It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

54,000 Mexicans sign petition for US gun control

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

MEXICO CITY (AP) — More than 54,000 Mexicans have signed a petition calling on the United States to take further steps to combat weapons trafficking. Mexico says the majority of guns used by the country's violent drug cartels are smuggled over the border from the United States. Mexico's best-known anti-violence activist and a prominent intellectual presented the petition at the U.S. embassy Monday. Activist Javier Sicilia said "The United States is partly responsible for our humanitarian tragedy."

About 70,000 people have died in Mexico in drug violence since 2006, according to the written copy of a speech presented by Mexico's interior secretary in December. Before the activists presented their petition, President Barack Obama said Monday he would present a new U.S. gun control plan within days.

I find it ironic that Mexico blames all of it's gun violence on the US. They say that the majority of the guns that flow into Mexico come from the US. But it's not our fault they allowed their corrupt governments to disarm them and let cartels run the country. It's also not our fault that our government openly allows guns to flow in either.

The problem isn't the US having a gun problem, it's that Mexico is a narco-state that gave up their freedoms and safety, now they want us to do the same. Just think, if we disarm, we'll be open season for the "drug war" Well, with all of these other countries calling for us to disarm just because they did, and lost all of their freedoms, it kind of worries me.

Thoughts? (sorry if i don't respond right away, I may fall asleep soon.)

Source

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Who cares what Mexico thinks about American gun laws?

Or Europe, for that matter?

We shouldnt be focusing on foreign 2nd Amendment trolls, either in real life, or on the interwebz.
edit on 1/15/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

If only the US government would lay off of their gun trafficking to Mexico there would be far less violence in that country. If only someone could lead us out of this disaster. That's right then attorney general Eric Holder refused to release key documents on the Fast and Furious debacle to congress when requested. Guess the Mexican government has no one in the Obama administration to complain to so wy not the press and public at large.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
Who cares what Mexico thinks about American gun laws?

Or Europe, for that matter?
edit on 1/15/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

I may not care, and you may not care.. but politicians will use it as leverage to make you think THEY care, which could be bad.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:17 AM
link   
My thought is that 54,000 Mexican people do not speak for the whole country.

Yes, guns are bought here and sent to Mexico. But if it wasn't the US, it would be some other country. Guns are not the problem in Mexico - there are deeper problems than that.

By the way, it is illegal to have guns in Mexico and look at them! They live in hell.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Or how about the fact that HSBC, Wells Fargo and Wachovia have laundered billions of dollars for the cartels, on record. The CIA, FBI and DEA all run the drug trade. Operation Fast and Furious was really about arming the cartels to wipe out their competition. The bankers have created a civil war in Mexico while laughing all the way to the bank. There has not been one arrest. But if you have one gram of pot, they will swat team you and shoot your dog and you. If you launder $1,000, you go to prison. They don't know who the real enemy is.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by exitusstatuquo
reply to post by eXia7

If only the US government would lay off of their gun trafficking to Mexico there would be far less violence in that country. If only someone could lead us out of this disaster. That's right then attorney general Eric Holder refused to release key documents on the Fast and Furious debacle to congress when requested. Guess the Mexican government has no one in the Obama administration to complain to so wy not the press and public at large.

Yeah, it's sad when criminal elements within government can get away with literal murder, and everybody seems to turn a blind eye. I mean cities are making it illegal to have a garden. People read the reports, I mean the most absurd things are starting to happen, and a lot of people are paying attention now, I believe more than ever.. but you have the diehards who want to keep propping up the status quo steering the boat.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merlin Lawndart
Or how about the fact that HSBC, Wells Fargo and Wachovia have laundered billions of dollars for the cartels, on record. The CIA, FBI and DEA all run the drug trade. Operation Fast and Furious was really about arming the cartels to wipe out their competition. The bankers have created a civil war in Mexico while laughing all the way to the bank. There has not been one arrest. But if you have one gram of pot, they will swat team you and shoot your dog and you. If you launder $1,000, you go to prison. They don't know who the real enemy is.

Spot on, but sadly this type of information does not fit the agenda. The people of mexico have to live in fear of corrupt government, and drug cartels, all because they can't defend themselves. That country could prosper if it wasn't in the state of disarray it's in now.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnaChispa
My thought is that 54,000 Mexican people do not speak for the whole country.

Yes, guns are bought here and sent to Mexico. But if it wasn't the US, it would be some other country. Guns are not the problem in Mexico - there are deeper problems than that.

By the way, it is illegal to have guns in Mexico and look at them! They live in hell.

I agree 54,000 people doesn't speak for an entire population, but that type of thinking could gain momentum to people of that country, and it's not a healthy mindset. It will teach people that it's okay to roll over and take whatever is thrown at them.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

But it's not our fault they allowed their corrupt governments to disarm them and let cartels run the country. It's also not our fault that our government openly allows guns to flow in either.

