It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Creeping Horror

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
watch out! He is NOT going to ask again

That is pretty funny

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

Considering the fact nobody but you appears to be having the specific issue, I'd say it's a browser or system issue on your end. I know when I use Firefox I have issues with certain sites (including ATS) depending on the updates, add-ons, Java version, etc...

I use Chrome on ATS and it's perfect. Have you tried another browser?

Springer...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Thanks Springer,

Yeah, I know. I Had Bodhi Linux running on a 2002 Fujitsu Stylistic ST4110 in tablet mode last night and Midori purged ATS of ads with no additional configuration at all.

I get it. It's the principal of the matter. If I log in to my account on ATS I feel unloved and as though no one is paying attention when I can't read the first three new topics without waiting.

Who do you suppose is banking on the chance that the first three topics in that list are worth the wait? I know it's not you, it's the advertisers.

What is the problem with making the New Topics list off limits to your advertisers?

And frankly, Springer, since we are on the topic; why would you want anyone to see your website like that? It's really ugly.

One minute we were experimenting with cool retro-looking metro formatting for the site; now it looks worse than Vegas.

Help me preserve my self-respect when I log on.

And I'll think about the Hedgerow thread.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by RandyBragg

watch out! He is NOT going to ask again

That is pretty funny

Agreed. And there I went and did again anyhow (above).

Yeah, I thought about that all day. I'm a goofball. Thing is though, we haven't had a good "I'm leaving!" flame-out thread in a while.

It is a seldom considered alternative use for an ATS account.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
So, here is Chrome, freshly installed. It sure is quick and snappy, I got it and lightshot up in no time. Still chokes on Flash though.

I just don't know what to say, despite knowing what I would like to say.

How shall I configure Chrome so that I am not the only person complaining about the advertising?

Also, has anyone noticed that our posts, even while logged in, now have bright blue hyperlinks to advertising attached to key words.

I am blown away that we are having this conversation as if I am the only idiot experiencing this, while adverts are spawning all around us like sick little rabbits.

This is actually starting to become the kind of fun that is right up my alley. Deeply weird.

?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Okay... I have a lot of computers in the house. lotta kids.. and 2 offices in the house

toshiba lapotop : firefox - perfect
Asus laptop: firefox - perfect
Hacked Kindle ICS with generic browser - I get a full page covering ad that I exit out of.. then its perfect
Hacked kindle ICS with Firefox Beta- I actually dont see ANY ads except tldr and its perfectly formatted
Toshiba thrive Chrome - perfect
Toshiba thrive firefox- perfect
Asus Desktop chrome - perfect
Dell desktop chrome - perfect
Kurio kids tablet with generic browser - perfect
Kurio kids tablet chrome- perfect
My husband wont let me touch his gaming laptop... so youre out of luck on testing that one.

Thats all on home page, hot topics, new topics and recent posts. I cant imagine what the problem is , but its on your end... honestly.

I had terrible times on here in chat with different updates on firefox... things were formatted wrong. Other than that I really have no idea what to do other than to ask you to try a fresh install of Chrome.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

That is a fresh install of Chrome.

Right out of the box, straight to ATS, I logged in and, voila!.

What is this configuring thing?

I know how to configure a web browser, I appreciate the help, but holy-smokes, I posted an image of Firefox 'configured' with all sorts of stuff.

I have had staff actually recommend 'no-script'.

I have asked over and over again for the staff to please avail me of this configuration in either Chrome or Firefox that does not violate T&C.

What up?

There it is folks.

Plain old Chrome, as rec'd, logged in.

How am I the only person having this experience?

The next thing I will do is set up a fresh install of XP, load Chrome, log in, and provide another screenshot just like the last one.

Advantage? You don't see the blue hyperlinks in the posts on this thread?

Thanks.
edit on 15-1-2013 by Xoanon because:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xoanon

That is a fresh install of Chrome.

Right out of the box, straight to ATS, I logged in and, voila!.

