It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

24 Months/ no need for a heavy winter Parka

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Hello all I thought this was the appropriate forum for this as I am not providing links but I am providing over 50 years of observation from Canada.

The last time I needed my Heavy Parka was in 2011 and only then for a one time use.
Last year was very light coats or tees only and that was for the whole winter.
This year is the same right now it is raining like mad out side and the temp is 44 F as I type this.
Unheard of here in the middle of January but this is the second year for the same weather.

For those of you whom have no idea how a heavy parka works I will tell you this much.
Once you put it on you better get out of the house fast or you will find yourself sweating copious amounts of perspiration.( They weigh about 40 LBS)
Then when you get outside you freeze because of the sweat.

Anyways We (wife and me) both own heavy parkas plus snowmobile suits and they are all still hanging out with the moth balls down in the basement.

I do realize that it is only the middle of January but.........It is far too warm in our opinion.

With that said I agree there is something wrong with our weather and there are so many possibilities that it boggles the mind.

I know one thing and that is this is not what either one of us has every experienced in our combined life time of over 100 years here in Canada.

Please let me remind you that is just my personal observation and the wife's too.
Nothing overly scientific about this thread but I would like to get some feedback either Ya or Na I don't really care as all feedback is good.

Regards,Iwinder

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I'm in New Mexico and it was 2 degrees outside this morning...

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

I'm 350 kilometers north of Toronto and I've wore my spring jacket all except two days this winter.

I've wore ling underwear maybe five different days this winter which is odd because I own at least twenty pairs and have them on every day. My giant snowboots rated for minus 80c only got used once.

Keep in mind I worked outside for the better part of a decade.

Would say that winter is a month to a month and a half shorter than twenty years ago and the amount of snow and cold days is less than half of what we had even ten years ago.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I'm in New Mexico and it was 2 degrees outside this morning...

That does not make sense at all I assume you are serious?

Are things this backwards?

Regards Iwinder

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
NC, we hit 75 F today.

I want snow! Preferably, enough to close schools for a day or two....

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

For those of you whom have no idea how a heavy parka works I will tell you this much. Once you put it on you better get out of the house fast or you will find yourself sweating copious amounts of perspiration.( They weigh about 40 LBS) Then when you get outside you freeze because of the sweat.

I can't even imagine when or where you bought your parka, or why it's 40 lbs

My husband's entire snowmobile suit, separate jacket and pants, weighs less than 10 lbs, and it's good for at least minus 40 Celsius.
Down feathers aren't very heavy

It'll still get some use, the northern prairies are still cold and snowy

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
If your parka weighs 40 lbs then it must be about 90 years old. I have a parka that I have worn many times in Yellowknife in minus 55 in the wind. Working, snowmobiling, ice fishing, or just out for a walk, and it does not weigh even close to 20 lbs.

Where in Canada do you live, OP?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

I forgot to mention our boots as well......rated very good for cold and I don't even know where my pair is at the moment and I paid close to 150 bucks for them.

Thanks for adding to this thread,

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

For those of you whom have no idea how a heavy parka works I will tell you this much. Once you put it on you better get out of the house fast or you will find yourself sweating copious amounts of perspiration.( They weigh about 40 LBS) Then when you get outside you freeze because of the sweat.

I can't even imagine when or where you bought your parka, or why it's 40 lbs

My husband's entire snowmobile suit, separate jacket and pants, weighs less than 10 lbs, and it's good for at least minus 40 Celsius.
Down feathers aren't very heavy

Our snowmobile suits are very light as well, extremely light in weight, but if you purchase an Oil treated Parka they pack the weight.

When and if we ever get cold weather again I would not trade our heavy Parkas for anything out there.

Regards, Iwinder

It'll still get some use, the northern prairies are still cold and snowy

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
NC, we hit 75 F today.

I want snow! Preferably, enough to close schools for a day or two....

I better get down in the basement and see if I can find our sandals? LOL

Lets switch homes.

