It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German activists start campaign to destroy surveillance cameras

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Until I see surveillance cameras in government buildings that are accessible by the public I will not agree with peeping on the people one itty bit. Until they can trust us to trust them, they are nothing but wolves in sheep's clothing.

Bring Down The Wall!!
edit on 2013/1/15 by Jimjolnir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rikku
i don't care if the government is watching me walk home, listening to my phonecall's, or checking what what i look at online.
i dont care because i'm not a criminal and i'm not doing anything wrong.
if its an issue for you, maybe youre doing things you shouldn't be doing.

Until................

#1 “Pre-Crime” Surveillance Cameras

A company known as BRS Labs has developed “pre-crime” surveillance cameras that can supposedly determine if you are a terrorist or a criminal even before you commit a crime. Does that sound insane?

Well, authorities are taking this technology quite seriously. In fact, dozens of these cameras are being installed at major transportation hubs in San Francisco…. In its latest project BRS Labs is to install its devices on the transport system in San Francisco, which includes buses, trams and subways. The company says will put them in 12 stations with up to 22 cameras in each, bringing the total number to 288. The cameras will be able to track up to 150 people at a time in real time and will gradually build up a ‘memory’ of suspicious behaviour to work out what is suspicious.

Link

But you have NOTHING to worry about.......

And innocent people NEVER spend 20- 30 years in jail, for crimes they don't commit.

edit on 15-1-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Good initiative!

...and something that almost anyone can do in their city.

I dare all the naysayers and people dissing these black blocs as "confused teenagers" to come up with a better plan against this techno tyranny. Seemingly you DON'T, as you're just complaining and doing nothing against it.

Those are the real freedom fighters... those who fight despotism no matter the laws that defend it.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Wasnt it in the UK where they wanted to put a camera in every house to prevent children being abused or molested ? i bet all the dope smokers here wouldnt like that ! then cameras in every street in every neighborhood ,then we will have constant mini drones flying over houses,city etc ,in the NWO im sure this will be the case but then,'' Durr if ya no doin somethin wrong ya go nothun ta fear ''

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Just what we need.

Another radical, destructive movement.

What happened to a legal movement? What is stopping
a group of lawyers from aggregating with Scott from Texas
and creating a slew of amendments that nullify and repeal
existing acts that have amended the constitution since 1930?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
The problem is, it isn't a black and white issue. I, like most of you don't like the idea that someone could follow me everywhere by using cctv.

However when I was attacked and almost killed in full view of over a hundred people and not only did they not come to help, not a single one would give a statement to the police; I sincerely wish there had been a camera to see it. I had to let the people who did it get away because I had no evidence and nobody would be a witness.

When the people (in my case in England) start showing they can act like decent human beings, maybe the cameras wont be needed. Yes I know that's a blanket statement and a lot of people are decent and would have acted differently, but too many aren't.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
this is apparently happening in the UK too , people are just fed up with the cameras constantly watching them !

two guys in salford manchester cut down a CCTV mast with an angle grinder

It would be easier to make a small EMP with a disposable camera flash and a capacitor and get it near the cctv would take less time and less chance of being caught plus it completely disables the camera

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
What's the betting that the same people who vehemently claim cctv to be a societal evil are also the ones saying a gun is just a tool? I'd love to see a Venn diagram of the two subsets.

All of that eye in the sky stuff is a gross invasion of privacy.

Once the camera whore generation trend finally comes and goes I hope we get our rights back.

Get your kids off social media. They grow up accepting eye in the sky intrusions as the norm.

edit on 15-1-2013 by PrincessTofu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by oldmeatwad

Originally posted by Rikku
i don't care if the government is watching me walk home, listening to my phonecall's, or checking what what i look at online.
i dont care because i'm not a criminal and i'm not doing anything wrong.
if its an issue for you, maybe youre doing things you shouldn't be doing.

This sir is where you are wrong. You are doing something wrong at all times.

- If you are standing on a street corner staring at the sunset - YOU ARE LOITERING!
- If you go one mile over the posted speed limit regardless of the reason - YOU ARE SPEEDING!
- If you step onto the sidewalk in front of your home with an open beer - YOU ARE BREAKING THE OPEN CONTAINER LAW!
- If you step outside of the crosswalk painted lines in an intersection - YOU ARE JAYWALKING!

Do you see??? Do you get it?? You are ALWAYS breaking the law. That's how it it these days - its a revenue generator for most states and they will not give it up. And guess what . . . .They can see all of this activity on camera so you stand zero chance of saying it was an accident.

Its UNFAIR - its OPPRESSIVE and ITS NOT ACCIDENTAL. I will not attack you personally as you are entitled to your opinion. However, please check your local towns laws and ordinances and tell me if believe its possible for you to live one single day where you do not break the law. And remember - Intentional or not intentional, a broken law is just that and you can be punished for it.

So stand up and do something( i.e. get a petition) about the laws you feel are unreasonable....there are things you can do before busting out the shotgun.

Cameras prevent FAR more REAL crimes, than catch people doing those benign "crimes"(the punishment for the things you listed are a minor fine).
I have a feeling most of the people against public cameras, don't actually live in a big city....

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

You'd be surprised my friend that posted that video on facebook stated that its shocking the amount of video evidence that isnt used in court cases to prevent or apprehend crimes is staggering!

His friend then commented and said that he had been jumped on a main street in manchester right next to a camera and the camera footage showed the two men accosting him and the video evidence wasnt used and the two men walked !
This also happened again on another occasion when his friend was assaulted and the video evidence wasnt used in court.

