It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did ATS die or am I just getting old ?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I'm somewhat new, so don't have anything to compare it to, but looking at the board today it is evident there is a lot of polarity here. We have the UFO "believers" and the "skeptics", and we have the "conspiracy nuts" at one end, and the "sheep" and "shills" at the other end.

I am assuming when the site started out it was filled with a small selection of conspiracy theorists who were basically on the same side. Personally, I think this is a good thing and the board is in a good place, but more focus needs to be put on debate rather than personal attacks based on the box someone falls into.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by felonius
reply to post by cody599

Yep. The "body" is kicking but the "heart" is dead as a parrot.

Sock puppets and gov. ops are all over this...or at very least it seems as such.

You saw what happened with guys like protoplasmic traveler.

I pretty much just lurk now.

Felonius, I think you've struck the heart of the issue here. We appreciate people who are genuine and express themselves honestly. Be they correct or not, they are sincere. We know there are fakes here now and they are soulless and harmful.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raxoxane
I don't know what ATS used to be like,only having been a member for a year.What i DO know,threads like this make me feel unwelcome on this site.

If I made you feel unwelcome my sincerest apologies
That was certainly not my intention.
Many of the newer members post interesting threads that I thouroughly enjoy participating in, maybe we just have a troll problem.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Wow thanks for all the input guys.
I stand somewhat corrected on a couple of points.
Maybe we just need the troll spray and a touch of CPR.
Not dead just unconcious and in need of some loving care. I'll take the first shift I can't watch a loved one die without my damndest to help.

So................. what conspiracy ? There's no conspiracies here ................... move along and be a good little sheep

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by JDmOKI
reply to post by cody599

People tend to stand on a "soap box" and flame anyone who has a differing opinion.

This is because we are polarized. The debates are ending and the people are choosing sides more and more.
Our unesteemed government and media have polarized us. Our differences have become ideologically defined.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by cantyousee

Then surely sites like this should help us depolarise ? Not sure if that's a word but you get my drift

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
reply to post by cantyousee

Then surely sites like this should help us depolarise ? Not sure if that's a word but you get my drift

If it wasn't for one thing, I would say there is hope in what you said. That one thing being..."Those who want our guns are either evil or ignorant and you cannot debate with either of those. I guess the debate will continue cause people are just that way but mark those in government and media who foster this debate and make sure they are on the front lines if this comes to war. I don't want to see civil war but as long as we allow enemies of the constitution to bring stuff like this up for debate then we are all toying with war. Better to stop and realize how good we got it right now..today and try to fix what we can.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

I just call it like I see it. If I smell BS, I say so.

Now, I am all for civility and the Mods are dead straight on about "us" behaving nicely regardless of if we think the other member is wrong. A heated discussion is fine but a brawl is just pointless.

Neither will change their mind. Zero sum gain.

Now,

When we get mass messages from "on high" saying we cant discuss situation "X" because its "callous"...thats running damn close to censorship. Posting things from the public record should be kosher as well...its public record. I dont agree with saying that "Mister X is a pedophile because i say so!". That is libel. If the public record says "Mister X was convicted of being a pedo after 40 people simultaneously saw him do the deed prior to their kicking his ass"....thats different.

If there is evidence of something hinky, it needs to be discussed. PERIOD.

The Sandy Hook situation is so full of weirdness, its unreal. With people that appear to be acting a part when (in normal situations) they would be beside themselves in anger or grief....thats a red flag from hell.

yeah. Sometimes uncomfortable things are to be discussed. Its the nature of what a conspiracy site is. The site is ATS, NOT Romper Room.

To not talk about the bizarre nature of Robbie Parkers interview or the other interview with the little girl and her parents in the parking lot is like talking about 911 without mentioning some of the "hijackers" being found quite alive. There is someone feeding BS and they need to be found out.

I'm not afraid to discuss anything, anywhere, at any time. If I can do it respectfully with other members then game on. If it gets my posts dumped and my account banned so be it. I'll be in good company with some of the luminaries that (at one time) made this site rock and roll. I'll just be a permanant lurker. There are sites that remember the halcyon days of ATS and keep that spirit alive. Nothing is taboo there. This is not to say they wont shoot you down if a theory is off.

Not terribly interested in the semi frequent "chastisement" from uber mods either....or sycophantic followers.

Accept nothing and doubt everything. Anything less and why have a site up at all.

Maybe I'm getting old too. Damn sure crotchety and my "giveadamn" is busted.

Gott mit uns.
edit on 14/1/13 by felonius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by felonius

I get what you're saying.
Was kind of surprised, this being a conspiracy site & all, that no one had noted the existence of the "paid to post" members yet. Good call.

They're here.

We've encountered them in the past when addressing Cdn. political issues on forums. They live.

Re: Sandy Hook yes the whole thing reeks. Here's 1 for measure - the SH video that was featured in a thread here within the last few hours, its a 30 min. compilation, and does a good job to tie up some loose ends.
The channel its posted on was started on Jan. 7/13. It has 2 videos (on SH), and has over 9000 subscribers... the other video, the 30 min. one, has just under 4 mil views.
To note, I'm all for uncovering the truth.

Either this topic is the talk of the world, or posted on just about every social media site, but in a world where it can be tough to keep people's interest for longer than 30 seconds, I found it rather interesting so many views in so short a time with such a lengthy video.
The channel is based out of Canada.