Thanks for the info.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TFCJay
If your parka weighs 40 lbs then it must be about 90 years old. I have a parka that I have worn many times in Yellowknife in minus 55 in the wind. Working, snowmobiling, ice fishing, or just out for a walk, and it does not weigh even close to 20 lbs.

Where in Canada do you live, OP?

Thanks for your post we live in Ontario and yes our Parkas are that heavy they are oil treated and besides the pain in the ass weight they work very well providing you have cold weather. :-)

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Ya Northwest Ontario here
Greenstone area
escapenorth.com...
I should be plowing snow now
Been getting rain and frezing rain last few day's
I remember 45 year ago it was at least - 40 to -50 C
Now around 0 to -20 on a bad day something is not right for sure What

edit on 13-1-2013 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trillium
Ya Northwest Ontario here
Greenstone area
escapenorth.com...
I should be plowing snow now
Been getting rain and frezing rain last few day's
I remember 45 year ago it was at least - 40 to -50 C
Now around 0 to -20 on a bad day something is not right for sure What

edit on 13-1-2013 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

Excellent Post and I thank you for this information.
I see you are quite a ways up North.
I too have no idea what is causing this but something is off big time and there is no argument here at all.

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 13-1-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I am more than happy to leave my mukluks and parka in my basement.

I will take a mild winter happily.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TFCJay
I am more than happy to leave my mukluks and parka in my basement.

I will take a mild winter happily.

I agree 100% but it does make me ask why are the seasons changing so drastically?

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I live in the mid atlantic area of the states, on the coast, and it has been unnaturally warm this winter. our normal winter temps range from 20-40F during the day but this year temps have been much warmer than that. We are getting temps in the 60`sF and we have only had a few nights where the temp has gone below freezing, that`s just not right.

if this trend continues we will be getting summer temps of over 100f and after last years drought a summer with regular 100+ degree temps is going to bad for everyone.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
I live in the mid atlantic area of the states, on the coast, and it has been unnaturally warm this winter. our normal winter temps range from 20-40F during the day but this year temps have been much warmer than that. We are getting temps in the 60`sF and we have only had a few nights where the temp has gone below freezing, that`s just not right.

if this trend continues we will be getting summer temps of over 100f and after last years drought a summer with regular 100+ degree temps is going to bad for everyone.

Thanks for your input, one thing you mention is your summer temps and here oddly enough they are about normal.

Nothing too hot nor cold in my opinion only.

But like you there our winter temps are way way out of wack.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I did not go on the hunt for any links because the evidence is there for all to see but I did find this article this morning during my daily news surf.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

It is about Chicago breaking a 72 year old record for "Lack" of snowfall.

I usually pile up a cord or so of firewood at our back door so its easy to reach and keep the rest in a large shed and our garage.

This year I had to move that pile to shelter because it was getting soaked almost everyday and did not burn very well.

Usually you just kick off the snow and it burns really good, not this year:-)

I have used our snowblower once this year and never used it at all last year. We usually go through about 50 litres of gas a season and so far this year not even a litre.

If this is the new norm it is going to take quite a few years to adjust to this new winter stuff.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Yes, I'm serious.
I'm over 6000 feet elevation, but still, it RARELY gets that cold! This morning it's a balmy 17.

The weather is changing.

Can I have your parka?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Iwinder

Yes, I'm serious.
I'm over 6000 feet elevation, but still, it RARELY gets that cold! This morning it's a balmy 17.

The weather is changing.

Can I have your parka?

Crazy stuff indeed, here today it is at 0C or 32 F right now, we should be having cold weather that takes your breath away.
Usually right now it is around 10F with a wind chill cold enough to make you triple sock if you have big enough boots.
And that is during the day, I should add here that during the night we are getting cold temps but come morning the temperature climbs real fast to above freezing....

You can have my Parka if you pay the shipping

Thanks for the post.
regards, Iwinder
edit on 14-1-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join