It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can $700 buy computer wise.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
All mass produced computers (Dell, HP, Compaq, eMachine etc.) SUCK!! Proprietary parts that cant be replaced without shipping the whole damned computer out to the company for a few weeks. Customer service almost always blows, and they dont know jack # about what they are actually selling. Its all by a book. They dont even need to be certified at all to be a tech support. Which really SUCKS.

[/rant]

I just cant stand these mass produced comps...

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
All mass produced computers (Dell, HP, Compaq, eMachine etc.) SUCK!! Proprietary parts that cant be replaced without shipping the whole damned computer out to the company for a few weeks. Customer service almost always blows, and they dont know jack # about what they are actually selling. Its all by a book. They dont even need to be certified at all to be a tech support. Which really SUCKS.

[/rant]

I just cant stand these mass produced comps...

Too true too true.
Man why is dell on your list. Been using and upgrading Dell(at my former work which I left in 2002) with non dell parts for at least 5 years. Dell comps are great IMO, but they do not compare to Alien Ware rigs. Not sure if they have any PCs in the 700 buck radius but here is the website so you can drool.

www.alienware.com...

Check out this comp. The ALX ....

The top of the box is rounded because it houses liquid cooling. :drool:

www.alienware.com...

Not exactly in your or my price range but its sweet anyway

[edit on 29-12-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
www.alienware.com...

www.alienware.com...

Alienware computers are pretty cool but they are waaaaayyyyy overpriced.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Overprised?? You do know every part is Top of the line and modified for VDgames to boot. If I had the money(and for some of thier lower models I do check the whole site out they got alot more stuff then they did like a year ago.) USAF is even buying thier comps from Alienware now(Ironic isn't it
) Why Cuz they are the best comp builders in the business. My buddy(who is insanely Spoiled by his rich family) got an Alienware for christmas two years ago and it runs Doom III perfectly with only the videocard having been upgraded. His dad spent like 3 g's on it and its still good. I've spent in the last 2 years 4 g's and my comp still doesn't compare to his. (Btw the videocard hes using now is FX 5800 Pro or Extreme or whatever the top of that line is, he probably got a 6800 Pro for christmas, don't talk to him anymore as he is a stuck up l33t dude.)

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Alienware is basically crap too. Any computer that uses proprietary parts sucls. If you have to send it in to fix the mobo or something, then it sucks. If you want a computer that costs that much, get a VoodooPC or Falcon Northwest, they cost about the same or less as Alienware, and they use 3rd Party parts, like ASUS Mobos, without anything locked.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Alienware is basically crap too. Any computer that uses proprietary parts sucls. If you have to send it in to fix the mobo or something, then it sucks. If you want a computer that costs that much, get a VoodooPC or Falcon Northwest, they cost about the same or less as Alienware, and they use 3rd Party parts, like ASUS Mobos, without anything locked.

Umm, I pretty sure Alienware rigs(as well as Dell) can use 3rd party parts, that guy has/had an Asus 5800 Pro/Extreme in his Alienware rig. If they aren't supposed to work then I've been really really lucky with the Dells that I worked with as they pretty much didn't require any more tweaking and fiddling then normal to get everything up to snuff. Only beef I had with Dell was the horrible Case designs, but Anyway the primary reason I like alienware rigs are due to the internal Liquid cooling and individually tweaked parts.

Compaq and HP proprietary comps are the only ones I have ever encountered that are a bitch to get 3rd party equipment to work, but I was stubborn and usually got things to work, somtimes barely but enough so it would do what it needed to do.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Nope, Dell and Alienware come with their own "built for self" proprietary parts. Alienware comps have Alienware Mobos, Dell comps have Dell Mobos. Those are not 3rd party.

I will never use a Mass Produced computer ever again in my life. After a few paypal payments comethrough Ill be upgrading my mobo and CPU to a Athlon 64 3400+ and a MSI K8N Neo-FSR, case to a XaserIII, 512mb HyperX Kingston and I just ordered my new nVidia 6600GT. I prefer ATI, but this costs about the same as the only ATI that I could afford (9800Pro), and is better in almost all aspects.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Nope, Dell and Alienware come with their own "built for self" proprietary parts. Alienware comps have Alienware Mobos, Dell comps have Dell Mobos. Those are not 3rd party.

I will never use a Mass Produced computer ever again in my life. After a few paypal payments comethrough Ill be upgrading my mobo and CPU to a Athlon 64 3400+ and a MSI K8N Neo-FSR, case to a XaserIII, 512mb HyperX Kingston and I just ordered my new nVidia 6600GT. I prefer ATI, but this costs about the same as the only ATI that I could afford (9800Pro), and is better in almost all aspects.

Yes they do come with thier own parts, but ya know what the interfaces are Standard(and the cases ATX formfactor) so swapping in and out is easy. Trust me I worked in Hardware at a Payroll company for 5+ years I know
I remember back in the day(ie before '98) what you are saying was true as every mass-produced comp had its own standard(ie they had there own PCI, SCSI, Monitor input so only thier stuff would fit in the slot) but such is not the case now. The most that might happen is you might get some conflicts but those are fairly easily dealt with.

www.alienware.com...

As you can see from thier custom configuration they have 3rd Party options unless you consider NVIDIA or Intel parts proprietary alienware HW because it doesn't have an ASUS logo on it.

The Proprietary Dinosaurs of the PC industry are long dead. HP was the last to abandon its proprietary PC program. I believe it may be making a revival in China but thats not here.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Custom building is way better than Alienware or any other company you'll ever find.

First, you actually know what is going into it. Second, it's exactly the way you like it, instead of choosing between two models that each have some qualities you like. Third, you assemble it yourself so you save a bunch of money right there. Lastly you can get liquid cooling systems built into cases for less than $400.

I'm getting a custom built myself and so far the estimate is 8+ grand. Not that I'm getting it anytime in the near future (or even within this year, for that matter).

Here's the specs:
• Two Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz processors

• Two 15K RPM 36.6 harddrives
• ATI Radeon 9800 256 MB
• CD-ROM drive
• Zip 750 drive
• CD/DVD RW drive
• 4 GB RAM
• 19" flat-screen CRT moniter
• Dolby Digital Audigy 5.1 sound card
• 5.1 surround speakers
• Exos-Al liquid cooling system built into case

• Zippy pro electron lighted keyboard
• Wireless mouse (red)

Awesome, huh? I know that getting two processors sounds ubsurd, but mark my words we'll be using multiple-thread software that takes advantage of them in the very near future (like before I even get the computer
)

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Yes, I would take a custom built machine over some assembly line machine. Custom machines (either built yourself, or at a local computer store) tend to be cheaper, upgradable, and you know what is in it. Also if you build it yourself you get that warm, fuzzy feeling inside everytime you start your machine up.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
If you want your pc build with the future in mind
and when you´re old enough to smoke :

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
u can get a mac mini for but that price check out applesweb site

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot

Originally posted by sardion2000
www.alienware.com...

www.alienware.com...

Alienware computers sre for the idots who dont know how to build their own good systems
Alienware computers are pretty cool but they are waaaaayyyyy overpriced.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sarcasimo
Yes, I would take a custom built machine over some assembly line machine. Custom machines (either built yourself, or at a local computer store) tend to be cheaper, upgradable, and you know what is in it. Also if you build it yourself you get that warm, fuzzy feeling inside everytime you start your machine up.
yes i built my own ive only had a 2 problems with it which took little time to repairdont buy dell i heard that they make you pay loads for broken parts which you will pay for cause it will break

top topics

<< 1   >>

join