It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question for the British People

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I personally do not see why there should be any constitutional crisis should this event ever happen.

One of the ruling monarchs titles is Defender Of The Faith - The Church Of England.
Surely you are aware of The Reformation, The Glorious Revolution etc and the issue of religion during Elizabeth I reign and that of the following monarchs?

A Roman Catholic will never, ever be allowed to sit on the throne again.

I understand there is obviously some historical bad blood with Catholics and the UK, mostly bourne out of the dispute over Ireland.

It precedes the Irish problem by centuries.

But I do not see why belonging to any particular ethnic or religious group should be used against somebody, especially if their intentions are for the good.

Neither do I my friend, but we don't shape our laws and customs.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

I agree pavmas, but I do think that the Queen does treat all of us as equals. I think the disparity you mention is purely an issue with our laws and they need updating. I do not for one minute think that the Queen see's Catholics as lessers of protastants. She made a very brave visit to the Republic of Ireland just recently that shows that she does want to have greater relations with the Irish state which is prodominantly Catholic. Aside from quoting the law of the land, there is no evidence that I am aware of that indicates that the Queen discriminates against Catholics.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The simple fact of the matter is that Americans feel that they need a constitution and assault rifles to stop a government from becoming tyrannical.

We don't need any of that. The Queen could dissolve a government in the event it became tyrannical.
edit on 13/1/13 by SaltireWarrior because: Spelling.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by pavmas

.... and lets mention about The church Of England have people in the house of lords.

There are numerous Catholics in both The House Of Commons and The House Of Lords.

Cathollics cant change the law thats why discrimination is still in place.

Catholics have exactly the same voting rights as any other religion in the UK, including Anglians etc.

For Americans the only example I can try and give you is' if black people never had the vote in America then they would still be depending on white people to give them equal rights, as if you white and in power its not going to happen.

What utter nonsense.
You can not liken discrimination against Catholics here in the UK and the plight of Black Americans.

Britain set up the same in South Africa denying black people votes,

Although Brits were definately complicit in Apartheid it's got to be said that it's biggest advocates were Dutch Boers.

The Queen mother was a known racist

Was she?
Got to say that I've never heard anything about that - though I wouldn't be surprised.
But so what?
What exactly is your point?

who never ever wanted black south african to get the vote,

Well, it had absolutely nothing to do with her.

And exactly what is the relevance of any of that with regards to the topic under discussion.

I suspect you are trying to hijack this thread in an effort to voice your anti-monarchy feelings and opinions.

Why don't you start your own thread on that and I'm sure many of us will contribute to it.

What utter nonsense.
You can not liken discrimination against Catholics here in the UK and the plight of Black Americans.

or course I cant, because in America a black person can become president but you cant be monarch or prime minister in Britain if your catholic..

So a catholic in the Uk does not have the same rights as a Black person in the USA.

I was compairing years gone by when it would have been unthinkable to have a black person with equal right in the USA just as its unthinkable in Britain today to give catholics equal rights.

Some posters have said that it would be unthinkable to have a catholic monarch (read the posts) and this is 2013.

And you believe Im absurd.

So you believe that this discrimination is ok' as I have some of the rights that British people have' not all just some.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaltireWarrior
The simple fact of the matter is that Americans feel that they need a constitution and assualt rifles to stop a government from becoming tyrannical.

We don't need any of that, the Queen could dissolve a government that tried to become tyrannical.

What if the Queen were corrupt?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

But laws become obsolete as society changes. Many of todays society are Atheist and it will not be long before the majority belief in this country becomes Atheist. The Monarchy has to change with the times if it is to remain in power and so does the constitution. These laws need some serious review. What is the point in being the defender of Faith, when most of the people in the country believe that the faith being defended is a made up fairytale?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

She would lose the support of the British public and be removed.

CX

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I can't say anything more that what you've said.....thats pretty much how my opinion lies.

CX.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

The simple fact of the matter is that Americans feel that they need a constitution and assualt rifles to stop a government from becoming tyrannical.

We don't need any of that, the Queen could dissolve a government that tried to become tyrannical.

