It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Fool System, Time to Save our Children

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by drmeola
reply to post by resoe26

Hi resoe26,

That is a personal choice do the research on your chosen courses of study and determines if in the end the cost of the degree will yield you a profit? Only you can answer that for yourself.

Thing is, nothing that yeilds a great profit quite interests me. Any degree that I take that would yeild a good profit, I know that in the long run of that career I'd be unhappy, like most Americans.
I think it is a bit sad. I see many people work jobs they hate for thier entire life just so they can have some extra money but yet they HATE thier job.

Can't do much with an Art degree anymore now in days. Or writing huh?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26
So wait, is it worth it now in days to go to college??

can anyone answer this question for me before I put myself in a tuition debt?

You can't expect someone to answer that with a simple yes or no. The answer is: it depends.

I'll let ya chew on something. What is the value of something that everyone has? Very little.

You have more and more people attending colleges, and graduating with very little real world application of their degree into the job market.

Colleges are for-profit institutions. It's a business. They lower their standards for entrance, and more monies pour in.

I would say that unless you have exceptions talent, entering as an art major is risky. Unless you have a ton of monies to blow for little to no good reason, entering into non-performing arts majors is pretty much useless.

When it comes to the sciences, it tends to make sense. We need more scientists and engineers. If you can make it through one of the programs with at least a bachelors, it's probably worth it.

If you go into a professional graduate program, it may be worth it. Doctors, Lawyers, Nurses, Dentists, and Pharmacists are all in high demand, and tend to pay well. I think those are worth it.

Here's something else to chew on:

The sub-prime loan crisis which popped it's bubble back in 06-07 was valued at 1.3T.

The student debt crisis is currently valued roughly 1T, and adding ~50 billion to that total each month.

That means a day of reckoning will happen, not only financially/economically for this country, but it will lead to a change in perspective of the value of these degrees, and the system as a whole.

That day of reckoning is likely to be had later this year, or sometime next year.

It used to be you could get an entry level job with a HS diploma. Then it became an associates degree for the same position. Now it's becoming a bachelors. We're talking low paying jobs here, with an individual who has likely racked up +10K in debt to pay off with compounding interest rates.

These are simply things for you to weigh your decision with. Please choose wisely. I'd say if you can enter the job market and prove yourself without a degree, do it. If you can't do that, then try for a graduate program in the sciences, or medical field. If I were to do it all over, I would have focused on attaining a PharmD to become a pharmacist. They pay well, and it's a fairly easy job to handle.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

you make a very good point

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

The charter school system in my area was a JOKE!! You had an open book, and a packet to finish to earn credits. I went to the charter school for 3 days before being too disgusted to go back.

In those three days, I completed 3 packets and apparently earned credit for each course. If I would have stayed with it, it seems I would have earned my diploma by the end of the semester. The coursework seemed meant for 5th graders, and I was a junior.

I got my GED, attended college a year early at the highest ranked community college in the nation at the time, and was thoroughly disappointed and dropped out.

I'm starting a company this summer. Autodidacts don't need to be schooled.
edit on 14-1-2013 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Hi unityemissions,

Yes I did similar, was so advanced beyond what the school could offer I got out by 16 had already taken two years of pre-law, took my GED at a time before they offered state diplomas which I got several years later so officially I am a high school grad, after my short stay in the Army went into trucking, then other trade schools. All this while working a full time job in the plumbing trade after school when I was 14, had my own roof and siding business as well for a time, but trucking was always my true passion.

To add I also attended college and studied the life sciences thinking I would get into working for the CDC, instead changed my major to the business side of medicine but turns out I do not do well with office politics and went back to trucking.

The point being I have never wanted for nothing as I had many tools to fall back on to make a living doing the things I enjoyed, most people today the biggest problem and why both parents have to work ext…simple is we live in a time of consumption or consumerism and living beyond our means with butt loads of debt forcing us to spend more time away from our kids just to pay for what we want instead of what we need.

The keeping up with the Jones type of thing.

I am under 50 retired do to injuries that I receive no income for such as SS ext…we are a family of 5 one parent always stayed home as the other worked today my wife of 15 plus years went back to the work force and I am the stay at home parent, we have all the goodies if you will such as the large flat screen TV, three different types of video game systems, two cars and a small but comfortable house, we do all this debt free except for the small amount still owed on the house for under 30K a year.
The point is you can do it, but you have to want to do it, and your only limited by your own actions and choices.

edit on 14-1-2013 by drmeola because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Awesome, good for you, (and the children in your care) Now if all teachers thought,cared like you we would be a better society. Alas that will not happen.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by AccessDenied

Agreed.

They will be looked down on just like the anti-vax crowd.

It will be something like, "if you don't have faith in the public school system to teach your child, how can anyone expect you to be a responsible parent who is capable of teaching your own".

Some sort of ass-backwards idiocy as they push on the anti-vax wisemen.

Watch, being anti-public school system will be codified in the DSM as a disorder, and then it'll be looked at as a "red-flag" for being a "domestic terrorist threat".

Freaking ridiculous.
edit on 14-1-2013 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

I had to respond to this

Yes, there are already problems. My middle daughters Dr and transplant team look down on us due to homeschooling and ask invasive questions. Unfortunately for them Im not the average home schooler.