Let me get this straight, so you're pissed that they (paraphrase) don't accpet accountability to hold their government responsible for the control of law and order, and being complicit by their inaction in civil disarmament. I.e. you want mexicans to be hold their government responsible, yes?

Yet in the same breath you wish to abdicate responsibility to hold your own government responsible of their obligations tol control the open and flagrant violation of international arms trafficking laws. I.e guns heading into Mexico!

So which is it? because you can't have it both ways.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by UnaChispa

if Mexicans Live "in hell" as you put it. Why is it that the largest population centre of ex-pat American and Canadians outside of their native lands, ...... is Mexico!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
reply to post by eXia7

But it's not our fault they allowed their corrupt governments to disarm them and let cartels run the country. It's also not our fault that our government openly allows guns to flow in either.

Let me get this straight, so you're pissed that they (paraphrase) don't accpet accountability to hold their government responsible for the control of law and order, and being complicit by their inaction in civil disarmament. I.e. you want mexicans to be hold their government responsible, yes?

Yet in the same breath you wish to abdicate responsibility to hold your own government responsible of their obligations tol control the open and flagrant violation of international arms trafficking laws. I.e guns heading into Mexico!

So which is it? because you can't have it both ways.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying we SHOULD hold our own government responsible, but do you plan to march into the justice department with me and arrest eric holder for the violations he committed? I mean, if our own justice system won't stand up for us, How would 1 or 2 people do it without that kind of support?

It's been awhile now, and I haven't heard much about it, it seems people have brought this to people's attention, but it must fall on deaf ears.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg

if Mexicans Live "in hell" as you put it. Why is it that the largest population centre of ex-pat American and Canadians outside of their native lands, ...... is Mexico!

Maybe it's the food and women.

Juarez is the most dangerous city on our continent. El Paso, right next door is the safest in the US, ironically.

The majority of the population live in fear from ruthless violence every day. Hell on Earth.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
The Mexicans should already know that gun control doesn't include the CIA..

link   
reply to post by eXia7

LOL

Hahahah.

*wipes tears from cheeks*

LOL.

Sorry. You asked for my thoughts. That's pretty much my honest thoughts.

link   
reply to post by eXia7

I find it ironic that Mexico blames all of it's gun violence on the US. They say that the majority of the guns that flow into Mexico come from the US. But it's not our fault they allowed their corrupt governments to disarm them and let cartels run the country.

I find it more ironic that you can't seem to understand that the social and economic status of Mexico and all South America is due in its large majority from US policies and actions. That the War on Drugs and the drug policy of the US promotes the narco-economy and that covert activities are indeed funded by that guns and drug trades.

More, the policy of blindly exporting illegal immigrants and legal "visitors" that are found committing crimes also exports the gang logic across the globe, exacerbating the problem everywhere.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
One of the most corrupt countries in N America wants to tell us whats right or wrong?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Panic2k11
reply to post by eXia7

I find it ironic that Mexico blames all of it's gun violence on the US. They say that the majority of the guns that flow into Mexico come from the US. But it's not our fault they allowed their corrupt governments to disarm them and let cartels run the country.

I find it more ironic that you can't seem to understand that the social and economic status of Mexico and all South America is due in its large majority from US policies and actions. That the War on Drugs and the drug policy of the US promotes the narco-economy and that covert activities are indeed funded by that guns and drug trades.

More, the policy of blindly exporting illegal immigrants and legal "visitors" that are found committing crimes also exports the gang logic across the globe, exacerbating the problem everywhere.

Good point, I never said I was praising the US policy on drugs though. Both sides contribute to the suffering the Mexican citizens have to deal with in cities torn apart by drug violence. Mexico runs a hard line approach towards it's people, most of the officials and police are corrupt, and if anybody tries to stand up to drug cartels they end up dead.

So you make a good point. America imposes fear and suffering onto the Mexican people just as much as their own government and drug cartels do. I suppose I should've shared my views a little more clear in the OP, but I never said the US had the best policies.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

true Juarez is an extremely dangerous place. However the difference of where I live to Juarez is the same as some in Atlanta being worried about Violence in New York.

Just because one city (and a small city) is a complete war zone, don't tar the rest of what is a beautiful and culturally rich country with the same sh**y brush

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
They are retarded, no really. They disarmed themselves, how is that working out for them?
Drugs are a problem down there, what is there solution? Legalize them in the US
Guns are a problem down there, what is there solution? Ban them in the US
This petition is probably being pushed by the cartels so they can push north into more heavily armed states like Texas and Arizona.
I should start a petition to make Mexico build a fence and make them play their part in boarder patrol.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join