It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Senate passes 'landmark' gun control laws

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Revealation

Good, we need to get more people onboard. I hope it'll change things, but who knows? At least it'll let the powers know were sick of this garbage.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Get the word out there so all can join in and make them feel it. The loss in revenue will speak for itself
edit on 16-1-2013 by candlelight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

What more can I do but give you a star? Excellent reply!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
OOps to stay on thread, I just cant believe this move is anything but taking the ability to control the people from their Constitutional duty to defend our country against tyranny and the abolition of our entire constitution which is what this country is founded on. Like taking a jack hammer to the very foundation.

We are supposed to protect and defend.

The NWO does not want Americans to be able to defend themselves against control. They will first take away guns and then sink the dollar.

How would you like to have a little pistol in your hand to defend your family against even 2 of these guys?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by nottelling

And not only people like you on medication...

ANY Veteran out there who seeks help for PTSD-related issues will now be classed as having mental issues and may find themselves on a list and excluded from firearms ownership in New York state altogether. Sad thing is, once this becomes known,Vets will avoid seeking help which will lead to further problems down the line. So much for respecting and honoring those who have served.

forget just veterans, it would cause just about ANYONE who would like to keep their gun from seeking help. a bad day for the Shrinks, they probably just lost a lot of potential customers lol. i think that was a part of the whole purpose behind medical confidentiality in the first place, to make it so people would seek out the help they might need without fear of retribution, and persecution, because of having say a "metal disorder". wonder how long they have been wanting to do away with THAT? i do believe there WAS a clause about being able to speak out if there was fear of IMMEDIATE danger, not a possibility of danger. in other words if they thought the person was gonna go out and kill someone right then they could inform, not if there was a possibility that sometime in the future the person MIGHT do something. good plan, make sure that people who need help will NOT seek that help.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
A better question is will you guys let the assault rifle ban stay in effect? since MSNBC just announced that no assault rifles were used in sandy hook. coroner said only pistols.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by koder

Wait, what? The story changed again?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by koder
A better question is will you guys let the assault rifle ban stay in effect? since MSNBC just announced that no assault rifles were used in sandy hook. coroner said only pistols.

Yeah I posted the video on tumblr. They say it was in the car and 4 HANDGUNS were rec overed at the scene. If this was the case, then this bill being passed using Sandy Hook, was under false pretenses.

Here's another video of what looks like a Saiga shotgun unless that's what they thought was the Assault rifle.

edit on 16/1/2013 by Revealation because: (no reason given)

If they really wanted our children safe, how bout using OUR money paid in taxes to put heavy steel doors on all schools with heavy 1000 lb magnetic locks that have to buszz you in. Windows have Heavy gates. That's how my son's school is.

Seems like a way cheaper more practical and logical solution that will actually save lives. Penalizing legal gun owners will do nothing to stop criminals. Also, I guarantee that after this legislation, there will still continue to be these problems. What's their excuse then?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This will certainly face legal action and hopefully end up in the Supreme Court just as the Chicago and DC bans did.

My opinion: Time to ACT en masse. I don't mean writing to your congressman, either.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Cant come soon enough. Most americans are too stupid and full of their own self importance to own even a Car, never mind a Gun. Anyone who actually believes that they need a Gun in order to protect themselves from Tyranical Government in modern day Countries such as the US should really go and get help.

The 2nd amendment is so far out of date its not even funny and it only fuels the massive ego's of most Gun Lobbyists.

Take all the guns, and stop selling Bullets and only then will America have a chance at curbing Gun Violence. Children should aslo be taught at school about the dangers of having a Gun Wielding society so then hopefully in the future the current, totally crazy line of thinking may be eradicated in the US

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Yet another non-citizen expert on our constitutional rights. Opinions are like a**holes, mate, except yours doesn't live here. I suggest you concentrate on your sheep.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Nothing like the self-improtance of a Kiwi. Just keep abusing those poor defenseless fish and keep hiding down under. If the moron Scots had any cajones, not to mention guns, they'd be independent and free. You chose to abandon your country, so be it.

Your opinion is both arrogant, irrelevant.

We'd rather take our country back, Scotland never was......

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Thanks for the Non-Important input from someone that does not have ANY say in the matters of another country and its people.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
It's a good thing all the criminals will follow these new rules!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

No, acting loudly and buffoon-like is a definite mark of instability.

I'm sure there were soft spoken criminals. But there are more raving lunatics.

And I don't have a problem with crazy people owning guns. I have a problem with crazy people who want to hurt others to own guns.

