It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama won the election but so did the Republicans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
President Obama and the Democrats act as if they have this mandate to do anything that Obama wants. The truth is the American people always voted in a way that kept control of the House to the Republicans.

Obama has this sort of my way or the highway message and he says it's because I won the election. The fact is American kept the Government divided. This means they want something to get done that isn't just one sided.

Obama basically thinks everyone should do what he says cause he's Obama. I think Americans will rue the day the turned a politician into a god. The Obama worship could sadly send this Country into a Civil War.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by neoholographic

Originally posted by neoholographic
President Obama and the Democrats act as if they have this mandate to do anything that Obama wants.

What specific actions have they taken that make you think this? How do they "act as if they have this mandate"?

Obama has this sort of my way or the highway message and he says it's because I won the election.

What specifically has Obama said or done that makes you think he has this "my way or the highway" message?

Obama basically thinks everyone should do what he says cause he's Obama.

What specifically, has Obama done or said that shows you that he thinks everyone should do what he says because he's Obama?

Instead of saying "he acts like" this, he "has this attitude" or "he thinks" this or that, please provide concrete examples of his ACTIONS or WORDS that cause you to have this opinion. Or is this just a feeling you have?

Do you know what "redistricting" is?

Read about how the GOP used the census and redistricting in 2000 and 2010 to gain control of the house.

In evenly split Ohio, redistricting gives GOP 12-4 edge in congressional seats
edit on 1/15/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I think many people share this opinion of President Obama because of his "closed door" policy making.

And his statements that people that don't agree are "on the other team" (I could have mangled that part).

If you and I had to build a fence and you wanted wood and I wanted metal, we are still on the same team. We simply disagree on the process. We would offer pros and cons to our ideas and make a decision together (at least I would hope thats how it works). President Obama hasn't done that. He has come up with ideas and said agree to these or you are on the other team.

While running for office he kept saying he offered $2.50 in cuts for every $1 in taxes. Once elected it turned into $43 in taxes for every $1 in cuts. (these are not actual numbers, just ballpark). Now he is saying "no ransom" "no negotiation", he is likening the republican party to terrorists.

I don't like President Obama, but there should never be "teams" when it comes to running the American government. They are all supposed to be on the same team. The team that does whats right for the American people (not what falls in line with a party agenda). BOTH parties are guilty of this and I cannot think of a way to change it.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Originally posted by 200Plus
I think many people share this opinion of President Obama because of his "closed door" policy making.

Again, what, specifically has he done that shows this "closed-door" policy?

And his statements that people that don't agree are "on the other team" (I could have mangled that part).

Yeah, I think you mangled that.

President Obama hasn't done that. He has come up with ideas and said agree to these or you are on the other team.

Please shoe me where he said this.

. (these are not actual numbers, just ballpark).

So, you don't have the real numbers and proof that they're correct? And you mangle his own words... See, that's my point. You tell me that many people agree with this assessment. Duh! I'm asking for proof. Without ACTUAL facts, this is all just opinion. Some people don't like him, and make things up in their minds about how he thinks, what he feels and how he "acts"...

I'm not going to defend him against accusations that are living in your head. Granted, Obama has done plenty that I disagree with, but to state that he's not trying to work with the GOP is just simply untrue. He has tried for four years to work with them. They have made it their business to obstruct ANYTHING he tries to do in order to make him seem like a failure. Fortunately, most of the voting public sees through that.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I do apologize, I am working on homework and cannot do the research. I will repost and fix my statements when I get back from school and/or have some time. I admit that I should not have posted without hard facts, I just wanted to voice an opinion. It's the worst thing to do against the people firmly planted in their camps (not directed at you, this is just a pre-emptive statement).

EDIT
Enemies

Doors

Doors

Debate spending cuts/tax plan
And the way we do it is $2.50 for every cut, we ask for $1 of additional revenue, paid for, as I indicated earlier, by asking those of us who have done very well in this country to contribute a little bit more to reduce the deficit.

Fiscal cliff deal
Fiscal Cliff Deal Has 41:1 Ratio of Tax Increases to Spending Cuts

edit on 15-1-2013 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
His policy of wanting to bypass congress on gun control is going to cause real problems and just about shut down congress.

My guess in two years Obama will lose a number of seats in congress to the republicans as he does starts pi**ing people off.

When Obama makes statements like this you are going to see problems if he tries to bypass congress and the states.
"I have executive powers over guns..."
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Gun control laws will work in NY the same as Alaska. and taking property will not go over very good with the public and banning guns and requiring forced turn-ins of guns will never work..

And large taxes or expensive permits that the rich only can afford will leave the middle class feeling they are being left defenseless and crime will rise because the criminals will still have guns and pay no special taxes or get the permits.

edit on 15-1-2013 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Just because the republicans retained the majority in the House doesn't mean that they won anything. Actually, a majority of americans voted for a democratic House but because of a little thing known as "gerrymandering," the republicans managed to retain their seats DESPITE the will of the people.

www.post-gazette.com...

