link   
yum yum yum

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I. Love. That. Plane.

Thank you!!!

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
This is what it looked like when he started. IIRC it had been found in a bog or something of the sort.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Amazing job. Beautiful plane.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
There are a number of web pages with pics of the a/c at varioous stages -

The EAA page from which the external pic above was taken

The restoration project page itself (which seems quite out of date, but I guess they were busy!
)

Facebook page

Google search images

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Wow.

During WW2 my mum worked for the AID (Air Inspection Department) and worked on these planes, I also believe that some parts were manufactured in a furniture maker in South London.

Somehow the note book she had, which dealt with all sorts of specification data was lost, all I remember are the drawings of anhedral/dihedral wing layouts and propeller angles!

So seeing this plane fly is a sort of memory of her, and something I am very proud of.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by dowot

I believe some parts were manufactured in the furniture factories around High Wycombe as well? My grandparents works in some of these factories, but made the wings for Wellingtons.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

One of the sexiest aircraft ever made.
Anyone wanna swap my wife for one ? I'll throw in the kids for free
edit on 14-1-2013 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I love the plane... but...

The geek in me took over. I watched the video... the props... they rotate opposite each other (or are my eyes deceiving me?)

I recall that Original Mossies props rotated in the same direction. It caused a hell of a swing on takeoff I do believe.

(Or am I getting confused with the Blenheim?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Gotta love those Mossies!! I totally respect and admire the warbird community coming together to rebuild the relics of WW2 and earlier. When the Germans shot down their first Mossie and inspected it, they probably said what the heck. But they would be building wooden planes of their own before the war was over.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
I love the plane... but...

The geek in me took over. I watched the video... the props... they rotate opposite each other (or are my eyes deceiving me?)

Yes they are

If you have a look at the start where they engiens are not running you will see the props both rotate in the same direction - to starboard (as viewed from teh rear) at the top.

Any appearance otherwise is probably just an illusion due the "strobing" effects of your monitor and the camera - sort of like that figure that can be seen as rotating in either direction.

I recall that Original Mossies props rotated in the same direction. It caused a hell of a swing on takeoff I do believe.

(Or am I getting confused with the Blenheim?

most twin engined a/c had props rotating the same way at the time- those that didn't - like the P-38 - were exceptions.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

This might need checking, but iirc, Mossie models with three blade props, like this one, had them rotating the same way, but later models with 4 blade props had handed engines.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

Apparently not - list of Merlin engine marks on wiki - as noted all are "right hand tractor" - ie rotate to the right at the top when viewed from the rear, except as noted - and the only one noted as left hand tractor is the Mk 131 fitted to the Hornet port nacelle - the direction change being achieved by way of the gearbox.

Happy to be corrected if that's not accurate tho.....

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
How is this on the front page?? haha

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

No, you are right, I was confusing something I had read about the Hornet, just checked in the History of the Mosquito

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Maybe a company will start that will remanufacture them for private buyers. I wouldnt mind buzzing the Dover Cliffs or London in one of these, Im sure they wouldnt mind as long as they didnt know I was American

Maybe it will make it to the Farnborough air show and we can see it with one of the remaining Lancasters still around, and they dont travel without a few Spitfires that still exist. All that Merlin noise

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by StratosFear
Maybe a company will start that will remanufacture them for private buyers.

well that's a possibility - having made the moulds perhaps they won't destroy them as was done at the end of WW2!!

And of course they must have drawings for all the fuselage parts that were manufactured, and good ideas where to get various original bits and bobs.

I thik the RRP might be out of my league tho!!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Flight over Wellington as seen from an accompanying P-40

the mossie is appearing at an airshow in Masterton over this weekend, Auckland next weekend, and I believe is scheduled for appearances around the US in the upcoming summer airshow season there - don't miss it

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
What a beauty,it's something else to see them fly rather than on display and those engines,what a sound !!

Can remember going to an airshow as lad,prob '79 or '80 and watching a spitfire roaring past.The sound of that engine can still hear it

join