That is a very good point well made. I wonder is it possible to discuss the political US/UK differences without it turning into a gun control debate.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I'm certainly no fan of the monarchy. It's an outdated and antiquated system that should have been done away with a long time ago. But that's just my opinion, most people seem to like them. I just wonder ow long the whole thing wll go on for?

In their own words they are not a family but a "firm".
edit on 13-1-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

In everyday life Catholics are treat no different than people of any other religion / belief system.

However, when it comes to the alleged two most senior positions in UK society, the monarch and the Prime Minister then Catholics are barred from them and as such discriminated against.

When Blair was PM he couldn't alter the law and was forced to wait until he was no longer PM before he publicly announced his conversion to Catholicism, (not that he's a great advert for it).

For the record I was raised Catholic but consider myself Agnostic.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by pavmas

I agree pavmas, but I do think that the Queen does treat all of us as equals. I think the disparity you mention is purely an issue with our laws and they need updating. I do not for one minute think that the Queen see's Catholics as lessers of protastants. She made a very brave visit to the Republic of Ireland just recently that shows that she does want to have greater relations with the Irish state which is prodominantly Catholic. Aside from quoting the law of the land, there is no evidence that I am aware of that indicates that the Queen discriminates against Catholics.

I totally agree with you, and if you are going to have a figurehead then no one is better placed than the queen.

I actually like the Queen' she was trained for a job and does it well and if she met me in person she would treat me no different to you.

But its the establishment thats she represents I have problems with and the discrimination involved,

Think for one moment, all this banning Catholics to protect The Church Of England, what if the future monarch was Atheist, they would be snookered then would they not.

link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

You may not be a fan and that is your opinion that you have earned the right to have. I do wonder though, aside from you believing they are outdated (which in some respects I do agree with) do you have any other reason to think that the Monarchy has a negative impact on our society?

link   

Originally posted by hotel1

That is a very good point well made. I wonder is it possible to discuss the political US/UK differences without it turning into a gun control debate.

That wasn't my intention in starting this thread at all.

I was just curious.

link   

Then we'd remove her, like we did with some of her predecessors.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Then we'd remove her, like we did with some of her predecessors.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavmas

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by pavmas

I totally agree with you, and if you are going to have a figurehead then no one is better placed than the queen.

I actually like the Queen' she was trained for a job and does it well and if she met me in person she would treat me no different to you.

But its the establishment thats she represents I have problems with and the discrimination involved,

Think for one moment, all this banning Catholics to protect The Church Of England, what if the future monarch was Atheist, they would be snookered then would they not.

Yes Pavmas, we are beginning to agree. I have a list as long as my arm with things that I despise about our establishment and I think many aspects of our society and laws descriminate certain groups and that makes me sick. You have done well to highlight areas regarding the Catholic faith of which I never kinew before today so I commend you for that. But our establishments descrimination doesn't just come down to religious faiths, there are other groups as well. In fact I think that by far the largest group descriminated against is the poorest in our society, regardless of their colour, religion or gender.

But this thread is about our Royal Family and that is one thing that really makes me proud to be British.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

In everyday life Catholics are treat no different than people of any other religion / belief system.

However, when it comes to the alleged two most senior positions in UK society, the monarch and the Prime Minister then Catholics are barred from them and as such discriminated against.

When Blair was PM he couldn't alter the law and was forced to wait until he was no longer PM before he publicly announced his conversion to Catholicism, (not that he's a great advert for it).

For the record I was raised Catholic but consider myself Agnostic.

M. Trust me we are treated different, less so in England, but more so in Scotland, I have suffered discrimination in housing and the workplace because of it.
But none worth mentioning I have to admit since moving to England.

But it is a problem in to many parts of the UK.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

That is a valid question, and of course there are many who will tell you that HM is just the acceptable public face of The Square Mile ( Corrupt Masonic/Cabal Jewish Banking Cartel that secretly controls the world) so it comes down to what you actually believe, as opposed to what you have been told is true. Damn this thread is keeping me busy tonight, good thing I am on leave, and dont have to stag on as another running dog of capitalism in the morning.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I just don't like the way the British public fornicate over the queen and the rest of the firm. I don't like the idea of putting a very unimpressive family on a pedestal with no direct challenge.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join