It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK.. We Messed Up Letting The Government Take Our Guns..

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+105 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Over the last few weeks I have taken great interest in the US debate on gun control..

And like you was exasperated by the seemingly ubiquitous strange love of guns et al in the US.. The culture of being armed to the teeth did not make sense.. It seemed irrational and the advocates for guns seemed alarmingly blinkered in their arguements..

We in the UK like sheep willingly gave up our arms via fear based propaganda and marketing which has allowed successive governments to ride rough shod over us with impunity..

In short.. Our government has no fear of the British public.. We have all been angry at the nonsensical obssession with handing our soveriegnty to the EU.. Our unjust laws that put the criminals rights higher than the victims.. Even unto the point that defending our own homes and families against intruders will put us in jail..

Do you think that Gordon Brown would have got away with what is tantermount stealing our gold if we were armed?. Or the constant BS from the EU?.. Open door immigration? Unjust wars?... Man.. The list goes on and on..

All we have left is demonstrations with plackards.. Which they duly ignore.. If like America our citizenry was armed do you think they would ignore our democratic wishes?

I think not!

But now they are laughing at us.. And get away with anything they want and we are somewhat powerless to stop it...

We was duped into having our sharp teeth removed via knee jerk emotional response to tragedy..

Conned...

You Americans that read this.. Dont make our mistake.. Your founding fathers wrote the second ammendment with prophetic eyes..

Or be prepared for a national dental teeth extraction..

+48 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
NO we didn't .. why do we need guns here?

Actually re reading your post I've never heard so Much nonsense.. so instead of demonstrating peacefully we take to the streets with guns? I'm glad we don't have more people like you livng here...
edit on 15-1-2013 by misscurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
If the government is so unpopular that you need to shoot it's members then i'd suggest an easier solution is to merely vote them out in the next election. You don't need guns to determine politics. Saying that I don't really believe we have a democracy but that's another story.

Also how's having guns improving the USA's democratic process ? I can't really see it myself. Personally i'm not against gun ownership in responsible hands, just don't think it really has any bearing on democracy or politics.
edit on 15-1-2013 by Hopeforeveryone because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Evan, I loves ya..But you are either drunk again or trying to get off with some American bird on here..

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
With corrupted government all over the world with money and power for priorities other than the welfare of their citizens, sadly, the good and just people need access to weapons.

Evil is smaller and weaker in this world than good, but it's the good people that do nothing that are faulty.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
OP,

I hope this thread gets you all the stars and flags you're looking for from the Americans.

Also, you can still own guns in the UK. Just not handguns. So you're wrong.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
All we have left is demonstrations with plackards.. Which they duly ignore.. If like America our citizenry was armed do you think they would ignore our democratic wishes?

I wasn't aware that the people of the US felt that their democratic wishes were particularly respected either...I certainly never got that impression any way. And, it was really a democratic decision that ended blanket gun ownership in this country, so I have no complaints. I haven't lost a thing. If I want to play with guns, I can go to the range, I don't need them to defend myself against the government. If I want representation I will go to my MP and demand it, and if I have sufficient support change can be effected.

For democracy to work, you need majority support. I don't care who is laughing at me. I am perfectly happy to not have the right to keep a gun in my home. I don't need one. If you need one, because you have land or another legitimate reason for doing so, then you can get one. The US is an entirely different country, with entirely different needs, and governance, and if they want guns then that is their choice and I support that choice, but I do not see them using those guns to get good governance, not if their complaints about their government on these boards are any indication. They will keep their guns if it is sufficently wanted by enough people, and they make sufficient effort to keep them. Just as, we chose not to have them here and made the effort necessary to make that feeling known. That is democracy.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Perhaps you are unaware that you may still own guns in the UK. I think a little more research into your own country is in order.

In other news, my friends in the US, please do not allow your government to take away your right to go skating, like they have here in Canada.

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Drunk? This time of the day? At work..... Hoping to cop off with a kinky American babe? Me? Lol

No..

Being logical..