Basically the cameras arent there to stop crimes happening to the individual , you will notice that most cameras are only in areas where there are business assets to protect , so that no one can steal from the corporations and businesses and get away with it ! They arent used to protect us in anyway what so ever , just to protect corporate interests!

edit on 15-1-2013 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sapien82

Then it begs to question the real reasons for the Cameras. The Majority of the crimes in the UK should be solved, if its happening on the streets there.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I agree with Rikku:

I would be happier for more cameras in the world, obviously if they don't start to breach in to my own privacy such as the home etc. It helps deter crime and catch other incidents such as 9/11, bombs or the Sandy Hooks situation. All these people complaining about their privacy have Facebook and YouTube accounts where they tell the world when they've been to the bathroom, brought a cat or post pictures of their restaurant dinners with phrases like delicious and tasty. How do you even know it tastes good you took a picture of it before trying it (sorry off track).

If CCTV was around during the start of time, there would be no religion. If I saw the parting of the red sea on Youtube today I would be clicking the thumbs up for the first comment that stated fake.

I also find it ironic that they are uploading to Youtube which is the largest media stage on the internet.
edit on 15/1/2013 by eDrinker because: toned down my language, sorry

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Looks like # may be about to hit the fan!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by eDrinker

the same cameras that could help identify terror attacks but yet the footage is not present to the public as a matter of national security !

Again the cameras arent here to protect you or me or anyone accept the corporations and our corrupt governments

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
All I could see in the video is, how private property was damaged by these criminals.

Put them behind bars, with or without cameras I don't care. God damn punks.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Ok tell me if I'm wrong in anyway

I've been operating CCTV cameras for about 8 years now, no denying it camera technology has improved in a crazy way, from static cameras to moving 360 degrees zooming in and out to face reading cameras. During my time as a CCTV operator I have solved missing person incidents (some being children),I've aided in murder investigations, I've aided in rape investigations, I've aided in theft investigations ranging from stolen vehicles to stolen dogs and I've also tracked the last movements of a suicide victim.

Also I know for a fact I am not asked to use my cameras to spy on certain people, when I sit there watching the cameras I don't use them to follow people for no reason. If I do follow someone and that person seems to be doing nothing out of the ordinary then nothing happens I love onto the next person who may be let's say breaking the law.

I said this in another thread about drone spying .. Lets say your in a busy street lets say Oxford street (that's a popular shopping g street in London), I went there the other day for January sale shopping with the other half. Now there were hundreds of people. So lets say along the street there are 100 cameras (for your info that's not a fact so don't flame me) and lets say there are 500 people in this street. The cameras CANNOT watch everyone, so to think that you are being spied on 24/7 is an absolute joke. The same goes for drones, lets say a drone over a small city has 5 cameras on it, the population of the small town is say 500,000. To assume that this drone is spying on EVERYONE is absurd. It is impossible to watch everyone.

So my personal conclusion as a CCTV operator .. Yes there are alot of cameras but to claim we are being watched is stupid. Also I am operate up to 160 cameras but if I was to sit there, due to having not enough space on our DVRs there are only 32 cameras permanently recording. So not all cameras are actively recording, if you go Ito a shopping centre or a large city centre you might see loads of cameras but not all might be active

Secondly .. Some cameras are not viewed by people. Some cameras are there to be let's say recording an entrance to a building may be recording who is entering and leaving but the camera isn't being viewed by anyone it only gets viewed if someone was to happen in that area.

So finally as many people have said why worry about cameras if you have noting to hide and be next time you have someone attack you, break into your property or steal your car/motorbike/dog or you have a missing loved. Don't go crying to someone and argue that there should be CCTV in place. Some people are far too paranoid

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
What about private cameras?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merinda
What about private cameras?

What do you mean ?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobinB022

Originally posted by PsykoOps
I bet the next person who gets raped or mugged will appreciate this after the assailant(s) get away scott free because police can't track them. What a bunch of idiots.

People have been getting raped/mugged/murdered/etc. before the invention of cameras. I understand what you are implying, however.. with freedom comes other things, not all of which are good. We can't give away our freedoms and rights by allowing them full reign over us, there-by giving away all of our privacy [for principle sake alone our privacy is well deserved] . We really need to be better people and look out for each other, rather than have big brother looking out for us-because honestly, he does not care about our best interests which are at stake here.

People have always been victims of crimes and always continue to be. However cameras are invaluable tool in criminal investigations. Eye witness testimony is really unreliable. If we dismiss cameras because "they dont stop crime" we might as well do that to all new investigative techniques. Fingerprints, dna etc.
Also to other posters who cry about "privacy" and "rights". You dont have privacy out in the public. That argument is moot untill someone tries to install cameras into your homes.
edit on 15/1/2013 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Briles1207
Great Idea, until they are attacked and there is no evidence because they have trashed all the cameras.

Security cameras are there to protect us.

If you have nothing to hide, why are you worried who is watching?

Exactly. Just ask the mother of a child who was abducted but found a few hours later only because there were surveillance cameras on the parking lot what she thinks about it.

And it's not surprising , but it is depressing, that there are some who advocate this kind of childishness.
It reinforces my idea that many people frequenting such sites and advocating "freedom" from cameras are over-pampered teenagers (or very infantile adults) with no concept of reality and maybe too much time on their hands.

People can come here with all sort of fancy conspiratorial theories about "evil" surveillance cameras, but the FACT is they have saved or helped bring justice to many thousands of people all over the world.

In Monaco, for example, a woman can walk around literally bedecked in jewels, alone, in the middle of the night, and nothing will happen to her. There is almost zero crime in Monaco. Why? Because there are cameras everywere.

edit on 15-1-2013 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join