It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Fool System, Time to Save our Children

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I've had difficulties with public schools since I was a kid. Never have been a fan of homework which was my biggest issue. I really wish my parents were smart enough to home school me after middle school.

When I was in the 7th grade I got expelled for something really stupid an got kicked out of summer school (to complete the grade) on the day before the last day of school because like an idiot (again) I lit off fire crackers in the bath room and covered the wall with toilet paper wads. So they send me to a small school with only 20 or 25 kids in attendance and they passed everyone even if you got all Fs which happened while I was there. I think that was the no child left behind thing Bush gave us.

So for high school I went to a trade school and I ended up struggling there too (special ed classes too) and stayed back twice because I dropped out twice. Ended up spending 6 years in high school and never made it out. Couldn't handle just sitting in a class room for what felt like ever because the teachers just were not fun and monotone, my peers would think it's cool to be idiots and everyone would think it was too. My graduating class also ended up having half their teachers retire but I stayed back the previous year so I missed easy street to graduation and ended up with new teachers who had to show they were worth of the positions. It was hell!
My friends made it worse by bragging how all they had to do was watch movies.

I still haven't gotten a GED but I lucked out. I love computers and spend a lot of time on them and when I was a kid and even told my parents I would make money on them. They all told me it's not possible and I'd have to get a job being a laborer like my grandfather who had the most insane work ethic of anyone I've ever known. He worked endless hours for free. I unfortunately do not have these genes, well maybe a little
, tried working with him on side jobs he'd do for the people around town and that just wasn't for me.

So I had schools and my parents both trying to tell me what I should do. Everything I wanted to do was 'wrong' and my parents had no problem telling me and even taking my computer away so I couldn't make money online because they thought it was illegal. I believe this is a problem with a lot of parents. They try to force Jr to be like them and make life horrible if they want to do what they want all while telling them they can be whatever they want when they grow up even the president. Now they're asking me for money and I'm not even 25 yet. Won't into that much though.

Public schools do not teach anything except how to be polite within groups and how to hand in work when told to. They are preparing you to work for a corporation or to take orders and be a soldier. Encourage your kids to think about being self employed or starting their own company when they get older. Every generation after mine is getting more and more fluent with computers which is BIG BUSINESS. Tons of huge companies have multi million advertising budgets and you can get a small piece of that all you need is a website with related content to the advertisements and they will give you cash for some clicks brought to them sometimes even sales/leads.

There is literally hundreds of thousands of dollars even millions at these kids fingertips and they waste their time on Facebook or trying to "work their way up" at a job that will be automated in a few years.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by HenryNorris
reply to post by smyleegrl

I blame teachers.

You are full of excuses. Like how you try to blame low socio economic families for having dumb children because they dont value education. I find that offensive.

I have also seen some of your posts where you say you do things like make children walk laps as punishment.

What else do you do? Make them stand with their nose on a wall? Yell/raise your voice at them?

I do not understand why people are happy to allow these so called 'teachers' ( who are full of themselves btw ) to yell at our children.

The wrong people are teachers Im afraid. We need to raise teacher standards and pay to attract better people to this important job.

edit- smyleegirl blames poor parents. Its not smyleegirls fault, its those dumb poor people that dont care about their children. Imagine sending your child to spend time this this person 5 days a week. It is your Union that is to blame smyleegirl. Teachers Unions and 'teachers' that look for excuses.
edit on 14-1-2013 by HenryNorris because: (no reason given)

Try retreading my post without the chip on your shoulder.

Whether you like it or not, socio-economics plays a part in education. Just as it does in every aspect of life. When I have time, after work, I'll link some of those studies.

I've taught in "richer" areas, and to deny the difference is to embrace ignorance. So why do I teach where I do? Because I care, about the kids and the future of education.

And exactly where in my post did I call anyone "dumb?" Please show me.

As for walking laps, I would love to hear how you would deal with children throwing pencils and crayons. Please, I want to know. Because if you truly have a better idea, then I'm willing to listen.

I'd love to invite you to visit my classroom. Any chance you're near NC?
edit on 15-1-2013 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
The education system today is based on fear and guilt based manipulation and left brained indoctrination. You are taught to take information, hold it, then regurgitate it back on to the exam paper and you are graded on how acceptable or unacceptable you are based on how well you can do this.