See there's a lot of people I classify as mentally insane. Some that others would find offensive I suspect. Ranging from transsexuals to Monopolists. I don't much care if these people own guns. It's probably better if they do for their own health against people who want to kill them.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
NYT PDF of New York GC bill

See page 22 of the posted bill, s2230:

§ 41-a. The penal law is amended by adding a new section 265.01-b to 5 read as follows:
6 § 265.01-b Criminal possession of a firearm.
7 A person is guilty of criminal possession of a firearm when he or she:
8 (1) possesses any firearm or; (2) lawfully possesses a firearm prior to
9 the effective date of the chapter of the laws of two thousand thirteen
10 which added this section subject to the registration requirements of
11 subdivision sixteen-a of section 400.00 of this chapter and knowingly
12 fails to register such firearm pursuant to such subdivision.
13 Criminal possession of a firearm is a class E felony.

Basically by plan or accident the NY legislation makes all gun owners criminals unless they register firearms.

Further in is a rule that makes large frame revolvers illegal by stating a 50 ounce empty weight on the handgun or having converted rifle actions in a handgun configuration. Many hunters use calibers larger than .44 for hunting and many also use bolt or falling block single shot rifle actions in hunting - it appears this bill outlaws them.

The seven round rule is also crap when one considers that its open to wide interpretation, for instance a marlin .22 rifle with a tube magazine will accept many more .22 shorts than it will .22 long rifle ammunition, Shotguns with less than 7 round magazines for 2" 3/4 shells will except more than seven "short" shells in 1" 3/4 length.

The anti-gunners got a lot more here than banning "scary black guns" if you'll take time to read the very convoluted several hundred pages of legislation passed.

I understand this is going class-action with expost-facto being the thrust of lawsuit, I'd like to point out the clear disparity between 10th amendment and the so called "supremacy" clause.

New Yorks law will end up at the Supreme Court - I have little doubt there.

New York has no language in its constitution naming individual rights to keep and bear arms like the U.S. constitution however if the court upholds long standing doctrine of US constitution having supremacy then it just about has to declare New Yorks law unconstitutional.

If supreme court upholds New Yorks law then it will have to be though 10th amendment states rights, doing so will set a precedent for other states. States that have individual rights to keep and bear arms in their constitutions will be able to affirm their stance at the court with precedence.

IMHO, the "supremacy" clause has for decades been used and abused to advance agendas in this country when those holding those agendas have known there was no chance of advancing on normal legislation through political means - time for it to bite back! Finally the supremacy doctrine is at odds with the nanny-staters.

Go the other way and 10th amendment gets strengthened by SCOTUS precedent and a pandora's box of nightmarish proportion gets opened for the progressives fighting freedom.

I think the pendulum will swing and its going to hurt at full swing - the hurt will be well deserved though.

Finally overstepped the bounds

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

Well said. It looks like Texas is going to introduce legislation to make it a crime/felony for a federal agent to enter the state of Texas and attempt to enforce federal gun restrictions.

An interesting development if it, in fact happens. the threat of it has to be making Obama and Co. pause....

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
So apparently the law does not exempt police officers and the state is now trying to backtrack and fix the issue. This just proves that no one actually read the bill and just signed it. That or they all lack the ability to reason and determine that "Hey, what about the police?"

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

NEW YORK "GUN LAW" APPEARS TO BE WRITTEN OVER YEARS !!!!

I am on my 4th reading of this 40 page law.

I assure everyone, thisextremely lengthy, complex law was NOT written in a month... it has been written over a period of perhaps YEARS.

It has been sitting on a shelf, just waiting for a POLITICALLY OPPOURTUNE TIME, and that disgusts me.

Some parts of the Law are PURE HARRASSMENt, as LICENSED TRAINED PERMITTED LAW-ABIDING NEW YORKERS:

* Cannot own a handgun WEIGHING (you heard me right) WEIGHING (!) more then 50 ounces !!!?

(Many simple old revolvers weigh more then this!)

* Are restricted to a magazine which holds, HOLDS (NOT loaded to as the article says) 7 rounds... MANY / MOST handgun magazines hold 8 rounds or more. 8 is VERY common. "7 Round Magazines" are NOT MADE for many / most guns!!! This is an INTENTIONAL BAN of ALL these handguns... what good ids the gun if it's illegal to place the magazine in it.

* New York State Pistol Permits are the HARDEST in the Country to obtain. They take up to 3-4 YEARS to acquire. NOW, in a stroke of a pen, they EXPIRE... it's not just a "RENEWAL" as the article says. They must be APPROVED at the WHIM of a Judge, every 5 years, and the Judge, may for ANY reason, decline the re-application.

