It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity about time

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
How fast does time move? Or.. How fast do we move through time?

Time is weird.

We can sit still, yet still be moving through time.

And isn't it weird how time seems to move faster when you're busy doing something?

As soon as something happens, it's in the past, never to be seen again. What's the fastest an event can occur?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Time does not exist, its just a concept. Nothing is keeping track. What changed is your perception, time is very relative concept we keep time in relation to the sun and its position not on any other physical manifestation.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I think time makes the most sense if we think of it as resembling a DNA strand. If is a coiled double helix, the passing of time ( or rather how we experience the passing of time) can be sped up or slowed down by adjusting the rate of coiling.
Time anomalies may be simply looking at events from an adjacent coil.
Time travel may eventually involve jumping or traveling along the strands.
It explains so many things...

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Time is a man-made institution. ALL things made my man are flawed. Our problem with time travel is our inability to view our reality without time. If there was no time, travelling throughout the universe would only require thought. Time is merely a self-inflicted limitation.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The concept of time is indeed mad made, but the effects of time are a well observed artefact of existing in a linear consciousness.

Thing always get older, never younger. Progression from one to the next, without break and without notice unless observed out of 'time'.

Pretty much since being able to time lapse things, time can be seen in it's effects on otherwise static things.

Why do we only notice the changes as we do? Perhaps this is the question you're asking. As in, we never notice the paint dry... but it dries. But if we time lapse, or record out of normal time, then we see the paint change as it dries.

Why do we perceive things at this constant... good question, I've asked it myself.. or, it's a good question, you should ask it

Perhaps there are other entities in a vastly different consciousness, that experience time so much faster than us, that we're like a twinkle of a star to them.. or perhaps so much slower than us that we appear as indecipherable intangible 'physics' that the observers within that consciousness, can only theorize about.

Maybe we're another realities quantum theory.

edit on 13-1-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt
Time is a man-made institution. ALL things made my man are flawed. Our problem with time travel is our inability to view our reality without time. If there was no time, travelling throughout the universe would only require thought. Time is merely a self-inflicted limitation.

That is like saying that without water we could walk on the ocean floor, so water is a self-inflicted limitation.

We have no control over it.

It is just as it is.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CesarO
Time does not exist, its just a concept. Nothing is keeping track. What changed is your perception, time is very relative concept we keep time in relation to the sun and its position not on any other physical manifestation.

Agree. Plus, no one actually sits still. The energy in one's body is always moving, always burning and renewing. Time is not time, but time is energy burning in one direction. Just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

People get older because cells mechanism of duplication starts failing not because a clock is telling it to do so. Things change and shift, they don't start or end, this only happens when you get someone to compare it to another thing its all about perception. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, matter is energy, everything is energy, everything shifts to different arrangements but never ceases to end.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Time is an illusion created by the spring like coils of passing energy leaving the sun which is pushing on the lines of connection between the sun and earth. These lines of connection are like your arms bowed our grasping on a basket ball. Time is constantly fluxuating but our time is based on the turning of the earth and the earths rotation around the sun, not in real time. Doesn't anyone notice how some days a lot gets done while other times time flies by. Our realization is what guides our perceptions. They say as you age time starts to fly by faster. Is it just us or has our limited realization discounted the fact that time is really speeding up but so are the younger people for each generation. All we have is clocks that recognize our perception of time.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

That is like saying that without water we could walk on the ocean floor, so water is a self-inflicted limitation.

We have no control over it.

It is just as it is.

Water, is not man-made...So, how is it self-inflicted?
We have the technology or the imagination, to do anything that we wish, as long as it doesn't interfere with the passage of time! If we could eliminate time, that would make everything else, attainable.
The problem with travelling to another star, is not the ship, it is death before arrival.

The question we should ask is, why does time, in the natural sense, exist? And, if the answer is, merely to act as a barrier, then we should question that limitation, instead of trying to circumvent it.

edit on 1/13/2013 by GoOfYFoOt because: punctuation...

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GoOfYFoOt

Well said.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

reply to post by winofiend

People get older because cells mechanism of duplication starts failing not because a clock is telling it to do so. Things change and shift, they don't start or end, this only happens when you get someone to compare it to another thing its all about perception. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, matter is energy, everything is energy, everything shifts to different arrangements but never ceases to end.

What dictates the mechanism of the cell ?

I never said any about the other stuff you say, either, not sure why you think I don't know that already.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Water, is not man-made...So, how is it self-inflicted?
We have the technology or the imagination, to do anything that we wish, as long as it doesn't interfere with the passage of time! If we could eliminate time, that would make everything else, attainable.
The problem with travelling to another star, is not the ship, it is death before arrival.

Time is not man made in the sense you're talking. "If we could eliminate time" ? while at the same saying time is man made? Like pollution?

The question we should ask is, why does time, in the natural sense, exist? And, if the answer is, merely to act as a barrier, then we should question that limitation, instead of trying to circumvent it.