So in my book, whatever it is that you think they won is actually just an illusion. If anything, they stole what they now have and if they continue to ignore the will of the people, via tactics like voter suppression and gerrymandering, it will only lead to their total demise as a political party in the future. Actually, I think their little party is already over, they just don't know it yet.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Obama just said at his press conference that he won the election and this battle has been fought and he won. The little fact that Obama and the Democrats who worship him keep leaving out is the the Republicans won also.

Of course you want to make it seem like the Republicans won because they stole the House through redistricting. This is what Kool-Aid drinkers say. Rather it's from Republicans or Democrats. When Democrats win the House Republicans say the same thing that you're saying. It's just silly kool aid drinkers who can't accept that people voted the other party into power. Do both parties play games with redistricting? Of course they do and both parties cry and complain when the other party wins. Give me a break!

Here's a little of Obama at his press conference.

President Obama took questions from the White House press corps for the better part of 50 minutes on Monday morning but the entire message of his news conference could be summed up in two words: I won.

* “I intend to carry out the agenda that I campaigned on — an agenda for new jobs, new opportunity, and new security for the middle class.”

* “If we want to have a conversation about how to reduce our deficit, let’s have that. We’ve been having that for the last two years. We just had an entire campaign about it. And by the way, the American people agreed with me, that we should reduce our deficits in a balanced way, that also takes into account the need for us to grow this economy, and put people back to work.”

* “[Republicans have] got a particular view of what government should do and should be. And, you know, that view was rejected by the American people when it was debated during the presidential campaign.”

www.washingtonpost.com...

The President and his followers are delusional. The Republicans control the House. So, Obama doesn't have Pelosi and Reid running the House and the Senate anymore.

If Republicans had any balls, they would have came out and said, we won too. So Obama's victory doesn't mean every liberal ideological fantasy that he and the Democrats have has to be passed. But of course, Obama threatened more executive order if he doesn't get his way.

Here's some of Obama's Executive Orders.

* Executive Order 10990 allows the Government to take over all modes of transportation and control of highways and seaports.
* Executive Order 10995 allows the government to seize and control the communication media.
* Executive Order 10997 allows the government to take over all electrical power, gas, petroleum, fuels, and minerals.
* Executive Order 11000 allows the government to mobilize civilians into work brigades under government supervision.
* Executive Order 11001 allows the government to take over all health education and welfare functions.
Executive Order 11002 designates the Postmaster General to operate a national registration of all persons.
* Executive Order 11005 allows the government to take over railroads, inland waterways, and public storage facilities.
* Executive Order 11051 specifies the responsibility of the Office of Emergency Planning and gives authorization to put all Executive Orders into effect in times of increased international tensions and economic or financial crisis.
* Executive Order 11049 assigns emergency preparedness function to federal departments and agencies, consolidating 21 operative Executive Orders issues over a fifteen-year period.
* Executive Order 11310 grants authority to the Department of Justice to enforce the plans set out in Executive Orders, to institute Industrial support, to establish judicial and legislative liaison, to control all aliens, to operate penal and correctional institutions, and to advise and assist the President.
* Executive Order 11921 allows the Federal Emergency Preparedness Agency to develop plans to establish control over the mechanisms of production and distribution of energy sources, wages, salaries, credit, and the flow of money in U.S. financial institutions in any undefined national emergency. It also provides that when the president declares a state of emergency, Congress cannot review the action for six months.
Executive Order 11003 allows the government to take over all airports and aircraft, including commercial aircraft.
* Executive Order 11004 allows the Housing and Finance Authority to relocate and establish new locations for populations.

WHEN THE PRESIDENT DECLARES THIS UNSPECIFIED NATIONAL EMERGENCY THE CONGRESS CAN'T REVIEW THIS ACTION FOR 6 MONTHS?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Originally posted by ANNED
"I have executive powers over guns..."

Imagine my surprise when I looked into this to find that he said no such thing. You put it in quotes, as if it's something he actually said... :shk:

Yeah, I'm not going to waste my time chasing down claims of things he said. You guys have lost your credibility. Have a good time fantasizing about things that haven't been said, actions that haven't been taken and thoughts that haven't actually been thought.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Statement

“I’m confident that there are some steps that we can take that don’t require legislation and that are within my authority as president.”

Next up - attack the source.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Good point. Obama's my way or the highway attitude doesn't make sense. Republicans control the House so whether he likes it or not, he can't just force his agenda through unilaterally.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

While you are right on the "both sides do it" when it comes to drawing districts (Unless you take that out of partisan hands, like some states do)
But:
There was a census in 2010 (Supposed to be used among other things to make districts represent the same amount of people)
49.2% voted for dems and 48% voted republican
Republicans lost 8 seats for 234 seats and democrats won 8 seats for 201, there can be no doubt that republicans were better at it in 2010.
edit on 15-1-2013 by narwahl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Redistricting preserved the house for the GOP, whose demographics are shrinking beyond the point that redistricting and gerrymandering will ever have the same effect again.

Hide and watch the mid-term elections of 2014.

new topics

top topics

join