It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Sons School Was On a Real Lockdown Today!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
So today, I am out with my daughter running errands. After I got home, I received a phone call from my sons Principal. The message said that we are calling to let you know about an incident on campus today......SO I am eagerly waiting for the meat of the message. It went on to say that there were 2 men in the school parking lot arguing and a witness thought he saw or heard (not sure which) a gun. This witness began to run through the school yelling, "LOCKDOWN, LOCKDOWN" all the way to the principals office. The children were locked down immediately and the police were called. I wish I knew more details but I don't. And I am not sure if I even remember the message in full.

When the police showed up, the man had disappeared and there was a manhunt. Children missed lunches and recess before they apprehended the suspect!!!

SO....THIS HAPPENED and I did not get the call until much later? Hours after school is out and supposed to be safe at daycare.

I do not know any more details as I plan on calling the school and maybe the PD tomorrow......

The ODD thing about this whole situation is that last Friday I had a mandatory meeting with the school teacher. I patiently waited in the parking lot in front of his classroom for 20 minutes to allow all the kids to get on their buses and out of the way, but while I waited I noticed something I had to bring up during the meeting.

I noticed that from the parking lot only 30 feet away from where I was parked, all the kids including my son were lined up near the window. Now I am an Army Veteran so my very first thought was how odd. If I was a madman and wanted to take out a bunch of kids......Oh look pop pop pop pop pop, easy as pie!!!! What was she thinking?????? So during our meeting, obviously school security was brought up. My sons class is the FIRST classroom next to an exit so I inquired about her protocol and she tried to make me feel better about how that door is locked BLA BLA BLA.....The conversation didn't make me feel any better....

So conclusion, do I think armed security guards should be in schools?? Well before today I would say NO!! Now what I am thinking is I don't know.....maybe I will home school my son like I do my daughter...I know I am a little over dramatic but he is a first grader and it does hit close to the heart.

edit on 1/14/2013 by semperfortis because: Correct ALL CAPS

edit on 14-1-2013 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
So instead of getting the kids safe and 'locked down' and making sure the school perimeter is secure or whatever, youd prefer teachers to be phoning parents and causing mass panic over what could be nothing?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Well im glad that everything turned out safe in the end. The children should not be anywhere near the windows, that doesn't sound like the lock down drills I remember 20 years ago. The doors had to be locked, lights turned off, window curtains closed and kids were to go to the walls and corner of the classroom away from view of the windows and the door window.

Seeing as this was a potential real threat I can see why they didn't call parents right away and say "There is a strange man wandering the halls and everyone is locked down" causing a panic and potentially more victims being the parents running to the school in fear. In the end it would greatly complicate catching someone and figuring out who the threat is quickly and apprehending them.

Lockdowns are scary things for kids and parents regardless if its just a drill or a threat.

link   

So conclusion, do I think an armed security guards should be in schools?? Well before today I would say NO!! Now what I am thinking is I don't know......

There are armed police officers in every school in my city and have been since ive lived here (12 or so years)
I honestly dont see a problem with it. Now, if it were TSA agents, I might feel a bit different, especially since they like to feel people up.

link   
Yes. You do know. Look at all the drama you display in your communication in this post.

Either you are feeling 100 times that inside, or you are being overdramatic for whatever reason. If, in fact, you are telling the truth, then it's a no brainer, isn't it?

Your childs safety should never have a question mark.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
all i can say is that the parents of sandy hook wish they had 100 armed security guards.

edit on 14-1-2013 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Idonthaveabeard
So instead of getting the kids safe and 'locked down' and making sure the school perimeter is secure or whatever, youd prefer teachers to be phoning parents and causing mass panic over what could be nothing?

Most modern schools have automated notification by phone/text or email of a lockdown.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Idonthaveabeard

No not at all, but 3 hours later??? After school is over, when I think he is at daycare all fine and dandy without having a lunch??????????

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Libertygal
Yes. You do know. Look at all the drama you display in your communication in this post.

Either you are feeling 100 times that inside, or you are being overdramatic for whatever reason. If, in fact, you are telling the truth, then it's a no brainer, isn't it?

The question mark is me thinking about pulling him out of school to home school him!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

Originally posted by Libertygal

The question mark is me thinking about pulling him out of school to home school him!!!

You never mentioned it in your OP. If you have the option to do that, what were you thinking putting him in a government indoctrination center?

Start tomorrow. Don't wait. All you have to do is download the paperwork, and go file it with your superintendant tomorrow.

This is a no brainer... sorry.

edit on 14-1-2013 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Yes I got the automated message hours after school was over...like I said I thought he was at daycare without any problems etc.....I am so glad everything ended up okay too.....He is a first grader so this hit me a lil close, so I may be overly dramatic right now....

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Sounds like that "witness" got freaked over a potentially non-issue and started acting like an irrational freaked out moron, running around screaming "lockdown!" Sounds like the witness was still all in a tizzy about the "shooting" and projected more to the situation than there actually was.

It went on to say that there were 2 men in the school parking lot arguing and a witness thought he saw or heard (not sure which) a gun.

Thought he or she saw or heard a gun? Which is it, and who is confused: the witness, the principal, or you not recalling what the message said?

Lockdowns happen very frequently, and are rarely because of a true threat to children or school, but are a precaution.

I have seen multiple reports of a theft or a robbery or other random crimes and all the schools get locked down in the area as a precaution. That's just it: a precaution. And it usually amounts to nothing.

Glad everything turned out ok and no one is hurt, but this entire post and incident (at least with the witness) seem to be the result of overreaction. Good thing the principal called to say, "hey this happened, but everything is fine, it was nothing," with a level head, while others are freaked out and overreacting, including parents--after the fact.

ETA: And this is EXACTLY the kind of stuff that adds to "conspiracy thinking" such as surround the Sandy Hook shooting, when people say "OMG the reporting and information doesn't add up". Well, yeah, because it's initially irrational. The information in this incident is so all over the place, that it is not known if there even was a gun, or even what someone thought sounded like a gun or simply a car door slam.

Perfect Example.
edit on 14-1-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

Yes I got the automated message hours after school was over...like I said I thought he was at daycare without any problems etc.....I am so glad everything ended up okay too.....He is a first grader so this hit me a lil close, so I may be overly dramatic right now....

It's understandable, you love your baby. Now give him the love no school can, a real education without prejudice to your religion or beliefs. Without restriction to the flag and constitution, and the full knowledge he needs to succeed in life.

Schools are to produce low wage worker bees for low wage jobs, menial jobs for people that don't know enough to ask questions.

Set him free and love him with everything you have.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

I have seen multiple reports of a theft or a robbery or other random crimes and all the schools get locked down in the area as a precaution. That's just it: a precaution. And it usually amounts to nothing.

Yep, something can happen two blocks away and the schools will go on lockdown.

during my sons 4 year stint in high school, there were at least two bomb threats a year. The school would bring the kids outside, determine theres no threat and take them back inside.
Then they would send a letter home to inform the parents and I would always disregard them as some teenage punk that was bored.
edit on 1/14/2013 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I'm glad your son is okay.

Best wishes.

I know out here there are armed officers posted at every school. I actually think it's safer. Some do fall through cracks but it does minimize the violence at the schools.
edit on 14-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I remember when I was in high school.....there was no such thing as bomb threats or lockdowns. Wow so much has changed since long hair rocknroll days LOL!

new topics

top topics

join