It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Arafat In France, May Have Leukemia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat was eating soup during a meeting with Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia when he vomited and passed out, according to a bodyguard who was in the compound. He is set to leave for Paris where he will undergo further tests. There are indications that the ailing leader is suffering from leukemia.

Yasser Arafat's health has apparently gotten worse according to a Palestinian official. A team of doctors has been summoned to his compound to examine the Palestinian leader. Arafat has been feeling ill for two weeks and has been allowed by Israeli to leave his compound to seek medical attention.
Current reports indicate that Arafat collapsed and was rushed by ambulance to a nearby hospital. He is rumored to be in "serious" or "critical" condition, though no official status has been given.

UPDATE: More details have emerged: Within hours of Arafat�s collapse, a special committee of three senior Palestinian officials was formed to assume the powers held by Arafat. The members of the committee include: Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia, his predecessor, Mahmoud Abbas, and Salim Zaanoun, head of the Palestinian National Council.
Control of Palestinian Authority Now In Hands Of Committee

UPDATE: October 28, 2004
Despite confusing statements being issued from Arafat�s Gaza compound, it appears that the Palestinian leader is going to be moved to a hospital in Paris. His wife who lives in France, has flown to Gaza to be with her husband. A close associate described Arafat as �too weak to stand, appeared confused and spent most of the day sleeping�. If Arafat does indeed fly out of Gaza to Paris, it is unclear if the government of Israel will allow his return.

Palestinian officials prepared to move the ailing Yasser Arafat out of his sandbagged headquarters to a hospital in Paris Thursday as associates described an Palestinian leader who was too weak to stand, appeared confused and spent most of the day sleeping. One Palestinian official said earlier he expected Arafat to be flown by helicopter to Amman. If Arafat were taken to the hospital, it would highlight the severity of the health crisis and mark the first time for him to leave his battered Ramallah headquarters since he was confined there by Israel in 2002.
Paris Bound?

UPDATE: October 30, 2004
French medical experts specializing in leukemia are examining Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat at a French military hospital to determine if he suffers from this disorder. A Palestinian official who declined to be identified has this to say: "It looks like it's leukemia, They are trying to find out if in fact it is leukemia, and if so, what type. They are trying to see what is the best way to treat it." Arafat who was flown from his Ramallah compound first to Jordan then on to France is expected to stay in the country for 4-5 weeks. Despite previous threats, the government of Israel has reversed itself and indicated that Arafat would be allowed to return to Gaza following treatment.
Arafat May have Leukemia

www.kron4.com
RAMALLAH, West Bank (AP) -- Yasser Arafat's health deteriorated Wednesday and a team of doctors went to his compound to examine the Palestinian leader, a Palestinian official said.

The 75-year-old Arafat has been ill for two weeks, suffering from what Palestinian officials said was the flu. Israeli officials speculated he might have stomach cancer, but two of Arafat's doctors said Wednesday that a blood test and a biopsy of tissue taken from his digestive tract showed no evidence of cancer in that part of the body.

On Tuesday, a hospital official said Arafat was suffering from a large gallstone. The gallstone, while extremely painful, is not life-threatening and can be easily treated, the official told The Associated Press.

Late Wednesday, Arafat's condition worsened and doctors were sent to examine him, an official in Arafat's office said.

Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia and former Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas were summoned to the compound to meet with Arafat, the official said. The two entered Arafat's room, but other Palestinian officials were kept out, the official said.

Qureia and Abbas have both been touted as possible political heirs to Arafat, though the Palestinian leader has bickered with both and blocked their attempts to limit his powers. Arafat has refused to groom a successor, for fear of nurturing a rival who could threaten his rule, and no clear challenger has emerged.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While some speculated that he had cancer, a tissue biopsy of his digestive tract has ruled that out. Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia and former Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas were summoned to his bedside and met with him alone. Both are rumored to be successors to him. This is a developing story and the available news is limited at this time.

[edit on 28-10-2004 by Banshee]

[edit on 29-10-2004 by John bull 1]

[edit on 10/30/04 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
ha. you got beat

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
ha. you got beat

No, there can be stories both in the forums and as an ATS submission. However, thanks for adding to the discussion.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Apparently it is rapidly worsening. There are reports he has collapsed, and an ambulance has been rushed to his Ramallah compound

www.msnbc.com
JERUSALEM - Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat fainted Wednesday night amid reports that his health was deteriorating, NBC News and official Israeli Radio reported. An ambulance was rushed to his compound to take Arafat to a nearby hospital.

This is a story to watch closely, as I can't even to begin to imagine what the reaction will be if Arafat were to die. To many questions. Has he named a successor? Will Querei have to pull necessary to control all of the security forces of the Palestinians? Will the general consensus of the Palestinians be that Israel assassinated him?

Many question, and only time will tell.

