It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I have executive powers over guns..." - It's starting...

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas
reply to post by Ghost375

it was an expression and you knew that just spitting hairs in your reply,and under her bill GIVING or SELLING them would be ILLEGAL thus when the owner of said gun dies the government gets it and that is the problem alot of people have with her bill,not to mention it wont stop with this Fienestines total goal is the 100% removal of firearms from Americans as she hates guns.

Correction, she hates citizens owning guns. She is perfectly okay with owning guns herself.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
We need more guns to stop all the needless shootings!!! We need more burgers to stop the obesity problem!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Not about guns... about president invoking powers he doesn't have.....

That part doesn't make you even a little bit mad?

You think Obama should be able to just dictate law?

There is a word for Leaders who dictate..... it's called a dictator...

------------

Again I'm suprised both sides aren't up in arms re: that little detail..

I mean it's one thing to support a law that goes through both houses of congress... you know... the law making branch of the government...

It's another entirely to support the President making law himself without even so much as a vote from anyone..
edit on 15-1-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
However to play devils advocate Abraham Lincoln did the same thing so that he could end slavery same laws different times. The problem therein lies with the executive orders.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yes, ignoring all the facts about gun control and the results are the way to go here. If you even think of replying "what facts?" then you need to take your blinders off.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradientWell
However to play devils advocate Abraham Lincoln did the same thing so that he could end slavery same laws different times. The problem therein lies with the executive orders.

Umm, no.

You're a product of government education.

Lincoln did it, because he was gravely worried that Britain would join the South.

He knew they couldn't ally with a force that supported slavery, vs a force that condemned it.

It was a purely political move, and in truth, it didn't do anything. It freed the slaves in the South, which he had no jurisdiction over.

Lincoln didn't care about slavery to the extent it's made out to be, that's propaganda.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
i wasnt arguing that i was saying that he used the same powers just let that guard down for a second man and read the posts mkay

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
and as to your government education statement ill just let you look like the bully in front of everyone

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Because Dick and King George stepped down. So will Obama. And since I'm at work and only have a quick second (no time to google) didn't the Supreme COurt say that the president could use EOs to affect gun laws?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

Of course, I been to these countries .. I lived right next to Switzerland .. They not coming even close to the United States ...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by IBelieveInAliens

Wow .. you really hate America!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I dont think so didnt clinton use them for the same thing also not sure bout that either.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by flyandi

Headline: "I have executive powers over guns..." - It's starting...,

First off...enough with BS...DON'T PUT USE QUOTATION MARKS TO MISLEAD PEOPLE...The President NEVER SAID THAT....I want to read your OP...But when it begins with dishonesty...why should anyone care?

Originally posted by flyandi

President Obama just said in a Press Conference that he will use his "executive" powers to introduce gun control measures... well Hitler did the same thing in 1938 and we all know how that ended.

Invoking Hitler in every argument is just TIRED BS...It has been done so often and dishonestly there is an actual term for it!

Reductio ad Hitlerum

What he actually SAID..
""Some of them will require legislation, some of them I can accomplish through executive action. "

NOT..Executive Order...Not Nazi's...

Executive action refers to administration of laws currently on the books. What an "ADMINISTRATION" does.

Otherwise there are laws and regulations on the books that can be enforced, that are not being enforced well now....regulation, enforcement, statements of policy...etc..

Educate yourself on the terms before taking a trip to loony town and shouting about Nazi's.

Here...Time breaks it down for the sane portion of the USA.

Those steps could include ordering stricter action against people who lie on gun sale background checks, striking limits on federal research into gun use, ordering tougher penalties against gun trafficking, and giving schools flexibility to use grant money to improve safety.

swampland.time.com...

edit on 15-1-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

Originally posted by flyandi
If you grow up in countries like Europe (like I did) you don't realize that and you follow the majority of the people's opinion that it is not good - well once you lived a couple years in the US (like I did) - you are starting to realize that you have been brainwashed since your birth and there is more to life than just work and paying taxes.

That's a funny thing you say there, I lived/worked in the states for more than 8 years, it was exactly the opposite.
Over in the states, it was ALL ABOUT WORKING and paying taxes and just making it over the next month paying your CC bills, let alone medical bills or whatever..DARE you fricking get sick over there or expenses coming up which you didn't anticipate...

This is what the majority of the lower-class and middle-class life is in the states - in CONTRAST to Europe where the amount of work is WAY less because we have a lot more free time, holidays, paid vacations than compared in the states. Makes me wonder in what "European country" you lived before, must be some former eastern-block country because the US is BY FAR not that Disneyland as you describe it here.. where you realize "you have been brainwashed before". What a total contradiction to my own experiences! And by the way, "Europe" is not a country.
edit on 15-1-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

Yeah I also doubt the OP has ever left the US, the idea that folk in Europe are unhappy (because they don't have teh guns) and do nothing but work work work is insanely inaccurate...

It's merely projection, and after seeing all the bat**** crazy people like Alex Jones recently, the argument for guns isn't being presented very well at all.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Voices of reason. gotta love em. : )

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Prezbo369

It's merely projection, and after seeing all the bat**** crazy people like Alex Jones recently, the argument for guns isn't being presented very well at all.

Which is exactly why the agenda driven media pulled forward the extremists and lunatics like Alex Jones, to invalidate all valid arguments for gun rights.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ausername

Which is exactly why the agenda driven media pulled forward the extremists and lunatics like Alex Jones, to invalidate all valid arguments for gun rights.

The arguments have always been invalid to the ignorant sheep. Alex did not invalidate anything. Being nice has gotten us nowhere its time to get mad and not be nice anymore. The sheeple are not going to help us anyway they never have in history. Its time for the millions that know and understand what going on to stand as one and to hell with the damned sheep!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ausername

Weird, whenever people have a different opinion to one given by 'the media', it's an agenda, a conspiracy.

Were the op and the other folk invoking Hitler and the Nazis also pulled in by the agenda driven (and seemingly insidious) media?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by flyandi

The President isn't a king

When something like this happens - it's done to make sure something happens

Can executive orders be overturned? Congress may attempt to overturn an executive order by passing legislation (a bill) that opposes the order. However, the President can veto that bill, and Congress would then need to override that veto to pass the bill. Also, the Supreme Court can declare an executive order to be unconstitutional.

answers.usa.gov... ATION=1000&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=25200000

If and when this happens - then it's in the works

So, our legal system is put through it's paces - this is the beauty of our system

The lobbyists are going to have to do some extra fancy dancing to get their way - it will be interesting to watch

Go America

edit on 1/15/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join