It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas State Rep to introduce Firearms Protection Act

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

Anyone trying to enforce a federal gun ban could face felony charges under the proposal.

Doesn't Federal law always supercede state law??? Texas should just secede and get it over with and let us send all of our loonies there.

No. The 10th amendment is very clear about that.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Observor

I've gamed scenarios such that an external state (e.g. a Latin state) provided support to a U.S. state engaged in armed confrontation with fed government forces. For that matter I don't think this possibility is farfetched. U.S. fed government agencies and policy are notorious for doing the same against foreign states. And then there is that matter of the so-called domino effect, whereby other states may decide to fall in against the fed government.

I agree with pretty much every point you make. For politicians in D.C. to take the sort of unilateral action that their current rhetoric suggests would be very risky. For that matter I also think orders for military intervention would create rifts within the military--at least among the forward-thinking servicemembers who may recognize that by securing a mandate from on high they conceivably jeopardize their freedom or flexibility as a future private citizen. Effectively, they would be securing an outcome for which they've no interest or desire to be subject to.

Endstate: I don't think the Executive admin. & like-minded members of Congress will roll the dice. But, if they do, I reckon they will commit 100% & we'll find ourselves living in a new sort of interesting time.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
This is great news! Here is the link to the Wyoming thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

They are doing the exact same thing.

Right after Obama was elected the first time, about 28/29 states reaffirmed their 10th amendmendment rights. I do believe Texas was one. I provided the link for the Wyoming thread, because I would like to keep track of this new movement as I did the 10th the first time.

I will try to find the state participation list, because I fully belive that the states that participated in the 10th movement will be the ones to step up to the plate like Texas now has.

This is not just in defense of their citizens, but in defense of their comnerce, as well.

Now, we have Schumert asking retailers to suspend sales during gun debate talks. Really? Suspend a perfectly legal, perfectly econimcally viable thing because you say so?

edit on 14-1-2013 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I am proud to be a texan and I am proud that our state has decided to stand up for us.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Libertygal
This is great news! Here is the link to the Wyoming thread:

Now, we have Schumert asking retailers to suspend sales during gun debate talks. Really? Suspend a perfectly legal, perfectly econimcally viable thing because you say so?

Thank you for the link!

I heard on the radio earlier as I was running errands that Walmart was going to stop selling ammo. I wasn't sure I heard it right and was a little surprised, I wonder if that is why they were discussing it.

If Walmart is going to stop selling it at least it helps the smaller ammo stores and ranges. My understanding from back when I tried to place an order with a small supplier was that when bigger companies place orders for ammo, the manufacturers supply them first, even if the smaller store or company ordered first (my guess it has to do with contracts, etc).

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
YAAAAAY Home State! I miss you! Sorry I left, it wasn't my fault. If stuff starts hitting the fan, I hope you'll accept my Dallas Birth Cert. as proof I belong.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Kinda makes me wish I could move to Texas, as my state's representatives seem to be very much anti-gun rights. We'll all just have to see how the chips fall, but if this starts getting ugly it will get extremely ugly real fast. Much like the Civil War, but for different reasons obviously there are alot of states considering secession even if not officially at this point.

edit on 14-1-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: typo

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Texas, a state where politicians actually still have backbone.

It's good to see when politicians still listen to there constituents, and fire a warning shot across the bow of the idiots running the federal government.

Hat's off to them.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by FaithandArms

Walmart not selling ammo would be a good thing for smaller shops, only if it is not simply a roadblock to prevent ammo from getting to people at all.

The problem is, there is a shortage as is. If Walmart is only doing it because of the Schumert request, that sucks...

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

Originally posted by CB328

Anyone trying to enforce a federal gun ban could face felony charges under the proposal.

Doesn't Federal law always supercede state law??? Texas should just secede and get it over with and let us send all of our loonies there.

No. The 10th amendment is very clear about that.

In the case of conflict of laws, Article 6, paragraph 2 of the US Constitution controls. It says,

"This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding."

Pay attention to that last phrase.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

I, for one, would love to live in a land of such loonies. But noooo--instead I live in the state of California, where they think guns should be illegal.

I moved to Indiana.

So great here, more little gun shops than 7-11's.

Lots of gun tot'n neighbors.

And a new castle law! Even mentions that the cops had better have a valid warrant if they decide to break in to a gun owners home.

Save yourself, get out while you still can.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

Hey - that's no joke. North of DFW metroplex is my stomping ground & I'll 2nd that sentiment wholeheartedly.
They do grow 'em big up here, we take pride in being able to fend for ourselves & we know how to use our toys.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Good ol Texas!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
It's obvious after reading hundreds of posts a lot of people don't understand defense. When you are attacked in your home you have seconds to respond. A locked unloaded gun is less useful then a baseball bat. If guns scare you don't buy them, then when your house gets targeted you can watch your wife and kids getting raped and killed. Not me regardless of how this 2nd amendment goes i will continue to strap on a 44 at home just hoping not to have to use it but prepared just the same. And as many of the criminals in this country wear body armor they can count on head and groin shots.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
good for them, im not usually one for hopping a law snowballs and no one reads it, i say sign away.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I have family in texas...maybe its time to move to texas....

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
It's all a question of the 10th amendment and to the 10th I think it'll all be headed. The Texas Rangers will get to finally arrest some ATF agents (You should read the raw reports on Waco. The Rangers and Feds don't like each other much at all) and it'll be fight on. Who knows how Obama will deal with his agents sitting in a Texas jail.
That state would be the one to do it though. At least, the first.

Obama is supposed to be the President of the United States. That's both sides and not just the 52% or whatever it was who got the math on votes for him. Pushing this stupid crap that any freshman congressman could tell him is politically radioactive is just creating hate for the sake of it and nothing more productive, IMO.

Obama and his ilk has caused this polarization. When a State has to drastically set up laws, because the Amendments we have now are being usurped by executive orders,or bad laws being served at the Federal level its no wonder more States are not doing this.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

One more joins the crowd!

Welcome Missouri!

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Just an FYI for those still following this thread, Missouri as of today is introducing the same legislation as Wyoming and Texas.

ETA - Well, looks like Libertygal beat me to the same post by a few seconds.
edit on 16-1-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I know Oklahoma tried to pass this back in 2010 but the Governor at the time Vetoed the Bill. I dont see any problem with it being reintroduced and passed here. We just passed an open carry law recently.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join