UPDATED

www.msnbc.com
RAMALLAH, West Bank - Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat was critically ill Wednesday night, and an ambulance was rushed to his beleaguered West Bank headquarters, Israeli and Palestinian officials told NBC News.

It was not clear what Arafat, 75, was suffering from, but he was �very, very sick,� a Palestinian cabinet minister told Reuters, speaking on condition of anonymity. Similarly, a senior Palestinian official told The Associated Press that Arafat was in �serious condition.�

[edit on 10/27/2004 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'd like to think that this may help bring some resolution to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, however I doubt that Arafat's death will change anything. He's certainly a bad man that's taken advantage of an already bad situation in his pursuit of power, so I find it hard to have any sympathy for him. I'm not necessarily Palestinian bashing... I'm Arafat bashing. I could never personally wish violence on anyone, but when 'ol mother nature finally claims him, the world will be a slightly (very slightly) better place.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Jesus Christ everything is fitting into place to perfect. Tooo many random things happening lately.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The intersting bit is this: the chain of command is very very scattered and hazy. Why? maybe so that those under him would not get ideas of thier own. What if one of the more radical elements seize controll? YOu can kiss off the Isreali pullout for sure. Its funny that he was okay yesterday and went bad this quick. In the ICU, patients can change in minutes, but he was seen by a team of MD's that day alone. No one noticed any other issues? Unless they all went to "Upstairs Hollywood Medical School" then you have to wonder if something or someone got to him last night? Maybe a ultra right spliter cell of the Mossad? Who knows or even someone in his own party.

If Arafat dies, this could be really really bad IMHO. He has impeded the peace process but his replacement could be much worse.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
It's wrong to say about another human being but I hope its a permanent vacation. The only hope for the Palestinian people is new and progressive leadership.

B

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Bad?
Best news to happen all week!

He had just become a liability to the palastinians and a block to dialogue with the west.

Watch for attacks among the power hungry groups vieing for control in the next few weeks.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I say this without any sympathy for the man, I hope he gets what he desrves in the afterlife. He is a filthy crook.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Come on.The guys what? in his 70s 80s.....Old people get sick and die, especially when you have lived the life he has.....hard AND indulgent.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
He had just become a liability to the palastinians and a block to dialogue with the west.

Of that I have no doubt Netchicken. Arafat and the PA have done nothing but harm the people of Palestine. He does need to go, but, the power vacume that follows will be ugly and result one of the more radical elements taking controll.

However, I just posted an update and a committee has been formed to take over Arafats powers. The members of the committee include: Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia, his predecessor, Mahmoud Abbas, and Salim Zaanoun, head of the Palestinian National Council

[edit on 10/27/04 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
"will be ugly and result one of the more radical elements taking controll." or killing eachother off resulting in resentment by palestinians which unifies them and they end up gaining actual UN and israeli support and with their permission to disarm them and stop the extremists.....who knows.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Geez, all the talk of terror alerts, election chaos, missing explosives, and now Arafat dying....seems like a real chain reaction of events. I'm not an alarmist, but I'm keeping my eyes and ears open.
As for the reports on Arafat's health, if they are saying he's collapsed and unconsicous, I'm guessing he's a goner.
joey

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
It is very sad that he is getting so sick, no do not get me wrong I see him as a human being.

Now if he dies I believe that the country will go into chaos and a power struggle to fill his place.

Things can actually work for the better when it comes to the Israelis if he dies.

[edit on 073131p://333 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
````

the reported throwing up, 'voiding' , is a common reaction when a
brain injury, or 'stroke' has occurred.

Y.A. may just be around for more years,
but ,like you say....the mantle of authority is being passed.

```

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Israel's reaction to Arafat's passing, if it happens, will be pivotal to the stability in the region. Yasser Arafat may have been seen by a good number of people in the West and by the Israelis as the enemy, I would ask people to remember how Arafat acted when Rabin was killed:

cgi.cnn.com...

So no matter what the Israelis thought of the man, their reaction could signal either new possibilities (if Sharon's government pays its respects to Arafat in an honorable way) or renewed Palestinian anger (if Sharon's government gloats).

Very, very delicate situation.

LL1

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
So you think it's good, great that Arafat is sick and may die
do you?
Well I don't, as the link between OBL, Hamas and Arafat was
one of turmoil.
OBL stated that when the time comes when Arafat dies, was one
of the signs that they will again attack the U.S.
If Arafat dies, I suspect all heck will break in Palestine

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
the reported throwing up, 'voiding' , is a common reaction when a brain injury, or 'stroke' has occurred.

Nausea and vomiting are symptoms of almost any disease process. He has been having digestive trouble. The sudden vomiting and collapse, may also be espohageal varicies that may have let go.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Could he have been poisoned? Of course no one can answer that but maybe the Palestinians have had enough of him. Odds are his time has come one way or the other.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join