It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff's Dept. Offers Free Firearms Training For Children

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

is recommended for children who received a new BB gun, shotgun or hunting rifle for Christmas or for those who may already have a gun.

Is that shotgun as in SHOTGUN! wtf?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon

is recommended for children who received a new BB gun, shotgun or hunting rifle for Christmas or for those who may already have a gun.

Is that shotgun as in SHOTGUN! wtf?

Yes, shot gun as in small calibre shot gun, such as a 20 gauge and 410
edit on 1/13/2013 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
There is no downside to this. Children watch guns used everyday on television. Teaching them proper respect for guns is common sense. They see on television how to pull the trigger. They don't learn to respect it or how to use it safely on television. If it saves one child from thinking there is nothing wrong with playing with it and accidentally shooting him/herself it is a great thing to do.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Yes, that's exactly what I think. It's as if you read my mind. Oh wait... no it isn't.

edit on 13-1-2013 by IvanAstikov because: itchy "enter" finger

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
reply to post by eXia7

Yes, that's exactly what I think. It's as if you read my mind. Oh wait... no it isn't.

Well, you haven't given me a proper response on your views then, I just figured since you were demonizing a topic such as this, it was how you felt.

You haven't really shown me a significant reason why this is a bad idea.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
There is no downside to this. Children watch guns used everyday on television. Teaching them proper respect for guns is common sense. They see on television how to pull the trigger. They don't learn to respect it or how to use it safely on television. If it saves one child from thinking there is nothing wrong with playing with it and accidentally shooting him/herself it is a great thing to do.

And if it produces one less considerate child that turns his gun on the rest of the class or his instructor, will it be seen as a failed project? I doubt it very much.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7

reply to post by eXia7

Well, you haven't given me a proper response on your views then, I just figured since you were demonizing a topic such as this, it was how you felt.

My view is that there are better ways of keeping your children safe than putting them in an environment full of tools designed to kill to produce any good.

Why don't you just rename your country Sparta and teach your children to be proper warriors, if you really want them fully prepared for the big, bad world ahead?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

Louisiana is the sportsman's paradise, our children learn firearms responsibility at an early age. we have a mandatory hunter safety program for every child who wants to use a firearm for sporting use. this program offered by Caddo parish is a good idea, if they don't abuse it as a way to compile a list of gun enthusiast . I got my first shotgun when i was 5, i never shot anyone, because i was taught what the weapon could do.

edit on 13-1-2013 by chopperswolf because: just because

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

How so? He knows what a gun is already. He knows what it does, he knows how to pull the trigger. What he doesn't know is the proper respect for it's use. Educating him and teaching him respect for it would more likely stop him from killing people with it, not make him kill with it. You seem to be equating training a child with giving a child a weapon. That is not the case.
edit on 13-1-2013 by jimmiec because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7

reply to post by eXia7

My view is that there are better ways of keeping your children safe than putting them in an environment full of tools designed to kill to produce any good.

Why don't you just rename your country Sparta and teach your children to be proper warriors, if you really want them fully prepared for the big, bad world ahead?

It just appears, like I said earlier, that you like to lump everybody into 1 group. You take a few instances of gun violence, and then you pin everybody who decides to own a firearm legally, and train with properly are all going to go out and shoot up a school or church.

It's about people's rights, they have a right to teach their child how to use a firearm properly, and they will continue to do so. Personally I'm for responsible gun ownership, and that will always be my stance.

Feel free to list your ways to protect yourself and your family, I have no problems with your methods, I just prefer mine

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec

How so? He knows what a gun is already. He knows what it does, he knows how to pull the trigger. What he doesn't know is the proper respect for it's use. Educating him and teaching him respect for it would more likely stop him from killing people with it, not make him kill with it. You seem to be equating training a child with giving a child a weapon. That is not the case.
edit on 13-1-2013 by jimmiec because: (no reason given)

How do you teach them to fully respect something as children without letting them see the full impact of what these weapons are capable of? Are they also going to be shown photos and real life video recordings of gunshot victims, to round out the experience?
edit on 13-1-2013 by IvanAstikov because: for clarity

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

No, you are completely wrong. If you are one of the uber-responsible firearm owners I've heard a lot about, my comments aren't aimed at you, they are targeted at the typical gun owner I see often on messageboard forums who treats anybody who doesn't see the need for firearms as weak and inferior human beings, unfit for survival in the brave new world after the revolution, ie, the same kind of people you should be trying to encouragel back into their holes yourself, if you have any common decency.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

reply to post by eXia7

No, you are completely wrong. If you are one of the uber-responsible firearm owners I've heard a lot about, my comments aren't aimed at you, they are targeted at the typical gun owner I see often on messageboard forums who treats anybody who doesn't see the need for firearms as weak and inferior human beings, unfit for survival in the brave new world after the revolution, ie, the same kind of people you should be trying to encouragel back into their holes yourself, if you have any common decency.

