It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I have executive powers over guns..." - It's starting...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+94 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
My first thread on ATS, and I wish I could talk about more scientific stuff than this here, BUT this one just reminds me too much how my Grandmom told me her story from WWII .. and it scares me a lot.

www.weeklystandard.com...

President Obama just said in a Press Conference that he will use his "executive" powers to introduce gun control measures... well Hitler did the same thing in 1938 and we all know how that ended. This is maybe a pretty harsh comparison, but if history showed us one thing, than it's these little things/arguments/statements that lead to bigger things - sometimes war and million of deaths - and that's not a understatement.

Today I understand how important rights/laws like the 2nd are for the general population and how it can protect all of our lives. If you grow up in countries like Europe (like I did) you don't realize that and you follow the majority of the people's opinion that it is not good - well once you lived a couple years in the US (like I did) - you are starting to realize that you have been brainwashed since your birth and there is more to life than just work and paying taxes. I traveled a lot and saw many countries - from a work-related standpoint (no vacation) - so most of the time I got the chance to socialize with local people. One thing that always emerged was that people are barely happy. Sure they have good jobs, get well paid (even in China sometimes) and have some kind of freedom, but really happy? I never saw this... there were always complaints about this and that.

I never had that feeling in the United States. Sure people complaint here, too - but it's still different. People complaint about restrictions of their personal liberties - and people get very passionate by that. It's a different tone - something I haven't seen in any other country I have traveled to (132 in total). Overall, I can say that people are more happy in the United States than in any other country - well statistics maybe disagree with me, but that's my personal observation .. and people don't like to have this taken away...

Now that I have a family and children, I think you get even more protective of your life and surroundings. So if someone comes along who threatens to take this away with such an arrogant and dictator-like behavior, all the alarm bells are starting to ring and all of these "crazy" grandmom stories suddenly become not so crazy .. and I don't refer this only to guns, but also to the personal and individual liberty that everyone enjoys (and most of the time take it for granted - which is I think absolutely OK).

I think we live in a very dangerous time and we need to take action not only to protect ourselves but also our children which will end up living in the society we shape today .. and I am pretty sure that I don't want my children to live in a European-like ideology because I know where it can put someone and I much rather have them learn and appreciate the "American Way".

Since weeks I am puzzled how this could play out in the United States. I saw a couple of SHTF scenarios and how it would turn out, however I think it's going to be a slow choppy process - taking one right away at a time - and I hope that people realize that.

I never really learned "Political Correctness" and I say things that sometimes look offending, however it's just my honest opinion:

It doesn't matter if you liberal/republican/tea-party/etc - all alarm bells should ring if a person - especially the president - starts to talk to attack the constitution and use in worst case executive powers to override everyone to push through an agenda - especially in such sensitive topics like Gun Control. This is the first step to dictatorship, because we have seen it so many times exactly like that in history...

Wake up People!

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Actually talked about this over the weekend with a "friend". What bothered me, is that he is ex military, and is completely on edge about this. After talking for a while, we agreed on one thing. Its not a matter of if, but when. And with the way things are playing out, its going to be sooner rather than later.

Just think, all were hearing are threats and talk at this point, wait until he signs an order or passes something through congress..... its only going to get ugly from here on out.

"Buckle your seatbelt Dorothy, cuz kansas, is going bye bye."

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by flyandi

well Hitler did the same thing in 1938 and we all know how that ended.

While I don't believe anyone can tell you what you should be allowed to do, especially if you are responsible, you might want to brush up on your history. If you are referring to the Feinstein Bill and are comparing it to Hitler's gun control policy, although they are similar, Hitler's policy was an extension of post-World War I gun control measures set on Germany by the Allies to keep Germany from militarizing itself.

The proposed Feinstein assault weapons ban itself doesn’t call for confiscation, and would in fact allow owners of any banned guns to keep their weapons when/ if the bill goes into effect. A Connecticut lawmaker is calling for background checks to buy ammo, but this is in no way in the “confiscation” vein.

Hitler, then, came into power when this regulation was in effect … so, yes, Hitler, by default, did have a gun control policy — but only because it was forced on Germany.

I'm not defending this monster, only showing you that the thing most often repeated by the pro-gun people is a fallacy.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
The only good thing about this, and I don't like it, by the way, is if he does sign an EO, at least the next president can get rid of it right away.

Whatever he decides to do.

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

I actually referred to the "1938 German Weapons Act" .. and yes - no question, Germany always had though gun control laws - sometimes less - sometimes more .. however after the 1938 law - it was a lot easier for Hitler to push his agenda through - especially because selective groups where suddenly exempt from Gun Controls .. making it easy to arm the citizen and people you want to have guns, while the rest can't fight back.

I see the same thing happening here .. the President and the "Elite" is surround by armed guards while the general public is threatened with loosing their rights ...

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
The only good thing about this, and I don't like it, by the way, is if he does sign an EO, at least the next president can get rid of it right away.

Don't you think that would be too late for the American society though? Let's hope we never have to find out what would happen.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I 100% agree - and I think that's the most scary thing.

