It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question for the British People

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Severin

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Do you see them as (I hate to use this word, but none other comes to mind) a mascot of sorts, that represents your country, your values, your essence?

You're funny, I like that

Being Scottish by birth I can't say that I buy into all this (english) monarchy thing. Just recently I've been reading a very interesting and entertaining blog by a guy who has a quite, shall we say 'radical' views on the monarchy.

Please Be Warned- VERY Foul Language And Controversial Content Ahead...
Here's the link...Chris Spivey: Monarchy

The concept of the UK was Scottish at its inception, and many of the driving forces behind the subsequent imperial global expansion, such as The Bank of England were conceived by Scottish business acumen. It must be very comfortable to be jointly responsible for so many things but have another nation to set blame at the feet of.

Kind regards

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

Pavmas,

Again, can I ask you why exactly are you blaming the Monarchy for laws that are not favourable to you and discriminate? It is the elected government that holds the power to make and remove laws from our charter. Why do you not understand this and continue to aim your hatred at the Monarchy?
edit on 13-1-2013 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

As far as I am aware there is talk of eventually repealing the law that prohibits Catholics to marry into the Royal Family.

Let's be honest though, legal or not, there would be uproar if one ever did and if a Catholic was ever to become Heir Apparent I suspect there would a constitutional crisis to rival anything witnessed before.
The purists would never allow such a thing.
Think of The Reformation etc.

It will also end the ban on anyone in the line of succession marrying a Roman Catholic.

The succession bill will require amendments to some of Britain's key constitutional documents, including the Bill of Rights and Coronation Oath Act of 1688, the 1701 Act of Settlement and the 1707 Act of Union between Scotland and England.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

You're right, there have been many incredible Scottish thinkers, inventors and activists throughout history. IMO Unfortunately the last great one we had was John Smith, he died suddenly which of course paved the way for the rise of New Labour and Tony Bliar and we all know what happened then.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Severin

Yes Tony Blair, one of the Scottish contributions towards the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland that we are not thankful for

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Originally posted by pavmas

reply to post by pavmas

Go on pavmas, which laws would those be, that discriminate against Catholics. I am genuinely interested to know, so please educate me.

Act of Settlement 1701
www.royal.gov.uk...

Thanks for the ancient history lesson, but I thought you were going to provide us with some "current" "laws" that discriminated against Catholics?

Ok here is one in 2010
David cameron was made prime minister.

You are aware that the law prevents catholics from being prime minister in Britain also

forums.overclockers.co.uk...

They dont need to bring in new discrimination laws whilst the same one are in force, cant be monarch cant be prime minister, and lets mention about The church Of England have people in the house of lords.

Cathollics cant change the law thats why discrimination is still in place.

For Americans the only example I can try and give you is' if black people never had the vote in America then they would still be depending on white people to give them equal rights, as if you white and in power its not going to happen.

Britain set up the same in South Africa denying black people votes, The Queen mother was a known racist who never ever wanted black south african to get the vote, read this link just to seee what these royals really think.
www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I personally do not see why there should be any constitutional crisis should this event ever happen. I understand there is obviously some historical bad blood with Catholics and the UK, mostly bourne out of the dispute over Ireland. But I do not see why belonging to any particular ethnic or religious group should be used against somebody, especially if their intentions are for the good.

I personally would be saddened to see any form of activists against a Catholic marrying into the Royal Family.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Severin
reply to post by hotel1

You're right, there have been many incredible Scottish thinkers, inventors and activists throughout history. IMO Unfortunately the last great one we had was John Smith, he died suddenly which of course paved the way for the rise of New Labour and Tony Bliar and we all know what happened then.

John Smith was without doubt one of those rarest things i.e. a good man in politics. Unfortunately as M1983 rightly points out his untimely demise gave us Blair/Brown. I think we are in danger of going into Topical Drift.

link   

I didn't say we were all perfect

link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

As far as I am aware there is talk of eventually repealing the law that prohibits Catholics to marry into the Royal Family.

Let's be honest though, legal or not, there would be uproar if one ever did and if a Catholic was ever to become Heir Apparent I suspect there would a constitutional crisis to rival anything witnessed before.

It will also end the ban on anyone in the line of succession marrying a Roman Catholic.

The succession bill will require amendments to some of Britain's key constitutional documents, including the Bill of Rights and Coronation Oath Act of 1688, the 1701 Act of Settlement and the 1707 Act of Union between Scotland and England.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Its talk, and has been for years, the new stumbling block is we need the commonwealths agreement.

The commonwealth met and decided females could be the monarch if first born thats now the case, carholic equal rights was not even on the agenda.

They have no intention of ever changing it.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

Ok Pavmas,

Like I have already stated, I agree with your sentiments and would support a petition for the laws to be changed. Tony B.Liar was a catholic but lied about it, why did he not change the law, he had the power to?

