It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pebble: A Transitional Form of Wearable Computer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
There are so many ways to compute on the go today that what we don't need is another one. And that is where this new device shines. It takes something you already wear on your wrist, a wristwatch, and combines it with what you already use for mobile computing, your smartphone for instance. It adds a new way of reaching out to the internet without increasing your "tech load".

SOURCE

Late last year I wondered who would solve “the jetpack problem” for wearable computers: namely, who will present a use case for them that doesn’t presume sci-fi coolness for coolness’s sake? Pebble, the Kickstarter-funded e-ink wristwatch that was finally unveiled at CES this week, is as close to an answer as I’ve seen yet. Why? Because it’s not really a wearable computer at all, and doesn’t try to be.

And finally, a comment on the new "heads up" display glasses compared to the pebble...

This kind of ultra-simple, “glanceable” interaction is where the near future of so-called “wearables” likely lies. A tiny screen hovering in front of your eyeball is certainly glanceable, but it’s not really UN-glanceable either. Whereas a cheap e-ink screen that’s smart enough to connect to the glass brick in your pocket is just “there” enough to make sense when you need it, and not bother you when you don't.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
What functions does it have? It can't be that many considering it's so small and with few buttons to press.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misbah
What functions does it have? It can't be that many considering it's so small and with few buttons to press.

It can receive sms, email and you can control music apps on bluetooth devices.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Does it come in Illuminati Red or Police State Blue?

Really dig the picture you uploaded, "Mind your manners." --- Very accurate.

Looks really convenient.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
The concept has already been around for quite some time.
Like this "Smartwatch" from Sony. There are other brands as well.

At just 0.3 inches thin with an easy-to-wear wristband or clip, SmartWatch makes it simple to stay on top of life in style with just a tap, touch or a swipe. Read your latest text messages, emails and status updates and see who's trying to reach you, even when your phone's at the bottom of your bag. Choose from loads of exciting new apps on Google Play™ sure to make your SmartWatch even smarter.

The I´m Watch, is not to bad either.

edit on 14-1-2013 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
In many threads over the past few months, the theme seems to be that the future is finally here:

edit on 14-1-2013 by avocadoshag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I forgot about, or wasn't aware of, the other devices posted here in the replies. So, now I am wondering just why the high praise from such a reputable source as the M I T Technology review. I can see some advantages to the pebble but it doesn't seem to be all that "cutting edge".

new topics

top topics

join