In philosophy class we didn't learn about real subject matter, we learned the names and dates of great philosophers, in religion class we didn't learn anything about spirituality or god, we learned the names and dates of saints and prophets etc.

The social aspect is horrible as well, it is 100% based on labels and social status and our kids are being thrown in with the most aggressive gangster types, then parents are completely shocked when their 15 year old daughter goes from watching Disney movies to doing drugs and getting abortions. It's a sad state.

edit on 15-1-2013 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by robodrag0n
Mitsu Kaku was right when he said that schools crush curiosity, but I don't believe it manifests in conformity, but in rebellion.

Like Unity said, you're a bright kid. People like you show hope for the future, but I have to disagree with that statement above. When you kill the natural curiosity that all people start with as children you are fostering conformity among the majority of people. When you don't care about anything else aside from what you've been given, you conform. You don't seem to be in the majority so you would rebel. As a matter of fact you do, but you do it in a constructive way by pushing yourself to learn more. But I'm sure you know that most people aren't like you. If you don't believe that, re-read your own post.

Let's face it, the only difference between me, and the ill-inspired teenagers in normal classes, is that I work for my future.

The only difference. Your words. That tells me that you don't really think that's a big deal. I may be wrong in that assumption, but I doubt it. You're still in high school so you probably haven't realized this yet, but in time you'll see how associating with people like that, who don't work for their future, can hold you back. I'm sure you don't associate with them much now but that may be because you're just in a different "circle" then they are and you don't fully realize WHY you don't associate with them.

Give it 5 years or so and you'll begin to realize just how much better you are from them. When some people realize this fact of life about themselves though, they stop working for their future like you're doing now ( working that is) and acquire that "high and mighty" attitude. In my opinion that attitude is only worth the the amount of work you're still putting into your future. In other words, some people stop working to better themselves when they realize they're better than most people. You do that and not only will you not fit in with the people you've worked hard to be above, but you won't fit in with the people you claim to be able to either. That fence is a lonely place to be.

You're in the minority kid. You probably always will be so do yourself a favor and don't minimize the importance of that. Don't associate with people who don't work as hard as you so you can naturally gravitate towards those who do. Have the confidence that comes with all that, associate with people who will foster that confidence, and you'll do just fine. Every now and then you're going to see the importance of a "holier than thou" attitude. It's needed to keep that distance between you and the people who never did work as hard as you. If they can't see that, tough. Just make sure you do everything in your power to keep that attitude justified. Talk is cheap. Make sure there's some meat on that bone.

In my opinion, this is what public schools make hard for teenagers. There's a minority of people out there, like you, who are better then the system they're in. Remember that we have no choice with the life we're given. We do have a choice in how we best utilize that life, and public schools don't typically foster a full utilization of personal priorities. They do their best, but more and more you see their priority as keeping the seats warm so they can acquire more federal funding so they can stay in business. When I was in school it wasn't like this to the extent it is now. People seemed to care more and this is why I'm on the home-schooling side of the fence.

One of these days you may look back and wonder why you were singing the praises of a system that wasn't reciprocating. Make it easy for yourself, if you haven't already, and don't take too much stock in the public school system. If they have what you need, by all means use it to your advantage. Education is education regardless of where you get it, as long as it's tailored to what you personally need. Remember that what I'm posting right now is based on what you posted, and what you said gives me the impression that you're ahead of your peers simply because of your attitude of wanting to be better. Take that attitude you have right now and make that the justification to feel that you're above the majority. Because the fact of the matter is, you are. But the trick is that you have to keep working to better yourself at all times.

Be hard on yourself, care about yourself, and you'll look back someday and realize that no one else really did anyway. At least not on the level that you personally needed.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Well I have mixed feelings about public school today..I have 3 children, 1 is in high school,1 is is middle school, and one is just beginning elementary. My opinion varies not by the school necessarily but by the teacher...

My oldest - She has had some amazing teachers. She has dreams of being a writer and amazingly she was put in a class with this English teacher who has been nothing but an asset to her..She helped my daughter tremendously and still keeps in touch with her today(Although the teacher has QUIT teaching and has taken a job in publishing field)Last year she had a younger English teacher and he was horrible he was one of those "If you don't agree with me then you are wrong teachers" she took a major self-esteem hit.So this is when I began extra-educating my kids as I call it. When they come home we talk about what they were "taught" and what the "reality" out there is..Her math teacher this year is a joke, I do not even think she knows what she is doing...

