It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Senate passes 'landmark' gun control laws

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

NY Senate passes 'landmark' gun control laws

www.9wsyr.com

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - New York's Senate where Republicans hold strong sway has approved what supporters say will be the toughest gun laws in the nation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
well its getting interesting. the toughest gun controle laws in the nation.. settin the stage for the rest of the states to follow suit..

The bill targets assault rifles, high-capacity clips of ammunition and requires reports of the mentally ill who pose a threat to others with illegal guns.

The vote passed 43-18 in the Senate thanks to a strong Democratic vote.

www.9wsyr.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.nytimes.com...

The most significant new proposal would require mental health professionals to report to local mental health officials when they believe that patients are likely to harm themselves or others. Law enforcement would then be authorized to confiscate any firearm owned by a dangerous patient; therapists would not be sanctioned for a failure to report such patients if they acted “in good faith.”

“People who have mental health issues should not have guns,” Mr. Cuomo told reporters. “They could hurt themselves, they could hurt other people

edit on 15-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
strange isn`t it? how they can manage to take away our rights in record time but it takes them years to do something that might actually be helpful.

requires reports of the mentally ill who pose a threat to others with illegal guns.

what the hell does that even mean?
edit on 15-1-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

+19 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Next step.. Add new definitions and diagnosis for mental illness..

People who believe outrageous conspiracies will be defined as being potentially emotionally compromised and therefore unfit to bear arms..

Same as Indefinite detention.. Start there and say you can grab a citizen that's a suspected terrorist and hold him forever..

Next redefine terrorist to include most Americans..

This is BAD.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
strange isn`t it? how they can manage to take away our rights in record time but it takes them years to do something that might actually be helpful.

requires reports of the mentally ill who pose a threat to others with illegal guns.

edit on 15-1-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

it was shockingly fast.. like its been in the works for a long time...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Gee, they are nice and vague about the specifics now aren't they?

Mentally ill? - I hope elements of the military and LEO's are bundled into that category of assessment.

Anyway, once the bill is fully adopted, I'm sure the next few "shootings" will be with guns that fall outside this category so they can eventually get all your guns.

Mad stuff, these bills are being passed quicker than a politicians pay-rise!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   

it was shockingly fast.. like its been in the works for a long time...

yes, makes you think twice about all the recent massacres. ive got a strange feeling its all connected and done for a reason.

the blood of children is on their hands

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Does it mean that doctor patient confidentiality in the realm of the mind will be no more? That ALL will be reported to the State? So that any FUTURE purchase and any FORMER purchase will become illegal either before or after the fact? Alex Jones and Glenn Beck fit this scenario as 2 leaders of getting people to act EMOTIONALLY...

I don't know that that is what it means, but it has me wondering..

I'm getting really nervous about all of this, but unlike some others I think it still takes them at least 5-10 more years to get this all the way to the point they want it.. Baring some National ban (Obama will announce his plan [the bill, but also Executive Orders] this week) Which would cause a revolution in a heart beat..

I often wonder If it's true, the laws of the Universe that I hear about in certain circles..
If you act in violence (revolution) does it legal for them to kill you back?

By the way I'm thinking that member 13th Zodiac had it right.. This is the Dawn of the Darkknight.. It has Risen.
Is this the "New American Century" that was promised by PNAC? Hitler tried a thousand years, so they try 100 instead?
edit on 1/15/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
updated the op with a little more info and another link

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   

I thought New York had pretty strict gun laws as it was but anyway.. As for what is written above, how can they determine who is a threat and who isn't? How can all shooters be determined mentally ill? How can anyone determine whether a mentally ill patient is trying to get an illegal gun? This is bs.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

See, this is how it should be done, by the state, not the Feds. If your state passes something you don't like, take it up with them. At worst, move to a state where you do like the way they do things.

That is called freedom of choice.

Much better than tyranny.

edit on 15-1-2013 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

I thought New York had pretty strict gun laws as it was but anyway.. As for what is written above, how can they determine who is a threat and who isn't? How can all shooters be determined mentally ill? How can anyone determine whether a mentally ill patient is trying to get an illegal gun? This is bs.

Of course it is. It is lib feel good, warm n fuzzy stuff.

How can you dictate, control, or do anything over a private sale?

"Where did you get this gun?"

"Uhm, found it on the street."

Ok...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure "mentally Ill" means just that. People that have been ordered or volunteered to psychiatric care.

I really doubt they are going to do assessments before purchasing.

If you have one you can keep it.

There wont be a lot of resistance to these measures. It will no doubt draw a line between the average law abiding citizen and the "DO NOT TRESPASS" armed citizen. It wont do anything but cause a lot of dinner arguments and eat away at society from the inside.

It might be likely too that there will be many of these "small" measures to appease the "take action" crowed until it is so boring to hear about "gun restrictions" that everyone will barely notice when they start grabbing at the meat and potato's. The inchworm effect...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I'll have to go digging for some proof, but I heard on the radio today that the NRA got some legislation planted in the ACA (Obama's health care bill) that specifically forbids any reporting or questioning by doctors of who owns guns. Is the reporting of "mental illness" going to be their work around?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
I'll have to go digging for some proof, but I heard on the radio today that the NRA got some legislation planted in the ACA (Obama's health care bill) that specifically forbids any reporting or questioning by doctors of who owns guns. Is the reporting of "mental illness" going to be their work around?

Actually, Harry Reid did it.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
updated the op with a little more info and another link

I see now.. They are forcing people to tell on each other.. I remember the Cops handing me a card in school for DARE week.. (Drug Abuse resistance education).. He told me that I could turn in drug users in my family for cash..
Something like that anyway it was a long time ago..

This is Fascism...

Here we go..

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Yeah that's exactly what they said, but via the NRA. He is a staunch supporter.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Tyranny in action.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite

I think you are exactly correct!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad
I see now.. They are forcing people to tell on each other.. I remember the Cops handing me a card in school for DARE week.. (Drug Abuse resistance education).. He told me that I could turn in drug users in my family for cash..
Something like that anyway it was a long time ago..

Your kidding? Those bastards will try anything these days..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join