It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Constrain the Width of In-Thread Images

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Lately, we've been seeing any number of threads containing uploaded images that are too wide to be viewed in their entirety. They overflow the main text column, so that one only sees part of the image and has to use the slider below the image window to shift it around in order to view the whole of it, one part at a time.

This is extremely unsatisfactory, as well as unnecessary. I'm sure members don't really want to post oversized images. It's just that the board software reproduces the images at the size they are uploaded.

A way to solve the problem of oversized images would be to make it impossible to post an image to a thread if it is over a specified number of pixels wide (the same should apply to avatars, too). If someone feels it's necessary to show an image that is bigger than the thread, they could upload it to their personal folder on ATS and simply post a link.

If this proves impossible due to software constraints, ATS should at least specify an appropriate width limit for images posted in threads (as they already to for avatars) and display the limit prominently where it can be seen when someone goes to post an image.

edit on 15/1/13 by Astyanax because: of accidental gibberish.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Or people could just resize their images in Paint/Photoshop/Graphics software of choice. Takes about 20 seconds.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
There's also a weird bug associated with the embedded images, if they're just the wrong size.

If you view this post you'll see a graphic that I embedded, and it's chopped off on the right, but you can't scroll it. But if you right click and open the image in a new window, you'll see that the whole thing is there, it's just not being displayed correctly.

The image is 721 x 660, if that's any help.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The optimum width is 580 pixels, anything else will introduce the scroll-bar which, I agree, is frustrating (except for HD 1080 images where clarity / crispness is essential.

ADJENSEN
I need to see this for myself because I have not come across this before........

Original....

Reduced to 580 pixels wide....

OK, as can be seen the first image has the scroll-bar therefore I can only surmise that the thread or forum itself has the glitch - worth Kinglizard or DTOM taking a look to see if it was just a once off.
edit on 15-1-2013 by Sublimecraft because: Added reduced image

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

It might also be my use of the "atsimg" tag, rather than the "pic" tag that you used there.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

No, I literally copy / paste as per highlighted below for all images I post - do a "quote" reply to it and you will see the full code. The [atsimg] is a centralising code and I only have this for my signature.

edit on 15-1-2013 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Right, I prefer the "atsimg" tag, which uses the "External Full URL Link" in that screen, but which centers the image on the screen -- perhaps it doesn't do the scrolling thing ever, though I'm pretty sure that it does normally.

... and to answer my own question, it no longer does that, if it ever did -- first picture uses "atsimg", second uses "pic". So never mind

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/op504eabfe.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I like having the option of scrolling on a wider image, as it provides more detail than you would get with resizing it.

I suppose it really all depends on what the image is and why it is being posted in the first place.
edit on 15-1-2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Right click and open the image in a new tab will display the full sized pic without the scrollbars

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Not allowing people to upload larger pics is a stupid way to do it.

The problem can easily be solved on the server side by simply attaching a width parameter to the img tag.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
You can resize the images in the posts yourself by using the tag [ ats ] without the spaces and giving it a width and height.

For example [ ats=500x300 ] will give you

Or if you want to keep the images aspect ratio the same you can leave off the height variable so
[ ats=500x ] will give you

You have to use the images full url for this to work
edit on 15/1/13 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Nice, thanks Dave!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Also, if you use the image tag provided by the ATS image uploader, the maximum width is 580 pixels, and the aspect ratio is maintained.

The below image is actually 5,000 pixels wide:

But I used the "use in a post" BBcode provided by the tool.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Also, if you use the image tag provided by the ATS image uploader, the maximum width is 580 pixels, and the aspect ratio is maintained.

The below image is actually 5,000 pixels wide:

But I used the "use in a post" BBcode provided by the tool.

I don't get it -- in the above example of mine, the scrolling image is the tag provided by the image uploader (there's no other way to upload images, is there?) and yet I get the scroll thing, not a scaled image.

Actually, now that I go up and look at my old post, it no longer has the scroll bar, it's now scaled, so someone changed something in the code in the past day

So it seems like Astyanax's original concern has been addressed, thanks!

(Now you can get ready for people complaining that they liked it the old way because big pictures didn't lose detail due to scaling, lol.)

new topics

top topics

join