My middle child has had a rough road.In kindergarten his teacher literally told me "He knows to much, I have nothing to teach him.I must spend my time with other kids." Then 2 months later she tried to tell me he was ADHD and I needed to have him tested immediately..Did I? Heck NO!! She she continued to tell me that I WAS WRONG! So next was trying to tell me he had allergy problems and to take him to an allergist he needed to be medicated..Then came the huge blow-out -- my husband and I had taken out kids to a local Basketball game and were out til 1130pm so we didn't send him the next day.So I get a phone call I need to meet with the teacher and the school shrink. She was going to turn me into Child Services because my son told her that he was absent cause he slept in a car the night before!!(She knew perfectly well we had a home) I was ticked--I explained were were out late and I simply told my kids to try to sleep in the car on the way home...She was horrible...Needless to say come first grade his new teacher told me there was nothing wrong with my son,and that whoever suggested he had ADHD was crazy..Fast forward to 4th grade and they ended up giving my son the COGAT test because they thought he was "gifted" and his teacher basically told me she "Ran out of work for him to do"so she was "having him do my work" That's right she passed off her work to my son...Correcting papers, doing the signboards whatever she could find...Then he went to advanced classes in middle school and that was a joke..
He still struggles with school because he has a hard time agreeing with his teacher and loves to start class debates when the teachers feel its inappropriate..He has also been in trouble for telling the teachers they are wrong in front of the class, they feel he should talk to them privately..And here is where I tell him he was either wrong or right depending on the situation and how it was handled, I don't tolerate crap from my kids and I sure in the hell dont kiss their butts but I do support them when I feel their right.

My youngest hasn't had a problem though she had a real tough kindergarten teacher who expected A LOT from his students and taught them a lot I liked that.

But then their school district switched to a making all schools international baccalaureate, not just high school..
So we moved to a small town in the country..

There is school now is ok.. They have some really great teachers and again some horrible ones who I don't even know how they ended up there.. So i tend to base my decisions on teachers not the district as a whole..Although I do know around here when the schools tend to due stupid crap and make stupid rules its BECAUSE OF THE PARENTS...There were a lot of well-to-do parents who LITERALLY walked their middle school kids to THE DOOR, some even holding their kids HANDS, and they thought their kids could do know wrong and let the whole administration know it and that they would bury the school if the said otherwise...Then there were the parents of the poor kids who threw a fit thinking they were being discriminated against cause they were poor!Making for a mess of stupid rules to stop crud before it happened so the didn't have to deal with the parents.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

You're right.

I'm now doing my second degree because my first degree didn't get me a job.. mean while all my friends who became electricians, welders, boiler makers and builders are making a motsa. In hind site i wish I had gotten a trade and then gone to uni later (i don't regret uni, studied arts and now law, very interesting and enlightening, however I'm broke.. and the job market aint looking to hot for lawyers).
Jean Jaques Rousseau wrote a book called 'emile' about the best education.. part of it was that one should learn a trade and then go on to learn the the arts and sciences - the rationale being that you have a trade to fall back on when demand aint so hot for academics.. he claimed this to be the Swiss way, and pointed out that a watch maker in England was a watch maker, but a watch maker in Switzerland was also a philosopher, scientist, musician and politician.

The book also spoke about the importance of freedom in the child's education, and that the child must learn from experience. Modern psychology now supports a lot of his thesis.

I agree that public schools are a sham. I went to one, hated it. I recall calling the teacher out about the fallacies and inconsistencies in what they were saying and getting in trouble. They certainly don't seem to want a population who can critically think.
If I ever have kids I will private school or home school.. if I can afford.

This dumbing down of the populace leads to a situation where the majority of the national body politic has literally suffered from development retardation - they are stupid and think that knowledge comes from being told something by authority instead of through deduction and induction.

