It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Iran is attacked, what do you think will be consequences for the west?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
The rhetoric goes by saying that Iran are the bad guys and we are the good guys therefore we have the right to attack them and to destroy their supposedly military nuclear installations.
Now, let’s try to imagine that this attack actually does happen. What happens next?
It is my opinion that the biggest victims will be us, the people, the energy consumers and certainly not the “enemy”.
Once Iran is attacked, chances are that it won’t be limited to target installations, the collateral damage would be much more than what anyone would expect: Iran would certainly retaliate and the result could be the total destruction of all the oil producing facilities in Iran, Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia plus the total closing of the Strait of Hormuz for months or years to come.
The energy rationing would take effect immediately, our economies would crumble and unemployment would skyrocket, riots would erupt, food supplies would be diminished due to energy rationing, martial law would be instituted. Actually, we would be the biggest losers in this war and yet our leaders seem to think that a war is the only solution.
Is this how you see this or is it only me?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It won't happen. And if it does, it will be like the oil embargo of 1973. Gas goes up to 8 bucks a gallon, we dip into the reserves and possibly, another recession. But that would start in Europe first. Iran is to large to invade, therefore it will be air attacks, air attacks and more air attacks.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Lets not attack Iran and find out.

Trust me, it is far better if we don't get involved, no matter what happens "over there"

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
$20 a gallon gas... and it will all go downhill from there

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
$20 a gallon gas... and it will all go downhill from there

That would be the least of your worries if Iran is attacked by either Israel or the USA.

It's too hard to believe, but there are radical Islamic organizations which intend to draw both into attacking Iran, they're also at play now in Syria. They need the justification, the fulfillment of religious prophecies and religious authorization to execute their ultimate attack plans. Iran must be seen as a victim of unjust aggression from Israel and the "Great Satan" (USA) for that to happen.

So, again... lets not attack Iran and find out exactly what that means.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Maybe we should all just sit this one out and let them sort it out already,I am sick of Isreal causing so much crap,same with Iran,let them duke it out and then step in to rebuild for the people.

Consequences for the West??An economic resurgance as we make a killing off of oil and gas and build pipelines to and from Canada while we simultaneously invest all the money we rake in in new and cheaper technology for harvesting and distributing energy for domestic use at a fraction of todays costs.

Why not just give Isreal an ultimatum and then step back,America needs to get her economic feet under her and there aint no war big enough to pull off a miracle,so things are better directed to rebuilding the energy infrastructure via new technology before the rest of the world does it seeing as the virtually free energy cat is out of the bag,same with magna-trains and transport,its time to roll it out nationwide and to generate millions and millions of new jobs and fresh money.

There are no Consequences for the West if Iran is attacked,unless we invite them upon ourselves.

In fact I believe that neither country would use nukes to be honest,and of course the big dogs arent worried as neither Iran nor Isreal are a global threat,they are only regional threats.Let them duke it out the olde fashioned way.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Natanyahoo seem to think that the only solution left is a war.
Did he ever meet with Iranians to discuss a possible solution? No!
Does he intend to? No!
Is anyone from the west willing to negotiate? No!
That means that the war is planned and will go ahead, regardless of people's opinion.
The suffering seem to be intentional,... call it the man made Tribulations!

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Patrol

If Iran is attacked, what do you think will be consequences for the west?

More debt

and

more dead

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
i think the world has had enough of war.

it's nice to see the u.s. is finally getting it.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
For America not much unless we go into another 2 trillion dollar "nation building", I sure hope not... For Europe...now they would be in a world of hurt every which way.....sucks to be them...

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Patrol

If the U.S. decided to attack Iran and I believe this would only happen if Iran develops a Nuke after breaking the NPT...the level of such a U.S. Military attack would take into account that Iran would have Nuclear Weapons.

The U.S. has some very powerful and exotic Weapon systems and I am certain Non-Nuclear EMP's would be used to render the Iranian Military innert. The Iranian Navy would be easily destroyed by the U.S. Fifth Fleet and given the fact the U.S. now has the very accurate SM-3 ABM...Iran's missile attack of the region should be also handled.

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
the story in russian newspaper was when hillary got the bump on head they were landing her plane in iran for secret talks .so i have doubts were going to have trouble with iran .