At the end of the day, your argument is being aimed in the wrong direction and is pretty much irrelevant on this topic about the current Royal Family. Laws are the sole responsibility of the government, you are not banned from voting right? Use your vote democratically to vote for a party with the policy of changing these crazy laws that you mention. I think in the modern society of today, we have enough liberal thinking voters to get some real action on this.

But I digress from the OP's topic. This is not about religion or our laws, this is about the Monarchy, so lets get back to that shall we.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavmas

Originally posted by Freeborn

www.bbc.co.uk...

Its talk, and has been for years, the new stumbling block is we need the commonwealths agreement.

The commonwealth met and decided females could be the monarch if first born thats now the case, carholic equal rights was not even on the agenda.

They have no intention of ever changing it.

There would be uproar if a catholic ever did' so we will just discriminate against them, ok so leave the monarch bit, why cant a catholic become an elected prime minister, eh uproar again.

And Britain the great defender of democracy hits a home run again.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

Ok Pavmas, you make a good point. I think it is time for you to start your own thread regarding Catholic descrimination in British society. This thread is not about that.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

reply to post by pavmas

Pavmas,

Again, can I ask you why exactly are you blaming the Monarchy for laws that are not favourable to you and discriminate? It is the elected government that holds the power to make and remove laws from our charter. Why do you not understand this and continue to aim your hatred at the Monarchy?
edit on 13-1-2013 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

Because the Monarch takes the oath to defend the throne against papists ( thats me)

I dont get what you mean' if the head of the KKK takes an oath against Black people, should black people blame the government.

She took an oath against me' I have never met the woman and never said anything about her or her family, she attacked me and my beliefs, so according to you Im to blame for complaining about being discriminated against.

Im actually lost for words

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I'm a 28 Year Old. Normal 'Peasant' lol from quite a rough part of the UK and whilst I know a fair few people may not like the monarchy or complain about them I absolutely love them, especially our Queen. I can't even imagine Britain without Elizabeth and it will be such a sad day when she is not around. It's tradition and history for us, it's a reminder as to who we are during times when our country is being transformed and British people are declining in numbers to an ever rising mass immigration population. They also bring in so much money to this country via the interest the outside world has to our Monarchy and history. A lot of dumbos don't recognize that and complain about having to pay tiny amounts to keep them.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

.... and lets mention about The church Of England have people in the house of lords.

There are numerous Catholics in both The House Of Commons and The House Of Lords.

Cathollics cant change the law thats why discrimination is still in place.

Catholics have exactly the same voting rights as any other religion in the UK, including Anglians etc.

For Americans the only example I can try and give you is' if black people never had the vote in America then they would still be depending on white people to give them equal rights, as if you white and in power its not going to happen.

What utter nonsense.
You can not liken discrimination against Catholics here in the UK and the plight of Black Americans.

Britain set up the same in South Africa denying black people votes,

Although Brits were definately complicit in Apartheid it's got to be said that it's biggest advocates were Dutch Boers.

The Queen mother was a known racist

Was she?
Got to say that I've never heard anything about that - though I wouldn't be surprised.
But so what?
What exactly is your point?

who never ever wanted black south african to get the vote,

Well, it had absolutely nothing to do with her.

And exactly what is the relevance of any of that with regards to the topic under discussion.

I suspect you are trying to hijack this thread in an effort to voice your anti-monarchy feelings and opinions.

Why don't you start your own thread on that and I'm sure many of us will contribute to it.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BurialKing
I'm a 28 Year Old. Normal 'Peasant' lol from quite a rough part of the UK and whilst I know a fair few people may not like the monarchy or complain about them I absolutely love them, especially our Queen. I can't even imagine Britain without Elizabeth and it will be such a sad day when she is not around. It's tradition and history for us, it's a reminder as to who we are during times when our country is being transformed and British people are declining in numbers to an ever rising mass immigration population. They also bring in so much money to this country via the interest the outside world has to our Monarchy and history. A lot of dumbos don't recognize that and complain about having to pay tiny amounts to keep them.

I would be prepared to bet that many of those that complain the loudest about the monarchy contribute very little if anything to the UK but happily take that which is given freely.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

I think that is an unfair statement and very generalistic and indeed weakens the valid arguments put forward for pro Monarchy.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

reply to post by pavmas

Ok Pavmas, you make a good point. I think it is time for you to start your own thread regarding Catholic descrimination in British society. This thread is not about that.

Its not about catholic or protestants

I have a question and I hope you can help me better understand this. My question: how does the average British citizen view the monarchy? .

The question was to British people on their view, I told mine, and was questioned so supplied links.

So because Im sticking up well for my views you think I should start another thread. catholics v protestants.

no im not concerned about religion a muslim could be monarch for all I care as long as he was monarch for all the people.

My argument is in the right thread.
My view on the monarch are that Im happy with it as long as the figurehead represents all the peopl and not some, and if that cant happen then disband it and have an elected figurehead.

A monarch that does not treat all the people equal is unfair and unjust.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

reply to post by hotel1

I think that is an unfair statement and very generalistic and indeed weakens the valid arguments put forward for pro Monarchy.

I did say many, I did not say all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join