Schools a governed by draconian authoritarianism that would be tolerated no where else except maybe the home. Kids are told when they can talk, they have to ask to use the toilet, they have to eat according to a bell, all learn the exact same mundane and useless facts, do what they are told without question ("don't talk back"), wear a uniform (where i come from, dunno about the states), sing the anthem and school motto (lol).

We are told that if we do poorly at school we will be forever phucked. This thankfully is not true, infact there are many who have done very well that left school and many more who are not phucked and doing much better than those who did well in school and were obedient.

this is brave new world like stuff when you think about it.. It seems normal when you are at school but when you reflect, you realize it was kind of sick.. it was an 'education camp', kind of like a 're-education camp', but for the first time. Indoctrination factories, conditioning poor souls to do as they are told and not what their hearts desire. Is it any wonder so many are mentally ill? why so many turn to drugs and booze?

The fact that a parent can get in legal trouble if they do not send their kids to school is insane. Effectively, what that means is 'surrender your child to us for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, so that we may indoctrinate them with our world view. If you don't we will confiscate your kids / fine you / other wise compel you'. Sure kids can be home schooled in most jurisdictions without many issues, but there is unfortunately the economic reality that many are too time poor to do this. I think that is adodgy excuse - you could teach your child more than the public syllabubs in 2 hours and evening. IE, you can teach much more efficiently than schools. I don't have any proof, but upon my reckoning, I think you could teach a child primary school and highschool maths in 2 or 3 years of a couple of hours a night a couple of nights a week.. Our youths are wasted staring at a black bored, learning things we have no natural inclination to learn.

In regards to the mental illness - I think kids are naturally unsuited to today's school systems, so they act out, this is labelled 'adhd', and the kid is put on drugs so his natural yearnings are covered up. The child becomes a learning robot. Anyone who has ever had some kind of amphetamine and read a book or browsed the internet will know what I mean (not that I have.. ).

My friend is kind of stupid and she has a cat in her tiny apartment. The cat clearly hates life there because it wants to catch birds and play in the grass. As such it meows a lot and runs around making a general ruckus.. That is until she went to the vet and the cat was diagnosed with 'cat anxiety' and given cat valium (real valium in low dose). This is no word of a lie. This sitiuation is directly analogous to school kids

Scen 1- Kid doesn't want to do what he is told, so give him drug that makes him learn and do as he is told.

scen 2 - Cat is making too much noise, so give something to make it quiet.

BOTH scenarios: Something isn't doing what you want it to do, so drug it to gain compliance.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by misfit312
Well I have mixed feelings about public school today..I have 3 children, 1 is in high school,1 is is middle school, and one is just beginning elementary. My opinion varies not by the school necessarily but by the teacher...

My oldest - She has had some amazing teachers. She has dreams of being a writer and amazingly she was put in a class with this English teacher who has been nothing but an asset to her..She helped my daughter tremendously and still keeps in touch with her today(Although the teacher has QUIT teaching and has taken a job in publishing field)Last year she had a younger English teacher and he was horrible he was one of those "If you don't agree with me then you are wrong teachers" she took a major self-esteem hit.So this is when I began extra-educating my kids as I call it. When they come home we talk about what they were "taught" and what the "reality" out there is..Her math teacher this year is a joke, I do not even think she knows what she is doing...

My middle child has had a rough road.In kindergarten his teacher literally told me "He knows to much, I have nothing to teach him.I must spend my time with other kids." Then 2 months later she tried to tell me he was ADHD and I needed to have him tested immediately..Did I? Heck NO!! She she continued to tell me that I WAS WRONG! So next was trying to tell me he had allergy problems and to take him to an allergist he needed to be medicated..Then came the huge blow-out -- my husband and I had taken out kids to a local Basketball game and were out til 1130pm so we didn't send him the next day.So I get a phone call I need to meet with the teacher and the school shrink. She was going to turn me into Child Services because my son told her that he was absent cause he slept in a car the night before!!(She knew perfectly well we had a home) I was ticked--I explained were were out late and I simply told my kids to try to sleep in the car on the way home...She was horrible...Needless to say come first grade his new teacher told me there was nothing wrong with my son,and that whoever suggested he had ADHD was crazy..Fast forward to 4th grade and they ended up giving my son the COGAT test because they thought he was "gifted" and his teacher basically told me she "Ran out of work for him to do"so she was "having him do my work" That's right she passed off her work to my son...Correcting papers, doing the signboards whatever she could find...Then he went to advanced classes in middle school and that was a joke..
He still struggles with school because he has a hard time agreeing with his teacher and loves to start class debates when the teachers feel its inappropriate..He has also been in trouble for telling the teachers they are wrong in front of the class, they feel he should talk to them privately..And here is where I tell him he was either wrong or right depending on the situation and how it was handled, I don't tolerate crap from my kids and I sure in the hell dont kiss their butts but I do support them when I feel their right.