What is this configuring thing?

I know how to configure a web browser, I appreciate the help, but holy-smokes, I posted an image of Firefox 'configured' with all sorts of stuff.

I have had staff actually recommend 'no-script'.

I have asked over and over again for the staff to please avail me of this configuration in either Chrome or Firefox that does not violate T&C.

What up?

There it is folks.

Plain old Chrome, as rec'd, logged in.

How am I the only person having this experience?

The next thing I will do is set up a fresh install of XP, load Chrome, log in, and provide another screenshot just like the last one.

Advantage? You don't see the blue hyperlinks in the posts on this thread?

Thanks.

Yes I do, but I dont have ANY of that overlap on anything that I see in your screen shots. Thats so bizarre. Ill check when a certain person comes into chat and link him to this thread.. maybe he has some idea.
It'll be a pain to reinstall.. But if it prevents you getting your petticoats in a bunch and make a move to post a flounce thread... reinstall xp NOWW!!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Yes I do, but I dont have ANY of that overlap on anything that I see in your screen shots. Thats so bizarre. Ill check when a certain person comes into chat and link him to this thread.. maybe he has some idea. It'll be a pain to reinstall..

Takes about 90 minutes.

But if it prevents you getting your petticoats in a bunch and make a move to post a flounce thread... reinstall xp NOWW!!

OK, but before I do, what are you going to say when I post a screenshot just like the ones above?

Also, in terms of flouncing, the history of those hedgerows during WWII might change your opinion of them, and in terms of the occult mysteries, well, let's just say that the thread is for folks like you that aren't familiar with English Hedgerows. But if I can find any, I'll work in some flounce by request.

This is awesome...

A gauntlet of mouse-mines

I was offered insurance at least once just when pasting that pic.

edit on 15-1-2013 by Xoanon because: Hooo

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

When was the last time you scanned your PC for malware or a virus? Seriously YOUR computer has issues. When you run a huge, global site you have to program for the masses, that's the whole idea of ATS, to get our members' thoughts, ideas and theories out to the BIGGEST audience in the world possible.

We don't tend to worry about how the site looks in an esoteric, ultra minority, uber el33t off the wall OS or browser config.

Sorry man but that's just reality, I truly don't mean to be a prick, but when everyone else can see things presented normally and only you can't, it's time to consider what's more important to you and it might be a GOOD IDEA to STOP accusing our tech team of screwing up your experience.

It's reminiscent of someone with a Sony Beta-Max bitching about not being able to watch VHS.

Springer...
edit on 1-15-2013 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

When was the last time you scanned your PC for malware or a virus? Seriously YOUR computer has issues.

Gosh, sonny, never. How can you accuse me of being all, el33t (which I had to look up) and of simultaneously not understanding my own system?

We don't tend to worry about how the site looks in an esoteric, ultra minority, uber el33t off the wall OS or browser config.

I think you are a little mislead here somehow. If you are concerned about reaching the whole world, then you might be interested in checking out newer Linux based distros like Bodhi Linux which runs on legacy hardware.

Bodhi is #12. Simple as pie to install.

distrowatch.com...

More of the world is going to be looking at the site with stuff like that as money becomes more scarce and people seek out free ways to get their old and getting-older hardware running. I am not aware of another software package that allows one to revive a 2002 Win tablet, WACOM, wireless and all. There are a lot of tablets out there. Midori comes stock; it's just a simplified firefox.

Sorry man but that's just reality, I truly don't mean to be a prick, but when everyone else can see things presented normally and only you can't, it's time to consider what's more important to you and it might be a GOOD IDEA to STOP accusing our tech team of screwing up your experience.

I didn't accuse your tech team. I brought in to question the decision to make that space available for advertising.

You aren't being a prick.

Also, I wanted to add that I doubt very much that anyone is escaping the advertising around here by any means that satisfies T%C. I have yet to get a direct answer on the magical configuration that would have stopped that ad space bleeding over.