Once the 2nd is touched - how long do you think it will take until other amendments are in jeopardy? I think that's the biggest issue with this whole debate. The 2nd is more or less the last resort/protection for all the other constitutional rights and probably the toughest to take on ..

All the rights will be easy targets if they get to the point where they can pass laws that render the 2nd useless.
edit on 14-1-2013 by flyandi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by flyandi

As it stands now, you have had Supreme court rulings on what weapons are covered under the 2nd. So in effect, they have already done the same thing in the US. The US military can have rocket launchers, RPG's, and other weapons that public civilians cannot have. The US supreme court case that I am referring to was in 1939, one year after Hitler's law.

+55 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
NO president has the power to issue executive orders to remove constitutional rights. Just because Obama claims he can doesnt make it so. Who the hell does he think he is? How much more does he have to prove his anti-constitutional and anti-american extremism before people open their eyes?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
The proposed Feinstein assault weapons ban itself doesn’t call for confiscation, and would in fact allow owners of any banned guns to keep their weapons when/ if the bill goes into effect. A Connecticut lawmaker is calling for background checks to buy ammo, but this is in no way in the “confiscation” vein.

The Feinstein Ban is a bill proposal, not an executive order. One would be properly subject to debate and voting the other would be 'bend over and take it 'cause I'm the president and I said so' kinda thing... really big difference.
An executive order from the white house would circumnavigate the constitution, saving the elected officials the inevitable political fallout of trying to violate our 2nd ammendment rights.

All this debate about the constitution is frighteningly moot if they are talking about using executive powers.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

All this debate about the constitution is frighteningly moot if they are talking about using executive powers.

Absolutely right, thank you.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyandi

I actually referred to the "1938 German Weapons Act" .. and yes - no question, Germany always had though gun control laws - sometimes less - sometimes more .. however after the 1938 law - it was a lot easier for Hitler to push his agenda through - especially because selective groups where suddenly exempt from Gun Controls .. making it easy to arm the citizen and people you want to have guns, while the rest can't fight back.

I see the same thing happening here .. the President and the "Elite" is surround by armed guards while the general public is threatened with loosing their rights ...

I see something similar happening here and have told people Everything Hitler did was legal when it came to his rise into power! 100%

The problem we have though is people trying to blame Obama. He is no more to blame then Bush or Clinton was in this. Just another puppet made for distraction. And honestly I think that whoever it is being groomed for this is still a few years off. Next election perhaps? Someone who will rise very quickly and have all the powers in place just as Hitler did.
edit on 14-1-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by flyandi

The rich and the poor have to live together. I keep getting this feeling though they enjoy hurting us
because we're not as smart as them. We didn't build the guitars, and harmonize the measurements so we're deemed "unworthy." But we're all capable of creating anything we want, and learning anything we want, and it's those with consistent signs of responsibility and moral high ground that should and can rationalize with dictators given the appropriate military support and citizen engagement in politics and the finer sciences of life.
edit on 14-1-2013 by streetfightingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom

Not if obama becomes king

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

edit on 14-1-2013 by Tw0Sides because: wrong thread, wrong info

+51 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
All I know is that this is the breaking point for this nation. If we do not stand up for our rights they will be gone. PERIOD, no if's, and's or but's.........they fully intend on gutting the 2nd Amendment, piecemeal if necessary and they will use every last trick in the book to do it. They will ban import and production of certain guns and accessories, they will make ammo so expensive nobody can afford to shoot, they will make owning guns or buying them a bureaucratic nightmare and prohibitively expensive. They will use mandatory mental health screenings to deny ownership and revoke one's rights. They might even demand RFID built in to any new guns.
If they see public interest waning they will up the ante - more shootings, false flags and perhaps even a false flag attempt to hurt the POTUS (narrowly avoided of course) and blame it on right-wing militia types. After some of the videos like the one with the bald guy that runs the gun training school it wouldn't be hard to believe someone might take a potshot either.
They're all in on this one. It's do or die as the economy sputters to a halt and the dollar prepares to crash. They feel they must have absolute control before it does. Be ready for anything is all I can say. We're living in historical times though we don't realize it yet.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

What makes you think there's going to be a "next president"?

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

It's really nice to know there are still staff members here who understand the nature of conspiracy.

I was beginning to have some doubts.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Your guns cannot stop the weapons the military has now.

You could have all the guns you want and not a a single one can stop a hellfire missle fired from a mile away. To think that a hand gun or a rifle is gonna protect you from a jet flying several miles above you is idiotic.

If Obama starts talking about how much he loves god and says that the unbelievers must be placed in camps or murdered for jesus then we have a problem. Hitler was a catholic and his reasons for killing the jews were religious. Have you seen his painting of Mary and baby jesus... its quite good for a psychopath.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

To be honest, I think one of two things will happen with his EO.
1) He puts one out that sounds all nice a wordy, but actually doesn't limit anything.
2) He puts one out that just basically just limits ammo clips.

I don't know? I just want his term to be over, yesterday.
But I also would like the world to have common sense, and we all know that isn't happening.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join