It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theories About Death

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I don't claim to know exactly what happens when an individual passes away, but I thought it would be interesting to put forth some popular theories and see what others think. While the topic can be rather fascinating, it can also be uncomfortable for many reasons - the uncertainty that surrounds it, the worry for the welfare of those who have passed on, resolving conflicts between personal beliefs and learned beliefs, etc.

Nevertheless, I thought I would include basic summaries of my current views for the possibilities that death holds for each of us. Please feel free to comment on my views or present your own views on what might happen when an individual passes away.

Theory 1: Nothingness

When a person dies, all physical functions and mental functions cease to operate. No form of consciousness exists and no portion of the individual's physical body, mental processes or 'spirit' pass on to another stage of existence. There is literally nothing left of the individual; they cease to be.

Theory 2: Reincarnation

When a person dies, their physical body disintegrates, but a part of their being (e.g. Soul or Consciousness) does survive to experience another form of existence in a physical vehicle. This may be in the same realm or a different dimension altogether. The physical vehicle changes, but some form of mental capacity of the previous life is preserved.

Theory 3: Resurrection

When a person dies, their physical body deteriorates and their mental functioning ceases to exist for a period of time until a powerful entity (e.g. God) chooses to bring back their Consciousness to their body. Consciousness was suspended temporarily, not removed. This might be done for the purpose of judgement.

Theory 4: Spiritual World

When a person dies, their physical body disintegrates, but a part of their being (e.g. Energy) continues to survive in the spiritual realm. No physical vehicles exist and passed loved ones can be directly communicated with if they are at the same stage of spiritual progression.

Theory 5: The Show Is Over

When a person dies, they enter a different realm of existence where they come to the realisation that they planned their whole experience in the physical world and life was essentially a show that they created to entertain themselves. Their Consciousness survives and they are able to communicate with others that are at the same stage of progression.

Do your views fall in line with any of the above, or do you have a unique perspective on Death?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

For a while now I have been thinking very hard about all of this. I bounce back and forth between numbers

It will really make me angry if it is all just some cosmic sick joke that I myself created!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Theory 1. Often people don't want to believe this because they think it's boring, but I think it's that simple, because I think life and conciousness is just chemical reactions and electrical signals. That's what I will believe until it's proven to be wrong, because that's what appears to be true.
edit on 15-1-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
i would like reincarnation personally it is just something i wish would happen.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by misse2miss
i would like reincarnation personally it is just something i wish would happen.

And I think that's why many people believe what they believe, whether they realise it or not.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
There is no such thing as nothingness , because nothing is still something . Your soul / energy/ consciousness got to go somewhere, because the universe doesn't waste nothing.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by bdb818888
There is no such thing as nothingness , because nothing is still something . Your soul / energy/ consciousness got to go somewhere, because the universe doesn't waste nothing.

Nothingness as in your soul/conciousness is non-existent (as explained in the OP). No one is suggesting the matter that makes up your body vanishes in to thin air when you die... Nothingness from your perspective, or lack of perspective. If conciousness is simply electrical signals like it seems to be then this is probably the answer.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
All evidence points to number one. But I think it wrong to assume that it's some sort of 'nothingness.'

Like a broken lyre, when the body ceases it no longer creates the harmony it did when it functioned, and every song it used to play is never played again. If one played nothing but beautiful music while he was alive, his song is sure to be replayed in the memory of others.

Nothingness isn't an option, as the materials of the body always get folded back into the flow of things. The only thing that ends is the song.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
All evidence points to number one. But I think it wrong to assume that it's some sort of 'nothingness.'

Like a broken lyre, when the body ceases it no longer creates the harmony it did when it functioned, and every song it used to play is never played again. If one played nothing but beautiful music while he was alive, his song is sure to be replayed in the memory of others.

Nothingness isn't an option, as the materials of the body always get folded back into the flow of things. The only thing that ends is the song.

And as that famous philosopher Led Zeppelin said, the song remains the same.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Theory 1 - Boring and my gut says it's not true, until you can prove that nothing happens I choose not to believe this.

Theory 2 - The First Law of Thermodynamics provides for the preservation of energy under all circumstances: A given quantity of energy can be endlessly converted, recycled and diluted, but it will never cease to exist. Murphy's Laws

Theory 3 - How dare a all knowing/powerful God judge me, as far as I'm aware I did not chose to be born or chose the circumstances that is my life, guess I'm going to hell if this is true. Atleast it's by choice.