Long story, we moved and the public school was almost 2 yrs behind their previous one in another state, private school here was a dumping ground due to vouchers and "scholarships", our middle daughter was dying ( literally) and couldn't attend school.. then had a liver transplant with serious complications.. we home schooled all the kids. If a parent is willing to make the sacrifices to home school, you can do it. For us we use other curriculum and spend several thousand a year for it. We have class year around. Our kids go to violin lessons, phys ed is through our gym and private classes, we have a home school co-op with other families and field trips are large groups and cultural exposure field trips are also group events. My daughters are very popular in town and have a lively social life. My oldest is gifted ( in college now) and took many classes even in middle and high school at the local college along with the home school curriculum. NO school could handle giving her what she needed as far as academic stimulation. Certainly not these public schools.

The nonsense I read here and elsewhere concerning home schooled kids being "socially awkward" is just that ... NONSENSE. If youre teaching your child basket weaving and home school for your own convenience then yes, youre going to have a socially backward non-contributing adult. There are deep sacrifices for a family who decides to do this and do it right. Ours was my income.. I was an RN with a Masters on the side and made good money. Materialism takes a back seat when you're considering your child(ren)'s futures, but not everyone can sacrifice like this. Families are pressed these days. Now many times 2 incomes are a necessity and not due to living beyond one's means. All you can do is educate at home as well. We are churning out illiterates here at our high schools and no one seems to care enough to make a stink. We have participation points in mathematics class work and the kids cant even pass tests. Our schools are violent and ridiculous.

Parents have to go the extra mile here if they want their kids to actually have the tools to thrive.. and most of the parents don't have the skills themselves. THESE are the kids that are the product of our educational system and poor parenting here that we deal with day and night. I worked at our prosecuting atty's office for several years and ran our "crime stoppers" type of program in town. I just quit a few weeks ago as I am fed up.. completely. I dealt with the products of our educational system, their parents, and can tell you... here in my area we need a serious knot yanked in some tails. Mainly in our education system and teachers need to get with the program. When we reward schools with money and awards for not reporting assaults, allowing illiterates to graduate, glossing over behavioral problems, and keeping chairs warm fir a buck... we have a problem. These problems are the ones who are committing adult crimes and are definitely the socially awkward young adults even with that glorious public school education and/or diploma.

( forgive my fast nutshell post.. there is a LOT more to this.. but I know how walls of text are disregarded here.
)
edit on 14-1-2013 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Hi Advantage,

Great post, thumbs up wish I could give you more then one star, I have similar issues with walls of text as you might have realized and often I’m asked to short them, keep up the great work and look forward to reading more of your postings.

Thank you

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ZASHTO

Homeschoolers get into college and into jobs fairly easily, actually. Perhaps you should check your facts?

If you want truly educated, intelligent children, you need to homeschool. If you don't care, then public or private school will work.
edit on 14-1-2013 by cetaphobic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Great post op, I started home schooling my two kids this year for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. Here is a David Icke video that makes some good points about the school system. You can skip to the part about school's at the 2:00 min mark, but the whole video is pretty interesting.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I blame teachers.

You are full of excuses. Like how you try to blame low socio economic families for having dumb children because they dont value education. I find that offensive.

I have also seen some of your posts where you say you do things like make children walk laps as punishment.

What else do you do? Make them stand with their nose on a wall? Yell/raise your voice at them?

I do not understand why people are happy to allow these so called 'teachers' ( who are full of themselves btw ) to yell at our children.

The wrong people are teachers Im afraid. We need to raise teacher standards and pay to attract better people to this important job.

edit- smyleegirl blames poor parents. Its not smyleegirls fault, its those dumb poor people that dont care about their children. Imagine sending your child to spend time this this person 5 days a week. It is your Union that is to blame smyleegirl. Teachers Unions and 'teachers' that look for excuses.
edit on 14-1-2013 by HenryNorris because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I agree with your post completely! I am a single mom who home schools and works. Where there's a will there's a way. It's hard to juggle but at the end of the day I know I'm making the right decision for my family. It's not for everyone but it works for me. I keep my son socially involved in other activities like martial arts and local art classes to ensure he interacts with his peers. Home schooling also allows me to keep him on an organic diet and I don't have to worry about trouble from the school relating to vaccinations. I am also lucky to have a supportive family who helps me watch him during my work hours. It truly can be done if you want it bad enough!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Thanks for those OP,
I've been talking about home schooling for awhile...trying to convince my wife of the benefits etc..

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The above thread is on testing of the Anthrax vaccine, have not totally investigate the information within but found this video link and read the comments on youtube about it and thought I would share it here: Vaccines that schools require to attend is just one of the many reasons to get out, there are tons of Vaccines threads around ATS and if this is a concern to you then please do the research to help you make up your own mind.

vaccinerights.com...

At the above link you will find all the help you may need to opt out of these and still attend a public school if that is your intent legally and without question from the establishment.

Thank you,

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Private school is just as bad.......