With "what if's"

I honestly believe that our government has no fear of us.. Be honest suss.. When was the last time our democratic wishes were adhered too?

We vote

But every government carries on from the last a program that seems like a plan to destroy the heart and soul of this country.. They are all either completely inept.. Or are indeed carrying out a program...

Disarming us has made us into something to be ignored by the political elite..

Can you absolutely say that is not so?

Can you also say that things would not be be different if we were armed?

edit on 15-1-2013 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Double barrel shotgun...

"Gert orf my laaand!"...

Then prison

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by misscurious

Plackards with nothing to back it up accept a strongly worded letter to your MP must really scare the bejezuss out of them

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
well actually if you remember, heaps of people voluntarily gave up thousands of guns because they wanted to, like in a decision making process. and do i need to be the umpteenth person to state that you can still own guns here? perhaps you should look into it rather than making assumptions.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Double barrel shotgun...

"Gert orf my laaand!"...

Then prison

I'm confused. Are you saying you cannot have a double barrel shotgun? Or that you can't tell trespassers to get off your land?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
The real thing governments fear is organised groups of people with popular support from the majority rather than small groups of people with a few handguns. If a group decided to make a stand against a government they'd be declared terrorists and end up either dead or in prison. Besides the governments have all the really deadly weapons like helicopter gunships, fighter planes, bombers, intelligence services etc etc.
edit on 15-1-2013 by Hopeforeveryone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

reply to post by misscurious

Plackards with nothing to back it up accept a strongly worded letter to your MP must really scare the bejezuss out of them

Do they not get elected there? Paid for their position? Most people are afraid of losing their job and will try their best, especially politicians. If not, they don't get voted in again. Unless the UK is different and they appoint the MP's.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

I have to state, i don't think the American Government are afraid of it's people either. Even if they are armed.

They can strip thier rights away from them in a second if they wish to do so. Yes there will be some very angry people, but most are so apathetic, easilly influenced and manipulated they won't do a damned thing.

Before i get flamed. Come on guys from the US, you know it's true on some level, or you wouldn't be here. In regards to your population, there's only a fraction of you who would be REALLY angry about this, the rest will just lap up everything that's spouted to them by your Government and MSM and give away their guns willingly like little pet zombies.

edit on 15-1-2013 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
No way. The UK doesn't need guns, it's doing fine without them and has one of the lowest homicide rates in the world.

If anyone actually thinks civilian arms would stop a government takeover then they are delusional. All it would do is cause a civil war which they would win.
edit on 15-1-2013 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I'm sorry OP, but this is nonsense. Also, you can have a gun if you want one.

If you think the government aren't scared of the people, you're crazy. They fear our democratic ability to remove them so much that they spend all day long flip flopping on policies to appease the most people. When was the last time a truly unpopular piece of legislation was made? The Poll Tax?! And look how that turned out.

I guess the ID Card/Database nonsense was the closest in recent memory, look how that turned out. I suppose you could argue that the Afghan/Iraq Wars were gigantically unpopular - which is true. However, I think even you'd agree that sometimes bigger forces are in play than simple public opinion, #ty as that is.

Anyhow, if you want evidence of the government soiling themselves in fear at the public's anger, look at the riots last year - and that was only a few thousand people.

Brits might be polite and reserved, but good lord can we kick up a fuss when we need to.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Successive Governments are out of touch with reality, that is most certainly true. It's also messed them up big time. I'm quite sure they are afraid but the pomposity and ego allows them to push such notions to the far reaches of their minds.

The riots were a reminder that they haven't much of clue what to do if something major kicked off, and since then they've alienated those in service to them such as the military and police even more. When everyone stands back and say's "Well you deserved this, you bunch of self serving tossers", who's left to protect them? The ruddy army cadets?.

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Lets take a real life example..

Tony Martin was woken up in the middle of the night by two burglers who invaded his rural home.. He shot them with a shotgun.. One of them died.. The other lived to claim compensation for his injuries..

Tony Martin got put in jail for manslaughter... For protecting his home and possesions..

Do you not see something wrong in that?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join