Whats your take on that? & thanks for your earlier reply and watchful eye.

edit on 15-1-2013 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: wrong #

edit on 15-1-2013 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

your avatar is misleading

At least to me, thankyou for taking the time to reply

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Let me know where you go so I can follow.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The poster is right. Now that ATS is main stream and full of fad conspiracy theorists, it has lost its soul.

When I started ATS, if you said something, or started a thread, you better be able to back it up.

Because the theory was, that if you ever want to convince the public, you have to vet each other first.

That theme is long dead. No one bothers to even try to find a halfway decent source, and anything goes. It has been pretty bastardized.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Not just that.
I posted an apology and a u2u for making a newer member feel unwelcome. Call it old school
I just miss the what was almost obligitary respect. Hey Ho life goes on

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsEvolutionBaby

I get what you're saying.
Was kind of surprised, this being a conspiracy site & all, that no one had noted the existence of the "paid to post" members yet. Good call.

They're here.

We've encountered them in the past when addressing Cdn. political issues on forums. They live.

Re: Sandy Hook yes the whole thing reeks. Here's 1 for measure - the SH video that was featured in a thread here within the last few hours, its a 30 min. compilation, and does a good job to tie up some loose ends.
The channel its posted on was started on Jan. 7/13. It has 2 videos (on SH), and has over 9000 subscribers... the other video, the 30 min. one, has just under 4 mil views.
To note, I'm all for uncovering the truth.

Either this topic is the talk of the world, or posted on just about every social media site, but in a world where it can be tough to keep people's interest for longer than 30 seconds, I found it rather interesting so many views in so short a time with such a lengthy video.
The channel is based out of Canada.

Whats your take on that? & thanks for your earlier reply and watchful eye.

edit on 15-1-2013 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: wrong #

edit on 15-1-2013 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: (no reason given)

Folks are waking up is my take.

We have been told for the time past SH that the consensus of the "people" are for gun control measures being cranked up to 11.

Yeah. Thats why many of the top domestic manufacturers are shutting down new orders BECAUSE OF INABILITY TO KEEP UP WITH NEW ORDERS!

Maybe our ideas of gun control are different? Semantics? yeah. Thats it.

I've no idea if anyone was actually dinked at SH. Suspicions and knowledge are two different birds...I'll use my gut on this one since thats all i have. Regardless, KIDS ARE BEING USED TO PUSH AGENDA!

This is pure evil and our Maker will have its day when we stand for judgement before said Maker.

All we can do is speak Truth to Power.

Gott mit uns.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

your avatar is misleading

At least to me, thankyou for taking the time to reply

How so?

The motto translates to "in spirit and truth". It and the dragon have a special meaning to me.

The WW1 German Ensign is a reminder that the Fatherland had a history prior to bilateral travesties of WW2.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Thank you Cody, apology accepted, and seeing it was'nt your intention to make newer members feel they are the cause of the devolution of the site,maybe its not even necessary to apologise.However,it IS nice of you,and i very much appreciate it.I,as a newer member,do find this an amazing site,offering so much,covering such an enormous amount of topics,and yet it also offers forums for plain laidback chat+making friends,for those who want that.Its very cohesive,in that one can keep a bead on not just the latest global goings-on,matters+people that bear watching,medical info,etc.but i could find advice on longterm food storage,tips on animal care,things to make me laugh,personal opinions,and why those opinions were formed,eg.ITS ONE GREAT SITE! The hubby's opinion,that its a psy-op,does'nt matter either,if this site is such,its a psy-op that i for one,at least can use to my own advantage also;-) My only dislike on ATS,is the fact that in the UF0/Grey Area and Philosophy+Metaphysics forums,there are so many downright rude,disrespectful members-who will reply only to tell the OP that he/she has mental illness,or are just plainly an idiot.This i feel,is detrimental to ATS.In fact,often i will see the OP and members who reply,being accused as delusional or BS artists for their speaking of experiences in the metaphysical/supernatural.WORSE,being accused of thinking they're "special" or "superior". WHICH IS THE MOST LAUGHABLE HYPOCRISY-to basically tell some one:"Because I have'nt experienced this,its bull +you're a narcissict who needs psychotropic drugs" Anyway,it was nice of you,i wish you a very good day.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   

So I've been a member here for a while now.
It doesn't make me clever or give me rights, but it does give me a retrospective view of ATS.
I've had fun and mental jousts. Some won, many lost, and my opinion occasionally rerouted.
As I remember we used to present an argument or theory and debate it, but now it seems we present the be all and end all scenario and challenge others to shoot us down.
It's not that ATS is irrelivant. Just kinda lost it's soul.
Am I wrong

I can never decide whether it has changed or whether I've just been there, done that too many times. You can, after all, only have the same discussion so many times. So, I get what I get out of it, don't take it very seriously and stay away when it gets too boring. That way, I'm not spoiling the fun of those who are coming to this for the first time, but still around, just on the very rare off-chance something new and interesting turns up. Or in the huge, and now largely unrealistic hope, that it goes up that notch towards being a real exchange of knowledge and ideas. There's a lot of drivel on here these days admittedly...but that was bound to happen after conspiracy theories went mainstream. And sadly, while there are a lot of people that read about conspiracy theories on here, there are much fewer actually developing their own theories, like there were when I joined, most just quote material from other sites, rather than show any opinion or insight of their own. The most popular threads are like children's picture books and appeal to the lowest common denominator...that's why they are popular I suppose...and require little thought or engagement to follow.

So, maybe it hasn't lost it's soul, but it definately has lost it's edge.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join