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Don't forget that the US would also lose an aircraft carrier or two and tens of thousands of troops and navy personnel. There would be attacks in the continental United States and our political leaders would be assassinated.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Iran is a strategic nightmare even for the USA. I think Iran would fight to the death and the memories of a western backed dictatorship prior to the revolution will motivate them. The first thing I would expect to see though is a protest influenced by the west inside Iran which could lead to a similar scenario to Syria. If that wasn't to work, then Israel would kick things off only to bring the USA into a war.
edit on 14-1-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
[reply] Patrol[/reply]

This is an interesting twist on the Iran threads. Personally, I'm used to seeing why we should, or should not attack Iran threads, but no one has presented it in the fashion you have and for that I'm going to give you a star and a flag.

First, this is a very complicated issue. Now, I in no way mean to slander or underplay the US forces, but Iran is an extremely tricky situation for a number of reasons. First I will address what you have posted in your OP.

I assume, by Iran's nuclear facilities you mean both their refineries as well as their nuclear power plants because in reality both of them can produce the materials necessary to make a nuclear weapon, which seems to be both the number one threat and scare monger tactic with in the entire reasoning towards going to war/attacking Iran.

Both Iran's Nuclear facilities and refineries are active. Which means, if you drop a bomb on them you risk the hazard of spreading radioactive material into the atmosphere, as well as causing potential for a meltdown situation. Given the vast number of US allies in the area, as well as the potential for global hazards in a situation such as this these targets can not be attacked with out causing collateral damage, or upset with in the communities of middle eastern allies of the United states. This ship has sailed, at an operational status these targets would cause more harm to the region attacked by conventional weapons, than left as they are. This is the same reason the US did not attack N. Korean, refinement or nuclear facilities. It poses an extreme risk of potential radioactive collateral for US allies in the region.

I agree 100% with your next statement/statements. Iran has both Said it would shut down the strait of Hormuz, as well as attack/burn oil wells in the surrounding middle eastern states if the US made any Aggressive moves/strikes towards Iran(as perceived by Iran). Striking an Iranian target by any means, would place them in the immediate position to retaliate by mining or occupying the strait of Hormuz and shutting down, or hindering shipping through it in a shorter amount of time than the US can currently prevent. As well, Iran possesses both Land and Air forces capable of attacking surrounding oil wells, and stocks with in the middle east causing a potential for oil shortage in the near future. The US does how ever obtain oil from other countries as well as possess it's own emergency stocks for just such an occasion.

Now, as far as the civilian goes, any action in the middle east could affect energy costs. We saw this both with the desert storm era conflict in Iraq, as well as the more recent theater in Iraq. Oil prices reached all time highs, and never fell during and after both conflicts. Gasoline is currently, much more expensive before either conflict, even though tensions in the are have subsided significantly. When the prices began to rise the reason for said rise was blamed on the conflict itself, and having ended we haven't seen much of a price drop at the pump. So if another conflict broke out in the oil rich region we could very well face an increase in price or tax on crude oil products irregardless of the status of the oil fields or shipment. Keep in mind a vast portion of American oil comes from both Canada, and Russia. The United States being Canada's number one consumer of crude oil.

Now, here comes the tricky part. As I mentioned at the beginning of this post. I am in no way trying to undermine the US forces. How ever, Iran is currently in a position to do some serious damage. Iran is not like the other nations the US has faces off with in the middle east. Iran actually possesses one of the most technologically advanced military's in the region. They also possess enough man power to pose a serious threat to both the US as well as any other nation that decides to get in on the action. I in no way doubt the US is quite capable as a military force, but this isn't going to be another Iraq, or Libya. Iran has both the technology, man power, and willingness to fend off any and all invaders that come their way. They are not starving ill equipped slaves in the desert waiting for American tanks to roll over them like we saw in Desert Storm. Their nation is not currently in a civil war like we saw with Libya. They are Strong, they are proud, and they are perfectly capable of doing immense damage, land, air or sea. Not to mention, Both Russia, and China seem to be on their side. I think it would be extremely foolish of the US or Israel to make the first move. Doing so would simply be like throwing a nuke at an already unstable powder keg.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
It seems like Americans have finally wised up and they are planning on more diplomatic more mature policies towards Iran's situation....A war with Iran would be the last bullet shot into an already ultra fragile worldwide economy.There is enough negative energy going on in the world,and no one likes to make it any worse than it already is....Lets put our differences aside and start working together to find solutions which might someday get us all out of this mess....Americans,Iranians,Israelis,Arabs and Palestinians are all sick and tiered of wars.We all want a stable,secure and peaceful world for our next generation to grow up in...A handful of warmongering retired generals and corporation owners can not dictate their devilish desires on the rest of the planet anymore.They are certainly outnumbered by the people...Long live the peace.

top topics

join