Theory 4 - This is nice and all but it begs the question, where are all these new souls comming from?

Theory 5 - This theory is the closest to my own beliefs, I am we are GOD experiencing myself through individualism.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

When you appear to die here, another dream appears.
You are just viewing a dream now and nothing will change for you when you apparently die.
In a dream you have at night do you ever remember who you are or what you do in waking state? In a dream you are just seeing and being aware, the same as now.

The seeing and being aware is eternal.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
Theory 1. Often people don't want to believe this because they think it's boring, but I think it's that simple, because I think life and conciousness is just chemical reactions and electrical signals. That's what I will believe until it's proven to be wrong, because that's what appears to be true.

so you are telling me that our brain is the only organ in existence that has become self aware of its own existence?...

or

is there something else "observing" us i.e our soul or spirit ?

why isnt our heart self aware of its own existence?...why cant the heart or spleen or kidney think about itself?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Theory 1 is out of the option. Energy cannot be destroyed, only transformed(recycled). Even if one imagines itself in total nothingness, there is ALWAYS an awareness in the background being aware of this nothingness, so no. One will always be AWARE even when dreaming. You may not have a full control of your dream but there is awareness. Death is like a lucid dream. I believe when one dies the consciousness (soul) travels through the tunnel of (third eye) until it reaches the astral. This is where the soul rests and recollects itself until the next journey.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

Do you dream? I hope so. Well, wouldn't you say there is awareness outside of your body? Ever heard of lucid dreaming? Out of body experience? Lack of knowledge and experience dictate peoples beliefs so i don't blame you. But....you are in for a big surprise my friend.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to

Do you happen to know anyone who has ever had an NDE?
There are several on here that I know of.
What were their experiences?
I, for one, would tend to believe those who have had these Near Death Experiences
over mainstream science.
With that being said....I subscribe to none of your theories...

I believe that when a person dies, that their spirit and soul immediately are reunited with their creator.
Their physical bodies are left here to reunite with the earth in which they were made. When Christ was on the cross and the thief was hanging next to him, He said that on that day, the man would be in paradise with him. And many peoples witnessed seeing ghosts of their loved ones walk around town. (that's a whole other story though).

Our physical bodies are what is "resurrected". I do not believe in reincarnation or nothingness. I believe that all humans are given repeated chances to live "right" with the rising of the sun each day...that would be tens of thousands of chances for the majority.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
For theory number three, there are two different perspectives for Christian resurrection -- the minority view is what you describe there, that people 'sleep' in Christ before the Final Judgement and physical resurrection. The majority of Protestants, as well as the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches, believe that there is an immediate judgement, and we remain awake with God in a non-corporeal form, until the Final Judgement and physical resurrection. Where that is, and what our form is, varies among different belief systems.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Where were we before we were born? As Theory 1 would suggest, we never existed (at least there is no evidence to support this). As it was in the beginning so shall it be in the end...I hope i am wrong....

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Reincarnation seems the most "logical" to me

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by darktouch
Reincarnation seems the most "logical" to me

Actually, the most logical would be the "oblivion" theory -- there is no real evidence that we are anything other than self-aware animals, ruled by chemicals and instincts, so it takes belief (aka: a leap in logic) to see things otherwise.

As for reincarnation, there are a lot of problems with it -- where do "new souls" come from? As the population increases, either new souls are being made, or most people are soulless. How are people supposed to progress if they have no accumulated memory? How are you supposed to learn from past life experiences if almost no one remembers them? Why does such an insignificant number of the population remember past lives, and why are a disparate proportion of those lives notable (remembering being a prince or hero, as opposed to the peasants and serfs who made up the vast, vast majority of humankind over the millennia?) If there is such a thing as karma, who administers it, and what's the point? Why do people who live in a culture that believes in reincarnation have past life memories that perfectly mirror those beliefs, even when they are in opposition with another culture whose beliefs are completely different, yet also supported by claims of past life memories?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Ovadose

Theory 1 - Boring and my gut says it's not true, until you can prove that nothing happens I choose not to believe this.

Have you ever watched someone die? There's nothing boring about it. Your gut is telling you it's not true because it implies the end of something that wants nothing but to preserve itself.

The other theories are gut-feelings based on speculations and philosophical musings. Only one who allows himself to be seduced by his own credulity can believe them.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join