* The murder of FireFighters in Webster New York was NOT DONE WITH A RIFLE !!!!

The convicted, releashed-by-the-State-after-killing-his-own-grandmother-with-a-HAMMER-Shooter, used 2 STOLEN handguns wiuth FACTORY magazines!!!

A rifle WAS found, unloaded, unfired, LOCKED in the TRUNK of a car, NEAR the scene AFTER the shooter was long dead.

INTENTIONAL MISINFORMATION. Easily searchable.

And, with NEWTOWN, a SHOTGUN, (quoted from Law Enforcement as a "Long Gun" was again, found LOCKED in the trunk of the shooters car, UNLOADED and UNFIRED. A rifle WAS found at the "SCENE" of the Mother's Murder, but unfired and unloaded.

There is MUCH conflict with the Medical Examiner ORIGINALLY stating that .223 ammunition was used in the murders of the children, THEN RETRACTING the STATEMENT the same day! MEDIA never publicized this. Multiple Handguns were DEFINITELY used in the school with empty magazines found all over. I have yet to fins ANY on-the-scene credible statement that ANY rifle was found in the SCHOOL.

Now that millions of New Yorkers guns are worthless, who is going to PAY THEM??? NEW YORK STATE should BUY BACK, AT RETAIL, all of these INSTANT FELONIES!!

These rifles ($1,500.00 and up each) and handguns ($400,00... usually $750. and up) were bought LEGALLY. Now its Felonious to own most!

This Law was LONG PLANNED. ONE LOOK at it and you KNOW iut was YEARS in the making. A political Agenda. Sickening.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

NEW YORK "GUN LAW" APPEARS TO BE WRITTEN OVER YEARS !!!!

I am on my 4th reading of this 40 page law.

I assure everyone, thisextremely lengthy, complex law was NOT written in a month... it has been written over a period of perhaps YEARS.

It has been sitting on a shelf, just waiting for a POLITICALLY OPPOURTUNE TIME, and that disgusts me.

Some parts of the Law are PURE HARRASSMENt, as LICENSED TRAINED PERMITTED LAW-ABIDING NEW YORKERS:

* Cannot own a handgun WEIGHING (you heard me right) WEIGHING (!) more then 50 ounces !!!?

(Many simple old revolvers weigh more then this!)

* Are restricted to a magazine which holds, HOLDS (NOT loaded to as the article says) 7 rounds... MANY / MOST handgun magazines hold 8 rounds or more. 8 is VERY common. "7 Round Magazines" are NOT MADE for many / most guns!!! This is an INTENTIONAL BAN of ALL these handguns... what good ids the gun if it's illegal to place the magazine in it.

* New York State Pistol Permits are the HARDEST in the Country to obtain. They take up to 3-4 YEARS to acquire. NOW, in a stroke of a pen, they EXPIRE... it's not just a "RENEWAL" as the article says. They must be APPROVED at the WHIM of a Judge, every 5 years, and the Judge, may for ANY reason, decline the re-application.

* The murder of FireFighters in Webster New York was NOT DONE WITH A RIFLE !!!!

The convicted, releashed-by-the-State-after-killing-his-own-grandmother-with-a-HAMMER-Shooter, used 2 STOLEN handguns wiuth FACTORY magazines!!!

A rifle WAS found, unloaded, unfired, LOCKED in the TRUNK of a car, NEAR the scene AFTER the shooter was long dead.

INTENTIONAL MISINFORMATION. Easily searchable.

And, with NEWTOWN, a SHOTGUN, (quoted from Law Enforcement as a "Long Gun" was again, found LOCKED in the trunk of the shooters car, UNLOADED and UNFIRED. A rifle WAS found at the "SCENE" of the Mother's Murder, but unfired and unloaded.

There is MUCH conflict with the Medical Examiner ORIGINALLY stating that .223 ammunition was used in the murders of the children, THEN RETRACTING the STATEMENT the same day! MEDIA never publicized this. Multiple Handguns were DEFINITELY used in the school with empty magazines found all over. I have yet to fins ANY on-the-scene credible statement that ANY rifle was found in the SCHOOL.

Now that millions of New Yorkers guns are worthless, who is going to PAY THEM??? NEW YORK STATE should BUY BACK, AT RETAIL, all of these INSTANT FELONIES!!

These rifles ($1,500.00 and up each) and handguns ($400,00... usually $750. and up) were bought LEGALLY. Now its Felonious to own most!

This Law was LONG PLANNED. ONE LOOK at it and you KNOW iut was YEARS in the making. A political Agenda. Sickening.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join