others think. While the topic can be rather fascinating, it can also be uncomfortable for many reasons - the uncertainty that surrounds it, the worry for the welfare of those who have passed on, resolving conflicts between personal beliefs and learned beliefs, etc.

Nevertheless, I thought I would include basic summaries of my current views for the possibilities that death holds for each of us. Please feel free to comment on my views or present your own views on what might happen when an individual passes away.

Theory 1: Nothingness

When a person dies, all physical functions and mental functions cease to operate. No form of consciousness exists and no portion of the individual's physical body, mental processes or 'spirit' pass on to another stage of existence. There is literally nothing left of the individual; they cease to be.

Theory 2: Reincarnation

When a person dies, their physical body disintegrates, but a part of their being (e.g. Soul or Consciousness) does survive to experience another form of existence in a physical vehicle. This may be in the same realm or a different dimension altogether. The physical vehicle changes, but some form of mental capacity of the previous life is preserved.

Theory 3: Resurrection

When a person dies, their physical body deteriorates and their mental functioning ceases to exist for a period of time until a powerful entity (e.g. God) chooses to bring back their Consciousness to their body. Consciousness was suspended temporarily, not removed. This might be done for the purpose of judgement.

Theory 4: Spiritual World

When a person dies, their physical body disintegrates, but a part of their being (e.g. Energy) continues to survive in the spiritual realm. No physical vehicles exist and passed loved ones can be directly communicated with if they are at the same stage of spiritual progression.

Theory 5: The Show Is Over

When a person dies, they enter a different realm of existence where they come to the realisation that they planned their whole experience in the physical world and life was essentially a show that they created to entertain themselves. Their Consciousness survives and they are able to communicate with others that are at the same stage of progression.

Do your views fall in line with any of the above, or do you have a unique perspective on Death?

The shocking thing is that there seems to be very little interesting in studying the key to know about the other side. That is the transition between sleep and waking up. This is one of the GREATEST TRAGEDIES in understanding what is going on on the other side. Because you INDEED can see on the other side from that standpoint. I've mentioned to doctors about this and they just pass it off as very little.

Talk about stupidity

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I would have to go with the #1 option, deader than a door knob theory. Anything else would be (as said earlier) me just lying to myself to make death easier. Our conscious and self awareness comes from our brain ... without our brain it's lights out. If I take my hard drive and smash it bits to where the information is unrecoverable ... why won't my hard drive reincarnate .. why wouldn't it go into a spirit realm?

Basically, what the hell makes humans any more special than anything else that gets destroyed and that's it?

As much as humans think they are special ... sadly they are not. The Earth will be here long after humans are gone and the Universe will be here long after the Earth is gone.

The ones who believe anything besides lights out are in denial. No one knows what happens when we die but the default answer is nothing. So to add on to that with nothing but wishful dreams is to live in delusion and fantasy.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
To be honest, I'm not sure what I believe happens when we die. Something between absolute nothingness and some kind of transfer of energy—not necessarily out-and-out reincarnation, but something along the lines of seeing that spark of energy that we all have, and that I think runs through us all like so many connecting filaments, re-emerge as a flower, tree, fish, bird, or, yes, another human. I think every single thing in our universe shares energy, that we all, and everything, are floating together in an ocean of energy, and that there's a constant re-shaping and re-aligning of that energy, just like the way waves move across the ocean's surface. Things are in constant motion in the ocean, they get jostled and uprooted and re-settled, they die and decompose and "come back", so to speak, by feeding other organisms or by being absorbed by the ocean itself...peace,sugarcookie1 S&F

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Nothing is appearing to be solid. Emptiness is form.
In a dream there is nothing there but it appears to be 'real', the dream appears to be full of soild things.

That's simply not true. By nature, nothing cannot appear to be anything. The appearance of emptiness, nothingness or space is merely another appearance. Imagery in a dream is imagery in a dream, nothing more, nothing less.

Sure, on the micro scale there are perceivable gaps between the nucleus of an atom and the electrons, but we aren't composed of the space in atoms, we are composed of atoms and molecules. Solidity is a macro concept because we exist on a macro scale.

When I dream of a house do I believe a real solid house exists in my brain? Only if I were to confuse my dreams with reality.

What this has to do with death I am unsure, but deducing from our quantum concepts the maxims and platitudes we so eagerly apply to human life on the macro scale is a new age absurdity.

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

When you appear to die here, another dream appears.
You are just viewing a dream now and nothing will change for you when you apparently die.
In a dream you have at night do you ever remember who you are or what you do in waking state? In a dream you are just seeing and being aware, the same as now.

The seeing and being aware is eternal.