Time is not like gravity. You could no more break free of it, than you could break free of the 3D space we live in and visit 2D beings and be able to actually comprehend that existence. You'd just become deluded and disorientated. We can't even really imagine a realisitc 2D existence, because we automatically add a 3rd dimension to it to visualise it.

Or maybe I just watched The Langoliers too many times as a kid, lol..

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Time is not man made in the sense you're talking. "If we could eliminate time" ? while at the same saying time is man made? Like pollution?

I was trying to simplify...What I believe is that time is a natural phenomenon, but the comprehension of time and all of it's precision and limitations, is a human construct. It's a handicap, that we MUST incorporate into everything that we do.

Time is not like gravity. You could no more break free of it, than you could break free of the 3D space we live in and visit 2D beings and be able to actually comprehend that existence. You'd just become deluded and disorientated. We can't even really imagine a realisitc 2D existence, because we automatically add a 3rd dimension to it to visualise it.

Or maybe I just watched The Langoliers too many times as a kid, lol..

Well, Stephen King's twisted mind aside, I beg to differ...

The only down-side to separation from time, would be the realization of being cognizant for an eternity. While we may not be able to break free from time in the physical sense, time can definitely be altered. Einstein has proven this, mathmatically and science has confirmed it. You of all people should realize this, considering your avatar.

As for human perception, I think that we could comprehend anything that we are subjected to, given the right incentive. And not only would 2D be much easier to comprehend, it would remove the element that is the cause of illusion, in the 3rd dimension. Spatial recognition, is what gives our universe substance, in every sense of the word. But, it too, is a limitation of the mind.

No, what I postulate, is not a separation from the fourth dimension, but actually becoming it. There would be no need for orientation, because we would be one with it all.

edit on 1/14/2013 by GoOfYFoOt because: added text...

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

Time is weird.

And isn't it weird how time seems to move faster when you're busy doing something?

As soon as something happens, it's in the past, never to be seen again. What's the fastest an event can occur?

In truth, time is the greatest paradox of all. God himself did not create time. MAN did. If one opens his mind, then he can learn to manipulate it. After all, it is simply a case of the creation overpowering the creator. The creator can always retake control at any time, but they must learn to do so.

The same can be said with time. If one learns, one can set it to any speed they want.

As proof, i ask you this: have you ever been doing something you hate, and time seems to be really slow, but when you are having fun, it seems to go really fast?

That is an example of what I am talking about. If you want to learn to control it, talk to me. I can help with this.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
By the way, if any moderators think I'm lying, and don't want me saying anything, I can pm the techniques first so you can test them yourself, THEN I can post em on here. I really don't care one way or the other.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AbandonedKid

Time is weird.

In truth, time is the greatest paradox of all. God himself did not create time. MAN did. If one opens his mind, then he can learn to manipulate it. After all, it is simply a case of the creation overpowering the creator. The creator can always retake control at any time, but they must learn to do so.

The same can be said with time. If one learns, one can set it to any speed they want.

As proof, i ask you this: have you ever been doing something you hate, and time seems to be really slow, but when you are having fun, it seems to go really fast?

That is an example of what I am talking about. If you want to learn to control it, talk to me. I can help with this.

------------

Interesting discussion about time indeed smithjustinb & AbandonedKid. I am enjoying reading everyone's post's on this the oldest of all subjects that we know of ( Time )

On the Coasttocoast Radio program a few weeks back, they had this Dr on who supposedly had the Highest IQ in the U.S. He put his theories out there, that everything we see, is actually already " History ". That what we are all actually seeing, is just " History " It was fascinating to hear his theories, but somehow I still don't think he has it nailed. IMHO

Please continue on with your theories AbandonedKid, maybe it's " The Right Time " - Pun Intended - to crack this paradox / catch-22 of Time !

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Time is weird.

This is just my opinion on it, but take a long fuse - the kind like on a fire cracker - light it and watch it. What you are witnessing is energy being burned - not time. Absolutely everything is energy; like a child forming in the womb and then being born and growing into a thirty year old. Then the energy starts decaying until the person grows old and dies. Energy increases - energy decreases. Time has nothing to do with it.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

I'm always a few minutes behind on this subject. Are you saying that if we had no sun to relate the passage of time with then we would not experience the sense of time passing?

Working underground, once, in a mine in pitch darkness except for a torch that I only used sparingly the passing of time flew for me but I put that down to the fact that I was totally focused hence unconscious of time passing.
It is difficult to believe time does not exist and easy to believe that it does. It is also easy to say it doesn't exist yet for us it does exist even if it is only a figment of our minds. It doesn't make sense to me that it is nothing more than a concept. Is this how Einstein saw time? I mean he recognized certain laws in regards speed of light, time and energy. Light and energy we know exist why wouldn't time?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
My boss has been getting on my a$$ about being late, I had to start coming in on time. Someone please explain to my boss how time is an illusion.

Of course time is real, it can be measured, it’s just a variable. Time is really a measure of length contraction and varies depending on speed through space and/or the gravitation field you’re in (a.k.a frame of reference)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join