It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question for the British People

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavmas

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by pavmas

Go on pavmas, which laws would those be, that discriminate against Catholics. I am genuinely interested to know, so please educate me.

Act of Settlement 1701
www.royal.gov.uk...

It appears that you may well be about to get your wishes Pavmas.

Nick Clegg was accused of ‘opening a Royal Pandora’s Box’ last night over plans to change the laws of succession to the throne.
The Deputy Prime Minister told the Commons that rules giving precedence to men and the ban on heirs marrying Roman Catholics belonged to a ‘bygone era’.
The change will mean that if the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s first child, due in July, is a girl, she would ascend the throne even if she had brothers.
But MPs said the Succession to the Crown Bill was being ‘rushed’ through Parliament.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I certainly would support these reforms.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Please understand, I'm asking because I want to better understand the British people. I am not asking out of disrespect, so if this post has offended you, then I apologize.

Thanks in advance,

smylee

I must commend you on your level of politeness and RESPECT towards them. You would not receive that in return from them folks if it was reversed.

I assure you that. One can plainly see that over the ATS forums.

edit on 26-1-2013 by ResistTreason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Mankind can only be truly free when without monarchy!!!!

Monarchs are the slavers!!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ResistTreason

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Please understand, I'm asking because I want to better understand the British people. I am not asking out of disrespect, so if this post has offended you, then I apologize.

Thanks in advance,

smylee

I must commend you on your level of politeness and RESPECT towards them. You would not receive that in return from them folks if it was reversed.

I assure you that. One can plainly see that over the ATS forums.

edit on 26-1-2013 by ResistTreason because: (no reason given)

Thanks for the kind words, but I disagree.

Almost everyone I've come into contact with on ATS has been reasonably polite. Yes, there are the occasional few who like to call names and so forth, but my typical ATS experience is one of mutual respect.

And I've made lots of friends with British folks here...and I know by their posts and replies to me that they are polite folks.

But thanks for the thought. Starred

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

reply to post by smyleegrl

smylee,

I think you are asking in the wrong place if you want an accurate answer to this question. I believe many ATS'ers who are British will not appreciate our Monarchy because they are prone to believing conspiracy theorys, thats why we are here right? The truth is that most of society do not have much of an opinion on the Royals and then you get the polarised pro Royal's and Anti-Royal's of which I would say there seems to be about a 50/50 split. The last 12 months, with the Royal Wedding and the Olympics though has done the Monarchy a world of good as it has given back some national pride to some that had began to lose it.

I myself am very pro monarchy in its current format with its current incumbents. I personally think that the Royal Family keep their noses out, where it doesn't belong, whilst still providing us with a unique national identity. The Royal Family aside from a few like Andrew are great ambassedors for the UK and they work tirelessly. Our British heritidge is rich and our Monarchy is a big part of that, it is a constitutional Monarchy so that sits well with us.

You get those that moan about having to pay for them and that they are freeloaders, but the reality is that we each pay 20 pence a year towards our Monarchy in taxes and the money brought in for Tourism is exceptionally greater than what they cost us. Diplomatically as well they command a lot of respect around the globe mostly because they have done their role so well.

So be careful when you are listening to the Royal bashers on here, their voices are generally not as loud in a true cross section of British society.

lol thats like saying
Hitler kept his nose out of gassing all the jews.

They are at the very top and others suffer discrimination because of it.

Here you go smylee, this is the kind of person I warned you about. Anybody that displays this kind of hatred and at the same time does not provide any reasoned argument is in my opinion, not worth listening to.

M I hope that was not aimed at me.

I love my country' I have never backed any unjust laws.
Its the fact that my country hates me and feels that it okay to keep 300 year discrimination laws in place in 2013 denying me equal rights to my next door neighbour I have problems with.

And any right thinking person can see this as unjust, it creates divison and a sense of superiority on one side and a sense of loathing on the other.

Why would a country continue to support such injustice.

Basically, its because you are a papist! Simples ............

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
What is the general consensus about Charles taking over for the Queen when she passes?

After Diana died, there was a lot of mention here in the US that Brits, as a rule , wanted the crown to pass directly over Charles to William. That people found him boorish and Camilla repugnant... Is that still popular opinion? What is the likelihood of that happening?

At this rate, he could be into his 70's before he was crowned. I don't think anyone has been crowned at such an advanced age, have they?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Charles cannot refuse the crown technically to allow one of his children to inherit it so Charles would need to be crowned then abdicate so that the crown could be passed on to a younger generation, and it would take an act of parliament to change the rules

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Are you asking this question in order to find out even more about us than whether we believe in the paranormal and how old we are? Sorry- couldn't resist

I started off as being passionately anti-monarchy, but over the last few years have moved my position, although I am not a flag waver.
I think the 'Monarchy' is as corrupt as any part of the establishment, and has done or is aware of things being done that the public would not find acceptable, although sometimes things are done for the bigger picture and we can't be told why.
That said, lately I have been thinking about the Queen rather a lot! She is an intelligent, mature woman who has been doing her job for a long time. She has seen Prime Ministers come and go over the years and has accumulated a lifetime of knowledge about Her people and Country. I think we need the Queen more now than we have needed Her in many years. I hope that she steps in soon and 'advises' our gvt that they are making a right mess of things, unless, of course she already has and the gvt has no option to do anything differently because......?
She was also so amazing to stand in that boat for so long during the Jubilee, I think that took tremendous willpower for a woman of her age, I couldn't have done it my back would have seized up. Prince Philip too, I think it was their way of showing respect for the people. Then, of course there was the humour of the 007 stunt. Oh bother, I'm going to buy a flag and some bunting.
As for the rest of the Royal Family, I'm not so sure, they seem a bit loony tunes, and the hangers on should just get a proper job.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join