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Public schooling failed when they stopped teaching the individual and started teaching to pass tests.www.deliberatedumbingdown.com...
If you do home school don't isolate your kid,I known a kid like that in Art Institute school I'm in.He responds to questions like a 5 year old.I guess his parents just threw him in here.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Yes you are right about public school being the beginning of the lions den. There they instill the doors for the brain washing control program. You learn things like keep your mouth shut. Follow the crowed even if you dont agree or be cast aside. Obey all those above you. You also learn to desire favoritism at the expense of self. All tools. Now to protect our children teach them to think for self. Also teach them hypnotizim. And how to detect it and over come it. I am talking from experience. There walking around hypnotizing people in mass. They have tryed it on me. Seen people in bars doing. Watched family members become hypno slaves. This is in fact the biggest threat to our selfs and family at this time. Especily our children. Plz if you realy want to fight the war this is where its at. Once you learn this # you will see a diffrent world for sure. And then and only then will you know fear.
Truth shows who is who
Have you trained your mind to see the enemy in your bed
Dragon
PS. I also know someone that became one of there slaves because she was going to school to be a teacher. At the end of our relationship she was being taught hypno. How i know was she tryed it on me and failed. I never let her know i knew she tryed. So yea there filling your school with hypno teachers aimed at your children. Only defens is to know there tools and be able to uae them aginst them and or to protect yourself.

edit on 14-1-2013 by pathwalker777 because: Added info

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by natalia

I am grateful that I am a stay at home mom, so really I have no excuse not to homeschool him.

So........................It's never too early to start taking your child's education seriously. If anything you'll be giving him an advantage in life by homeschooling him.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I just wanted to add that my son wants to be a mad scientist, and I encourage, he just likes to do an evil doctor laugh, but he doesn't want to be evil
just mad.....which is eccentric in my eyes
edit on 14-1-2013 by natalia because: (no reason given)

You're just too cute, you know that?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
As a high school student, I don't think I feel like I've been institutionalized and I can assure you, I don't need saving. I feel like the video "Herd Mentality" did my high school and my education a disservice given that it sensationalized everyday actions as, "evil" and, "controlling" and essentially called me a sheep (I doubt he would like it if I called his mother a cow).

For example, let's say you have a homeowners' association meeting to discuss ideas for a proposed community center. Each person has an idea, but you know that if they all speak at the same time, you would hear nothing but gibberish. What do you do? Why, have each person raise their hand and call on them one by one! Even if you're secretly a KGB agent and that community center is just a rouse to build a missile silo, that little organization effort probably isn't indoctrinating your neighbors one bit.

As for my high school curriculum, I think it's adequate in what it teaches. Yeah, it's bland, and yeah, I hate it, but maybe that's because I take advanced placement classes where memorization isn't all it takes to pass that class. I get a far more condensed curriculum than my peers in normal classes, and it requires more than simple memorization. In my AP US History class, I couldn't just repeat, "America wanted to protect Great Britain in World War Two." I had to go beyond what was written in the textbook and connect the dots to say, "America wanted to protect Great Britain because of trade and fear of an insane dictator actually taking over the world." All this learning to earn a score on the AP exam, taken at the end of the year for the possibility of college credit (which saves tons of money when done right).

While I do have to agree that our education is indeed broken, the majority of the problem (or so I've seen), lies with the students themselves. Namely, the ones taking normal classes. Normal classes have class sizes of up to thirty, even forty in some cases. AP course have at most twenty. But class size alone isn't the problem, rather, it is the fact that they would rather talk about how many chicks they banged, or which girl is pregnant this semester. We had a career day, and most of them flat out stated they don't care about college, or getting a job. And while my friends in AP sees their limited perception of the world as hilarious, I see it an example of both a broken school system and societal system. After all, a majority of them didn't just decide to become apathetic about education for no reason.

Mitsu Kaku was right when he said that schools crush curiosity, but I don't believe it manifests in conformity, but in rebellion. Let's face it, the only difference between me, and the ill-inspired teenagers in normal classes, is that I work for my future. And if pushing myself to the academic limit gives me the success and job I want, then by God I will do just that. The reason our schools are failing, isn't because schools are meant to dumb us down, but because students lack the curiosity and willpower to push themselves to their fullest. To write this off as evil "institutionalization" would be to have accepted BP ads that "Everything in the Gulf of Mexico is fine!" in that rather than, oh I don't know, fixing public schools, we fatalistically accept it as The Big Evil Plan™. As, "Stupid in America" brought up, money isn't just the answer, so rather than sitting on your high horses, why not fix the very thing you all criticize? Our schools have capacity, I've seen it with my very two eyes.

I remember seeing a post here on ATS saying that we're all just light bulbs rather than sheep, each waiting in dark for the switch to be flipped, be it from our own curiosity or through a friend, and I choose to continue to believe that. And with that, may you all have a wonderful night!

edit on 14-1-2013 by robodrag0n because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-1-2013 by robodrag0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by robodrag0n

You're a bright kid, but not bright enough to put the pieces together. Why are the kids so disinterested? Why has society failed? Why does your reasoning in the AP class sound weak yet you believe it to be "connecting the dots".

Bright enough to excel in mediocrity isn't something to be proud of.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join