It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attempted gun burglary tied to journal news gun maps

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Attempted gun burglary tied to journal news gun maps

www.nysenate.gov

Today Senator Greg Ball (Patterson – R, C, I) announced that a burglary has been reported on Davis Ave. in White Plains, New York that evidently ties into The Journal News gun maps. It is reported that the burglar used The Journal News’ interactive gun map to target a home included on the map. Luckily the gun was locked up and no one was hurt.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 15-1-2013 by Gemwolf because: Removed all caps from title

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I know you're probably tired of hearing about the "gun map" but here it is, people. It's being exploited by criminals already.

What was the purpose of the map, exactly? I wish this newspaper would give a good reason for putting people in harms way like this.

Looks like someone will be holding them accountable:

“The Affiliated Police Association of Westchester County Inc. is putting The Journal News on notice that we will hold [them] accountable for any incident where any of our over 25,000 members are involved with an incident where a criminal or ex-con presents themselves at the residence of one of our members as a result of their name being made public by [their] newspaper,”

www.nysenate.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 14-1-2013 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Funny...I remember saying immediately after hearing news of the fantastic idea to disclose the addresses of legal gun owners in an attempt to prove some sort of point, that eventually, these homes would be the target of criminals wishing to illegally obtain firearms they otherwise wouldn't have access to. Funny how that # works.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I caught this story across the site I mod at a few hours ago and looked into it... The friend I have up in that area definitely said it's taken pissed off to the next level with a confirmed case of treasure hunting the map.

With some cities offering as much as $1,000 for some kinds of weapons turned in, it is nothing short of a treasure map and I really didn't want to even say that....until it was confirmed it was actually happening. Now that genie isn't getting stuffed back into anything. Oh unintended consequences and the bricks used to pave the road to a real hot place.

The problem is...many still don't see a significant problem with what the paper did. Too many. I'm glad you caught the OP on it. S/F

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I think it's only appropriate to publish the addresses of those bastards associated to Journal News.

Insufferable pricks....

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Sad.

Only a few thousand to go.......before some criminal gets taught a lesson.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm
I think it's only appropriate to publish the addresses of those bastards associated to Journal News.

Insufferable pricks....

Someone already did:

LINKY

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
How perfect and convenient.

So what was stolen if the gun was locked up?

How can anyone be sure the map was used? How do we know the person was going for the gun? Was he trying to pick the lock when he was caught?

Sounds like fake news.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by HenryNorris

How can anyone be sure the map was used? How do we know the person was going for the gun? Was he trying to pick the lock when he was caught?

Sounds like fake news.

I would expect a rabid anti-gun nut to say as much.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Ha! I dont like guns but it still seems pretty perfect. You gotta admit.

Im sure one of those houses was going to be broken into at some stage.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Sounds like fake news.

Brewster, N.Y. – 1/13/2013 – Today Senator Greg Ball (Patterson – R, C, I) announced that a burglary has been reported on Davis Ave. in White Plains, New York that evidently ties into The Journal News gun maps. It is reported that the burglar used The Journal News’ interactive gun map to target a home included on the map. Luckily the gun was locked up and no one was hurt.

Reading the first paragraph of a linked article is hard.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Insufferable pricks....

unfortunately, "Two wrongs don't make a right".

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Ha! I dont like guns but it still seems pretty perfect. You gotta admit.

Im sure one of those houses was going to be broken into at some stage.

Are you daft?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobertF

Insufferable pricks....

unfortunately, "Two wrongs don't make a right".

Man I am tired of this line being puked up in every one of these threads by some bleeding heart pacifist.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I guess nobody liked all the articles on that website of Ball the Chicken suit wearer that had a question mark behind them. The articles all say how the hell do you connect the two. You can't just wait til there is burglary at a residence on the list and then blame the newspaper. But I guess that does not matter when you are full of # and don't care about it. Propaganda is all that matters.

The list of articles with ?

www.nysenate.gov...
edit on 15-1-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
I guess nobody liked all the articles on that website of Ball the Chicken suit wearer that had a question mark behind them. The articles all say how the hell do you connect the two. You can't just wait til there is burglary at a residence on the list and then blame the newspaper. But I guess that does not matter when you are full of # and don't care about it. Propaganda is all that matters.

The list of articles with ?

www.nysenate.gov...

Never mind the propaganda that the newspaper is peddling, right?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   

What propaganda besides pointing out the propaganda of Ball. Ball is wanting donations I am sure he will get them. It still does not change the facts he is acting like Michelle Bachmann with conspiracy theories with no facts. Or like Allen West with Communist have taken over Washington.

How about this posted on his own website?

www.nysenate.gov...

Ball’s office said “it is reported that the burglar used The Journal News‘ interactive gun map to target a home included on the map,” though The Verge has not been able to find any outlet reporting this connection.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   

STOP freaking STOP IT already with the overt political jabs.

I cannot handle this crap anymore. is there nowhere on this site safe from verbal assault?

if you want to talk like that, post in political madness.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
not even a whole 30 days, guess i was wrong.

glad to read that no one was hurt but i'm not surprised it happened.
i do hope the newspaper and all of their less than virtuous reporters are put out of business and blacklisted from any similar projects in the future.

responsibility to the public at large is still theirs whether they want it to be or not.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Posted here yesterday, with some info.

As of yet, I don't think there is any verification the map was actually used.
edit on 15-1-2013 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join