Hey misfit. Just read you post. You middle child sounds a bit like my self when I was his age. honestly, if you can, find a school that has other talented kids, eg, a selective school (i don't know if u have them) or a decent private school with like minded parents. Other wise home school. If neither are an option, that sucks but I understand. But if you think its financially viable, do it. dirve a cheap car and skip beer or whatever, just get him a real education or his talent could be wasted. International Bac is very good from what I know, much closer to education rather than indoctrination from waht i know..
Oh and if he gets to high school and still gets in trouble with teachers etc, he will be hating it by then. You should offer to him and explain to him that he can leave school and its not the end of the world. He can get a trade, or a job doing something he's interested, make some cash, then go to uni / college later if he is so inclined. - there are avenues.

If I had my time again, I would of left high school after say year 10 and gotten a trade, made, made some cash, and gone to uni and still be at a similar state in my life but with a trade under my belt. Hind site is 20/20 though.

High school was 6 wasted years of my life. I say left after year 10 because that's when we're legally allowed. But I know some people who left school when they were 8 years old and did just fine. I had a history lecturer who despite leaving school when he was 12 became a prominent academic, builder and local politician.

edit on 15-1-2013 by bigdohbeatdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by HenryNorris

I blame teachers.

You are full of excuses. Like how you try to blame low socio economic families for having dumb children because they dont value education. I find that offensive.

I have also seen some of your posts where you say you do things like make children walk laps as punishment.

What else do you do? Make them stand with their nose on a wall? Yell/raise your voice at them?

I do not understand why people are happy to allow these so called 'teachers' ( who are full of themselves btw ) to yell at our children.

The wrong people are teachers Im afraid. We need to raise teacher standards and pay to attract better people to this important job.

edit- smyleegirl blames poor parents. Its not smyleegirls fault, its those dumb poor people that dont care about their children. Imagine sending your child to spend time this this person 5 days a week. It is your Union that is to blame smyleegirl. Teachers Unions and 'teachers' that look for excuses.
edit on 14-1-2013 by HenryNorris because: (no reason given)

Try retreading my post without the chip on your shoulder.

Whether you like it or not, socio-economics plays a part in education. Just as it does in every aspect of life. When I have time, after work, I'll link some of those studies.

I've taught in "richer" areas, and to deny the difference is to embrace ignorance. So why do I teach where I do? Because I care, about the kids and the future of education.

And exactly where in my post did I call anyone "dumb?" Please show me.

As for walking laps, I would love to hear how you would deal with children throwing pencils and crayons. Please, I want to know. Because if you truly have a better idea, then I'm willing to listen.

I don't think its directly the teachers fault. I believe Most teachers want to truly do the best by childeren, however it is the entire educaitonal system - ie it is the teacher's training, the syllabus, and bad policy that is to blame. Teachers try their best (in Australia any way) to make the ssytem better, they go on strikes and take other industrial action to try and compel serious issues to be resolved, but considering they need to get paid, they mostly fail.

most class sizes here have 30 kids in a room. That is ridiculous 30 kids staring at the black board or copying things on a stencil! What BS!

BRING BACK THE SOCRATIC METHOD TO SCHOOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Picture Alex Jones yelling) YARRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by drmeola
Most colleges and universities in America, the student body is made up of nearly 80 percent of home schooled children as the general graduating public simple can NOT pass the entrance exams for these higher learning institutions.