Humans are obsessed with logic, belief is given to thought. A word like 'death' brings with it many thoughts, ideas and beliefs.
This is all there will ever be. The dreaming will continue eternally.
Life is but a dream.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnBreakable

Awhile back, and I can't remember where I heard it, someone said that after death there is an existence on another "plane". The deceased existing on this plane view the motal world as if looking through a rainsoaked window from the outside. This description was supposedly channeled by a medium. Of course, until a dead person sits down for an interview, we will never be sure. Of the approximately 170 billion people that have passed during the history of the earth, not one has come back and gave the story of what lies on the "other" side.

Your dead wrong about that... one man did come back...
you are just to blind in the world to see the truth

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by steve95988

Your dead wrong about that... one man did come back...
you are just to blind in the world to see the truth

Another theory. Unless, of course, you can provide incontrovertible proof.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Yes, the time between being alert and being asleep is when your brainwaves go down into beta, delta and theta brainwave levels. That is the same level that we achieve during hypnosis and meditation. So, yes, that is how you access any sort of memories.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Humans are obsessed with logic, belief is given to thought. A word like 'death' brings with it many thoughts, ideas and beliefs.
This is all there will ever be. The dreaming will continue eternally.
Life is but a dream.

Dreams are dreams. Life is life.

Dreams only prove that thought doesn't stop when one is asleep. Even when our senses go to sleep, the mind is at work making what little sense it can of the constant flow of thought, even despite the lack of sensual input to keep it grounded in reality. This is why one doesn't die when he dies in a dream, because what is going on in the dream isn't really happening.

Logic, thought and belief is a part of human nature. It is this way because it is this way. Trying to change that is trying to go against all that is. Instead of eradicating it, you should embrace it.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I don't believe any of them with any degree of firmness, because I don't know. I can say that the first possibility may seem the most probable, because everything I can see and measure says so. But then, I can only see and measure a small sliver of the entire audio-visual and electromagnetic spectrum science knows for a fact are physically real (at least without specialized instrumentation.)

There always remains the conceivable possibility that there are properties or dimensions into which we have no, and can have no insight or comprehension that allow for consciousness beyond our physical demise. There's no compelling evidence of that by my standards, but we cannot prove a negative. So the possibility exists.

Thus, I'm skeptically agnostic. I don't "believe in" any of these possibilities with any particular weight. Peace.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

Good sir, thank you. I have no doubt of these things. Memories of past lives that seem so familiar yet so far from my waking dreams.

I've pieced together a lot, but It all heralds from some shyza I've had since I was little. Some industrial emissions and the smell of mothballs reminds me of being in a cramped suburb in Britain during the turn of the century. My room had one window, and there were old newspapers covering the walls for some reason. I'm pretty sure I was an Electrician, or some handyman like that.

I agree. Make preparations in life, so to make the release all the greater

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shema

reply to post by vethumanbeing

I understand what you are saying. You need to look deeper.

No offense, but this is something Yogi Babashi would have told me when I was 13 after he gave me my mantra. Any other help very appreciated I now admit myself as a neophyte.
edit on 16-1-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

No offense taken, I don't expect much from a neophyte. Thanks for informing me.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

None the less, you dodged the question with a brush off which I convieniently gave you; and you bit it; I don't need to look any shallower than your surface bubble replies.
edit on 17-1-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHANQ
The D.I.D. theory really doesn't explain Michael Newton and Linda Backmans 40 years of research with many thousands of people that have been regressed. Surely, even the majority of them could not possibly have had traumatic or abusive upbringings. I have never come across this as well.

Child abuse doesn't cause past life regression recall under hypnosis, it causes authentic DID, which is pretty rare. Don't confuse a person undergoing past life regression hypnotherapy with a person who suffers from Dissociative Identity Disorder. They're two completely different kinds of people. One is functional and fairly normal, and the other experiences complete time loss during which another fully-developed personality assumes the helm. Michael Newton and Linda Backman don't treat DID and never have. They give people hypnosis rides, and have built their careers on giving people hypnosis rides.

Did you even read my post? If you did, then you might consider examining why it is that you were completely unable to comprehend what you read. This obvious reading comprehension weakness might be affecting other important areas of your life, and you're likely not even aware of it.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I did not read all posts, because there is no point in discussing this unless you truly understand and believe, that we are all ONE. This way you can open a whole new world for yourself and get another understanding of everything.
For some it will take time, for others it will never happen until they "die". There is no word as "death", it's always a new beginning. But we are forced to think otherwise in this material world.
I would rather say - open your mind and let it thrive it's natural way how it supposed to be.
We came here and chose this experience to learn. No need to go deeper into this subject, but release your fear and you will be just fine.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Izak4K because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-1-2013 by Izak4K because: no reason

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join