It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Orders Arrest of Pakistani Prime Minister.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
www.ctvnews.ca...

I'd say the arrest or a warrant for an arrest of any national figure such as a Prime Minister, no matter where in the globe, is pretty big news.

I'm not entirely familiar with Pakistani politics, but I'd say this has to be a pretty big deal judging by my own opinions of what it would be like to have the equivalent arrested in my own country.

SLAMABAD -- Officials say Pakistan's Supreme Court has ordered the arrest of the country's prime minister as part of a corruption case involving private power stations.

Court officials say judges ordered the arrest of Prime Minister Raja Pervaiz Ashraf and others accused in the case on Tuesday. Ashraf was the minister of water and power before he became the country's premier.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.

Read more: www.ctvnews.ca...

Looks like so far it is only off camera dialogue between reporters and parliamentary figures. I'm sure we are soon to hear more though..

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Update.

Seems the Supreme Court of Pakistan has about the same pull as a 9th grade music teacher:

Pakistan’s Supreme Court last month ordered the arrest of Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf within 24 hours on allegations of his involvement in corruption involving power-generation equipment.

The arrest order was widely seen as the latest round of a five-year-long battle for power between the court, which plays an activist role in local politics, and the Pakistan People’s Party-led government.

But three weeks later Mr. Ashraf remains in office as Pakistan heads toward general elections due by May.

So what gives?

A major reason the arrest has not been carried out is the National Accountability Bureau, a state body charged with investigating corruption and carrying out arrests, has refused to play ball with the Supreme Court.

blogs.wsj.com...

join