It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun death tracker after Sandy Hook..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
So I was listening to a coast to coast episode last night when I heard the guest mention a website where apparently they are trying to keep track of gun deaths since the Sandy Hook shootings. The figures are at around 18 people per day but I also understand that they may of changed since the show aired. The Idea is for people to go to the website and to track where and when the gun crime took place. It also gives you a description of what happened, I guess what category it comes under eg: Homocide, Suicide etc, but the thing the guy noticed is that most of the gun crimes were committed by police officers.

He states that out of the estimated 400 tabs you can click on, roughly half of them were police shootings whether it be from trying to catch someone on parole, simply charging someone, you get the drift. For some reason the data won't load up for me so I cannot check this site myself but from what he is saying, its pretty much a tool to get people going against the guns.. They have linked up with an anonymous twitter account who goes by the name of "Gundeaths" and he is said to of been influenced to track the gun crimes by the Sandy Hook shooting.

I don't know if anyone has seen this article let alone had a look at the figures and statistics that come with it. Because there is apparently a lot of deaths, you would be sitting there all day trying to work out how the events occured. But again, I would check it out myself except the information will not load up. Heres what the creators of the program have to say.

The answer to the simple question in that headline is surprisingly hard to come by. So Slate and the Twitter feed @GunDeaths are collecting data for our crowdsourced interactive. This data is necessarily incomplete. But the more people who are paying attention, the better the data will be. You can help us draw a more complete picture of gun violence in America. If you know about a gun death in your community that isn’t represented here, please tweet @GunDeaths with a citation. And if you’d like to use this data yourself for your own projects, it’s open.

Just a bit of background information on the guys.

Dan Kois is a senior editor at Slate and a contributing writer to the New York Times Magazine.

Chris Kirk is Slate's Interactives Editor.
And possibly a writer for the Washington post? I cannot confirm that though.

The thing that interested me the most was the amount of shootings committed by police officers and if the police shootings outweigh the citizen shootings, how can these two guys be using this data? The guest believes its a propaganda stunt to persuade the viewer that maybe guns should be banned in the USA, but because I can't see the data, I don't know. Even if it means nothing, I still think it may interest a few people here.. If not, no worries. Link Below....

Sla te.com

Heres the show, the website is mentioned from around the 40 minute mark.

edit on 15-1-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

join