And no one has even batted an eye at the blue hyperlinks and the mouse-mine gauntlet.

It's reminiscent of someone with a Sony Beta-Max bitching about not being able to watch VHS.

Being as we likely came up at the same time that Beta was actually in use, this is really funny.

But I fail to understand what you are analogizing. My hardware?

I was trying to express in that post that you found to be all, like, el33t, that your site looks better and handled better on a legacy machine with 512 running open source software and a full version of firefox than it does on a modern laptop running Win7 with 6gigs of RAM, your recommended Chrome, and a fast processor.

So in this case, my Beta delivered a better experience.

So here I am on a fresh install of WinXP. I went straight to Chrome after all necessary updates and a pre-scan with malwarebytes.

So far so good.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Here is what ATS looks like on the Chromium web browser running on that old fujitsu tablet. Best as I can tell it actually has 488 of RAM. Strange old thing.

Not complaining, just thought you would like to see it. I have no issue with the adverts on this shot. I just don't see the point of extending the adverts to cover the text on the site. Which I can only assume must have been my machine.

How does that work? I am only asking because I don't know.

Sorry, I was wrong, Midori is based on WebKit.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

I think you are a little mislead here somehow. If you are concerned about reaching the whole world, then you might be interested in checking out newer Linux based distros like Bodhi Linux which runs on legacy hardware.

I think you have been misled, Bodhi Linux is not new in fact it is already dead
forums.bodhilinux.com.../topic/7537-bodhi-14-completely-abandoned/
like many in the endless list of fail distros
edit on 15-1-2013 by Superhans because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

You realize that Bodhi is on 2.X and you linked to a forum about 1.4?

How does that make sense and what is your point? that open source software and operating systems are, what?

You realize a great many of ATSs members are running Ubuntu or Debian based systems right?

Bodhi is based on Ububtu, and has not been abandoned.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

You realize a great many of ATSs members are running Ubuntu or Debian based systems right?

According to our stats, 0.4% of all visitors coming to ATS are using Linux-variant operating systems.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Sounds about right overall for the last several years. You don't expect that to increase? As more and more machines can't be updated from their recovery drives and XP goes bye bye in 2014?

Hello, by the by.

P.S. You have a howling carnivorous mouse out there. Be careful.
edit on 16-1-2013 by Xoanon because: mouse

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

So, here is Chrome, freshly installed. It sure is quick and snappy...

I've tried to recreate your problem, and can't.

I have three different Mac OSs, four different versions of Windows, Ubuntu, and a bevy of Android tablets at my disposal and for the life of me can't replicate what you see in any of the browsers/OS/hardware combinations.

If I can't see it happening, there's not much I can do to troubleshoot the problem.

The only possible thing I can suggest is to see if some really ad-heavy sites like Break.com, FastCoExist.com, and similar sites also have apparent problems. If they do, then it's a potential warning sign that your ISP is trying to inject ads of their own... I say that because you're seeing one more ad than we put on the page in that screenshot.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

I actually expect to see the desktop OS ratio stay the same, but shrink overall as tablets take over casual web access.

(hello)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Personally I think it was the site formatting that allowed for the Sloth to be clickable to the edges of the next inner frame. Somehow on my machines it caused the bleed over. I am totally guessing, being as it is that I am an imaginative newb.

I don't know either, it's gone now. I tried to make it come back, but I can't either. I had a feeling that it might be interesting to someone. Thanks for taking it as far as you did.

What on earth could be on my machine but no one else's that would allow me to be plagued by those blue hyperlinks?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

I'm more concerned about that fourth ad on the Live Headlines page. It's not ours.

If you see it again, right-click in Chrome and select "Inspect Element." This is important because then you're viewing the actual rendered source HTML of the page, which will always be different than what sits on the server. Then traverse up-and-down the HTML code until the fourth ad is highlighted on the page, then copy the code... send me a U2U to get my email, and email it to me.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join