It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Creeping Horror

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Hey folks,

Did you know that the adds are beginning to creep down and obscure the New Topics lists? I am no longer able to see the first three entries.

There is something inside of me, that I have little control over, that has a very defined limit for this kind of thing. Before I know it, my hand is clicking little x's and I am on to something else. I am thinking that it is the same for everyone.

It becomes like a bear trying to get the honey out of a beehive. Sometimes, there are too many bees, and the honey's not worth it.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Not seeing it on chromium with no addons, or on firefox with noscript addon.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Thanks,

I am using firefox with Ghostery and such installed.

I leave the adds turned on because I have been under the impression that we are mandated to do so as members.

This is going to come down to a matter of principal for me.

I am starting to think that the unspoken message is that we should fanagle our way around this with these types of add-ons to accommodate the ads.

This is getting ridiculous.

I shouldn't have to do anything special to make the adds get off the new topics list.

So is that it then? We are supposed to use add-ons and that sort of thing to bob and weave around the advertising?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Can you post up a screenshot? I just tried on a butt ass naked firefox portable, still nothing for me. Is it the tldr add creeping over for you?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Thanks for taking an interest...

Never looked better, right?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by C-JEAN

Yeah,

Thanks for the tip.

Personally I am tired of jumping through hoops to make this website tolerable.

For instance, the time required of me to post this stupid complaint thread and get that miserable screenshot has pretty much eaten up all the time and patience I have for ATS at the moment.

I had started out wanting to post my thread on English Hedgerows, and now I am just pissed, having spent my Sunday morning doing this.

I just don't think we should all be having to seek out exotic software solutions for ATSs advertising pollution.

Plus, I thought it was versus T&C to turn off the adds?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

...speechless.

edit on 13-1-2013 by Xoanon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I agree. I'd rather be reading about English hedgerows...

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
That only happens to me when I am not logged in. Try logging in and see if it clears up.

edit on 1-13-2013 by groingrinder because: edited to add picture

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Damn, that is pretty bad......

That is what my screen looks like, seems like you are somehow getting two square ads on the top left instead of one.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

I am logged in, look at my first screenshot.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
The ads pay for the site, deal with it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

The ads also get put on this website because of the member numbers. You don't pay for this site, but the ads do. Seeing as how we are the reason advertisers want space, I think this issue could be addressed. Could be something simple. No need to be snarky.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
When it comes to the things that are displayed on my monitor or stored on my HD, I make the final decision. Just like I decide who does and does not enter my home, I will self regulate all materials entering my computer and will pick and choose which I care to see.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I never visit the front/home page. I go right to the recent posts screen and bypass all of that. Voila.

Im happy with the ads. It keeps things free and offers enough money to keep the place running and maintained. Well.. except the old ad for teen wolf and the noisy ads.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blarneystoner

Originally posted by Superhans

Lame... spoken like a true sheep.

Spoken like a person who has never ran a website before that hosted more than 20 people or has any concept of what it takes to maintain a decent website with high traffic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join