Can you provide documentation on this claim, it seems absurdly high, and it doesn't pass the smell test. Figures I have found indicate it is closer to 1-2% for most campuses. Estimates are that 3% of children are home schooled yet you are claiming they make up 80% of the college student body? Am I misunderstanding your claim?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by bigdohbeatdown

I'm sorry what is the Socratic Method? Please explain with a statement not a link.
I SAW how the schools changed from the 60s to the mid 70s.I failed the second grade because of a "math block" that has hamstrung my life.
They stopped teaching me and brought in prepackaged programs to fit all. From what I have seen only gifted students have this tutelage to succeed,never mind the arts.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ohhhh

Hi ohhhh,

I never trust statistics to be honest and do my own research and investigations as much as possible, to those means having relatives teaching in the university (more then one over the years) have asked him about the student body on that specific question.

After about 6 months he came back to me after speaking to his students and others around campus had concluded that yes the student body is made up of the greatest percent of home schooled or other form of education and found that only a small amount of students went to public school.

Remember this is higher education, Universities and not community colleges, as those do have a much greater student body of public schooled children.

Sorry for any misunderstanding as I did include in that comment (colleges), the community colleges are more so about money in my opinion for when I was attending there were students taken as they should required courses before entering into the next stage of there majors. Example: before taken anatomy and physiology I was to have taken a course in chemistry. I also was taken math courses as well and my teacher was great and taught all levels of mathematics from basic to advanced, since I had lots of free time most of which I spent in the science lab was able to sit in on some of her other classes. The one class was basic math, didn’t realize how basic she was teaching these high school students how to do general problems that should have been learned by 4th grade. I couldn’t believe it and she said think this is bad she has one class level that’s even below this level but that is more for adults and includes such basics as how to fill out a check from your checking account. Frankly after that day became so sickened with sadness for these teens I couldn’t even sit in on any more of those classes, but was glad they were now getting what they should have gotten a long time ago.

edit on 15-1-2013 by drmeola because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
There is so much in this video the only comment I can come up with is WOW, it covers more then just the topic of education but so much more.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

I was in one of the best districts in the nation.

They did NOT teach critical thinking at all. They taught route memorization.

The system is a sham. Sorry you bought into it.

Must be hell for you.

Nope, I love my job.

There are bad teachers, teachers who should not be teaching. No doubt about it. And lots of children do better in a more private environment.

I didn't "buy into" anything. I am vested in doing my best to teach the children under my care. Its a job I take seriously.

My motto: if the students believe everything I say, then I haven't done my job.

Well, you sound like a wonderful teacher and that's a real complement coming from me. I homeschooled my son for four years and he is now a senior in high school. I honestly fail to see why so many people look upon home schoolers as socially awkward, because those skills are taught at home from a young age. The ones I know are already Physics majors and quite verbose in a crowd, lol. I think, if a homeschooler is unsociable, it reflects on the parents. It seems to me that the added vocabulary learned in a public school setting isn't always preferable.

I believe that teachers are more aware that it's important for students to have critical thinking skills. My daughter's history teacher would give her extra information that wasn't taught in history books. Unfortunately, it's still indoctrination when all children are taught from a set curriculum that cannot be veered from, but I still see a change in teachers wanting their students to think on their own.

I remember my history teacher in eighth grade. It was so boring, because each student had to read a couple paragraphs out loud from the lesson and then on to the next student...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It was like this every day! In high school I had a history teacher that only gave essays for tests and we had three questions. He made history come alive.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I know you weren't speaking to me, but if I ever make it out to that neck of the woods I'd like to take you up on that offer. You seem to be one of those rare teachers who keep caring. I've heard of so many instances where people start out teaching because they genuinely love to do it, but then stop caring so much because the odds are so stacked against them. You don't seem that type. You just come across a very genuine person and that's rare these days. What makes it more impressive is that you transfer that positive vibe onto children, in spite of what you've been through in your past. If we had more teachers like the kind you seem to be, we wouldn't have to have such a need for home-schooling.

Positive things like this I like to see in person.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZASHTO
......the system would naturally alienate home schoolers to the point where they could only make a living being self employed wouldn't it?.....

What's wrong with that? I'd rather my child be self supporting than to spend a single minute working for someone else...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

There is so much in this video the only comment I can come up with is WOW, it covers more then just the topic of education but so much more.