I fully see your side of the argument as well, it is possible for idiots to get guns, and I'm in favor of any ways to prevent irresponsible people from getting their hands on firearms.

But I believe with a topic like this, it spurs debate on the actual thought of teaching a child how to use a firearm, and it appears most in this thread seem to be in favor of a responsible approach.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I was six years old when my father gave me my first .22 Winchester rifle so I could go hunting with him. This is critical for all young kids to be taught. The very first thing he taught me was to fear that gun or any other. The second was his belt if I did one wrong thing with that gun while we were out hunting let alone never to be allowed to use it again.

I was not allowed to even hold that gun till we were in the woods when I was that young.

This is something that only wise Parents will do. I was all gun ho on hunting, my father saw a bird sitting in some brush so he had me shoot it. I just wounded it so he promptly made me go put it out of its misery so it would not suffer. As a little kid I then saw what it meant to kill something and I did not like the feeling for awhile until my dad explained to me why people hunted. Not for sport but to put food on their table that otherwise might not be there.

Thankfully we never needed food that way as we could afford to buy it but one day that may not always be the case. That is a life long lesson a real father teaches their kids!

We still went hunting a lot as a tradition that was more father son bonding time and enjoying nature more than killing anything. It wasn't later in life did my brother and friends get into hunting big time.

That also goes for protecting myself or my family. Everyone in my entire family knows how to shoot, some a lot better than others but when the pooh hits the fan they can and will always defend themselves and others who cant.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotsrevenge
I was six years old when my father gave me my first .22 Winchester rifle so I could go hunting with him. This is critical for all young kids to be taught. The very first thing he taught me was to fear that gun or any other. The second was his belt if I did one wrong thing with that gun while we were out hunting let alone never to be allowed to use it again.

I was not allowed to even hold that gun till we were in the woods when I was that young.

This is something that only wise Parents will do. I was all gun ho on hunting, my father saw a bird sitting in some brush so he had me shoot it. I just wounded it so he promptly made me go put it out of its misery so it would not suffer. As a little kid I then saw what it meant to kill something and I did not like the feeling for awhile until my dad explained to me why people hunted. Not for sport but to put food on their table that otherwise might not be there.

Thankfully we never needed food that way as we could afford to buy it but one day that may not always be the case. That is a life long lesson a real father teaches their kids!

We still went hunting a lot as a tradition that was more father son bonding time and enjoying nature more than killing anything. It wasn't later in life did my brother and friends get into hunting big time.

That also goes for protecting myself or my family. Everyone in my entire family knows how to shoot, some a lot better than others but when the pooh hits the fan they can and will always defend themselves and others who cant.

You make a good point, and I see the best way to teach children how to use a firearm properly, you should train them on small caliber firearms. And it's nice you bring up the hunting aspect, I see no problems in teaching a child how to hunt for their food, it's good to teach children an alternative method of survival than just running down to Mcdonalds and get a big mac.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

Loads of parents already give their kids guns and they teach them how to safely handle them with bb/airsoft/squirt guns long before they get to use any real ones. My parents never let me even shoot one but I grew up in New England. When I'd play with toy guns they made me treat it like a real one, don't point it at anyone or anything even the dog or wave it around in public. When I got to Texas that stuck with me.the first time I went shooting. I get it though, they scared me at first too

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

Was you taught at 6 yrs old that if someone attacked you with their fists and didn't desist when you screamed for help, then you were entitled to grab your Winchester and shoot that coward, should you get half a chance? If not, when were you taught that lesson?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Good for them. I learned to handle a gun and shoot very young, as did 90%+ of the kids in my area, even the girls. Been hunting, fishing and trapping since 10 years old, then that's normal for a country boy

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
onequestion...

Do these kids have responsible parents now for when they go home?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Ok I have been reading these post but really wtf are you talking about here.....are you just trolling the gun talks for kicks....or just takeing things to the extreme?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join