Agreed. This is a documentary that should be viral, I would suggest emailing it out to friends and teachers at your local schools to see what they think and give them a bit more insight on the system they are perpetuating.
edit on 15-1-2013 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

A university degree is yes more and more of an important piece of paper to have, and for that fact alone home schooling is the way to go. Most colleges and universities in America, the student body is made up of nearly 80 percent of home schooled children as the general graduating public simple can NOT pass the entrance exams for these higher learning institutions.

Without coraboration I don't believe that 80% number in the least.

However, I do agree that Colleges and Universities do like alternet primary and secondary schooled students because they do not need to be told what to do or think.

My daughter spent 14 years at a Waldorf school and chose not to go to University (though accepted at all she applied to) because she wanted to be in charge of her own education. She is now 24, her friends are out of college and having trouble finding a job - she when to work (overseas) six weeks out of school and currently works several different jobs at much better pay then her classmates, runs a small business while she educates herself and learns from those she works for. It's working for her. She has stated that yes many COMPANIES won't talk to you without a degree but she doesn't want to work for anyone that puts a piece of paper ahead of ability and experience.

My Father never graduated high school, brilliant man. He was drafted in WWII and trained in the army - started a private and ended a Colonel. He then when on to found and direct a management department for the State University all without a degree, he even taught classes in the management school on occassion.

Me I don't have a degree either - but love school and whenever I can afford it I take the best classes I can. I have course work in Music, Mathematics, Computer Science, Child Development and Psychology officially. Get interested in new subjects and jump. That doesn't include the other subjects I study on my own or at trade schools.

From my parents I learned the one thing that counts - a love of learning forever and to check my sources

Unfortunately, I don't see either being taught in the public schools - or most private schools.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

Didn’t take the time to read through all of the posts, sorry.

Social skill is as important as education. Send your kids to public school. It’s the responsibility of the parent(s) to make sure the child assimilates the information properly.
School(ing) never stops.

My daughter is 8 and asked me this a few weeks ago…
“Daddy, Josh’s daddy says we never went to the moon. Did we?”
“Yes, sweetheart, we did. Let me explain how we did it….”

Blaming the Public School System is an easy cop-out for lazy parents. Using the Public School System as the only educational device is a travesty.

You’re smart enough to post a few videos berating the good men and women who do their best, with what their given. Why not post something about a parent doing good? Bad news is what gets attention, so YOU’VE BEEN TOUGHT.

edit on 16-1-2013 by Strattos because: Spelling.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

reply to post by ohhhh

Hi ohhhh,

I never trust statistics to be honest and do my own research and investigations as much as possible, to those means having relatives teaching in the university (more then one over the years) have asked him about the student body on that specific question.

After about 6 months he came back to me after speaking to his students and others around campus had concluded that yes the student body is made up of the greatest percent of home schooled or other form of education and found that only a small amount of students went to public school.

Remember this is higher education, Universities and not community colleges, as those do have a much greater student body of public schooled children.

edit on 15-1-2013 by drmeola because: (no reason given)

Your 80% number still doesn't work. The sample set you are basing that on is statistically insignificant. in 2009 there were approximately 1.8 Million being home schooled, that is spread across ages 5 through ~18,17,16 whatever it may be when they reach the equivalence of a high school graduate, assuming a roughly equal distribution from ages 5 through 16 that is roughly 163,000 students per grade. Now making more assumptions (I know not advised) you take 4 years worth of home schooled graduates at 163k a year, ( I am not taking into account other increases but it doesn't really matter) , that is 652,000 home schooled kids in Universities that aren't community college. That puts your total college population at 815,000 total students.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Hi smyleegrl,

I agree with your comment here:

However, a good teacher doesn't teach from a textbook. Its there as a reference tool only. I know a lot of teachers, especially the older ones, do use the book. But in an ideal world that wouldn't be the case.

I am curious if you are concerned about the effects of the standardized tests? Many teachers have expressed outrage that the necessity for a school to score highly on these test, in order to receive funding, has made it so teachers are forced to spend a significant portion of the year doing nothing but teaching from the text book. They believe that they are no longer teaching anything but the ability to recite on demand.Do you believe this to be the case?

Also what are your thoughts on the schools' role in the physical deterioration of children over the last several decades? This is another issue teachers have expressed outrage over. Do you also believe that the lack of physical activity and nutrition while the child is in the schools' care is to the detriment of the child?
edit on 16-1-2013 by harvib because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join