It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did ATS die or am I just getting old ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Wait a minute - this is one of those trick questions isn't it??!!?

Well - I'm gonna change that..

"Did ATS die or am I just getting old ?"
A) It died
B) You are getting old
C) Both A & B

I'm picking C.
At least that is the case for me.

Seriously though it is the case for me. Like BH and yourself I do miss the old ATS. But it has changed and its the reason I lurk much of the time instead of post. But, I've changed too as I've gotten older. Threads that I recognize I once would have posted in, I no longer do - I often just don't want the resulting hassle.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

I do get into some dumb arguments on ATS, I'll admit. I just notice how negative and unhealthy they have become more and more. I am trying really hard not to get caught up into such discussions anymore, since they go absolutely nowhere

I'm not really pointing fingers, just making an observation I've noticed.

Great episode btw

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
It seems like everything has gotten polarized and people are just making up sensationalist claims with no backing a lot of the time? I think ATS is still very useful for getting the news, and also it is a great archive for research.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Maybe is time to open your own forum.
Or open sub forum here on ats, for seniors and recognized members who havevalid backgroun.
Im not a senior, but im tired also of "fresh im enlighten and right seein all kids" with no valid respected background

Regards,
me

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
ATS has changed many times...all have their good and bad points depending on your time here. I still like the people and selective threads...that will continue well into the future.

In life there is one constant....change....learn to change with it and accept the newer construct....heck, just enjoy the interaction with the members. ATS is what we make of it.....

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
So I've been a member here for a while now.
It's not that ATS is irrelevant. Just kinda lost it's 'sou'l.
Am I wrong

I don't think so at all. I just know that if I post in opposition to another's post, I will be shot down, so I don't bother.

When it reaches the point of not caring, it isn't worth the use of trying!

edit on 13-1-2013 by canadiansenior70 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I don't let others bring me down. I post today exactly as I did in years past. I think some of my rough edges and long held beliefs have eroded (biblical homosexuality laws) being an example. Just post as a friend with understanding even to those that smite you.

You will be more respected and trusted with that attitude imo.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Yep. The "body" is kicking but the "heart" is dead as a parrot.

Sock puppets and gov. ops are all over this...or at very least it seems as such.

You saw what happened with guys like protoplasmic traveler.

I pretty much just lurk now.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
Yup. That's what happens when conspiracy theories become part of popular culture and a fad at that.

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Now I need to find a new fringe culture... *sigh

Originally posted by yourmaker
It's a reflection of the times. What did you expect as the technology spreads to 'lesser' minds? Quantity over quality as we progress... ironic? Indeed.

All of the posts quoted above are indicative of the arrogance of this forum and other websites like it.

There's always people moaning that people don't "wake up" to the "truth" around them and such. But once there are signs of people paying attention, it seems these very people aren't happy. Why? Because it takes away what makes them feel special and "above the mainstream." They can no longer look down their nose and say they know something others don't.

So in the end, it seems there really isn't a desire to help people. It's a lot of selfish people thinking up of the wildest ideas to get attention and get their ego rubbed.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Famous and favorite quote:

Be the change you want to see in the world/site.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
ATS didn't die, in fact it is still the most open minded site on the net. The staff here let's us talk about things openly that other hardcore or fringe sites won't even. So let's not blame the site, it's the people. The site seems to be suffering from what all other sites are, influx of the social media noobs. Sometimes I get so pissed with one segment I find myself aligning with the other, even if it's stance is deplorable, just to spite the majority.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I'm okay with the information being presented as it is now since I can filter style for substance, however, there is something to be said for mutual respect and a level of decorum. I would suggest you consider that there is a positive side to the site becoming more mainstream. First, more people are waking up and are interested in a site like ATS and second, there is a greater diversity of opinion. The more minds we get focused on solving the worlds problems the better chance we have.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
In my opinion, ATS has, and is still going strong. We still have great contributing members here...and i can go and name a whole list of them.

However great that is though, there is no doubt in my mind that ATS has started to "die." I would say it has definitely lost a lot of its appeal over time. Members have come and gone, and with them, the general ideology of civility. Every day, one knows what each thread will entail: countless arguing and bull# from the majority of the participants.

There is no more debating anymore...it is their way or the highway...unfortunately.

edit on 13-1-2013 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
... it is a great archive for research.

Agreed. Was just back there in the dusties. Plenty to read.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I don't know what ATS used to be like,only having been a member for a year.What i DO know,threads like this make me feel unwelcome on this site.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by felonius
reply to post by cody599

Sock puppets and gov. ops are all over this...or at very least it seems as such.

Felonius was the first one to address it?

I can see how social sites like facebook have turned some ATS replies into plain catcalls, or the like.
The quality of spelling and grammar has sadly dived.
The terms Juggernog posted re: comments in other forms of media: "stupid left wing liberals" and "ignorant right wing neocons" also come from a "playbook".

A few threads exist on ATS of the ones paid to post. I would bet big that there are many of them here, posting like mad puppets.
I believe they are here because of the quality of the threads in the days gone by, as noted. The stuff that established ATS as one of the most popular conspiracy sites - little too much truth-tellin' goin' on here at times, said they.
Thankful for the ones who still post the true rabbit holes. When the de-railers step in, know that your topic is on the right track!

edit on 14-1-2013 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: add links

edit on 14-1-2013 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: links didn't work

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TravisBickle451

You may not seem to realize that there are real conspiracies at play and plenty of false conspiracies that are put out there to keep people from getting to the root of things. The problem I have is when people just latch onto their favourite conspiracy, regardless of whether it is relevant or not. If you have a problem with my opinion in this matter, than you are free to ignore it. You complaining about my "arrogance" is just as arrogant as you claim that I am. Fact of the matter, the core problems in modern society are not nearly as exciting as what most "conspiracy theorists" want to believe. When it comes down to it, I'm not interested in conspiracy theories. I am interested in conspiracy FACTS, which are well documented (real documents and books btw, not just websites) if people would only go and look for it. People would rather put their trust in someone else to do their research for them, though, and that I am not okay with.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

See, that's the problem right there. You should not be interested in these things because there is a culture based around it. I don't agree with 90% of the people on this site simply because it has become yet another way for people to "fit in" in a world where they just don't fit in, just like goths, emo kids, fake nerds, gamers, etc. What happens when something becomes a fad is it becomes completely diluted by deluded people who will just believe whatever they think will help them fit in with this "culture." Truth seeking is not a culture, it is a way of life, and if you do not agree with me, I will not compromise my understandings just to fit in here. That's something that I see far too many of you guys doing. Either that or just arguing with people for the sake of arguing. Either way, most of you will never see eye to eye with me and I will never see eye to eye with most of you, and I'm perfectly okay with that.
edit on 14/1/2013 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

You shouldn't worry about whether you are welcome or not. If you have an understanding that you wish to share, than share it, but don't expect to find much valuable information on this site. It is totally diluted. All it is good for is platonic discussion. If you take it as anything more than that, than maybe you are right and you don't belong here. And believe me, I intend no offense with that statement. If you care about what others think, than why are you trying to find the truth anyways, when all that will get you is ostracized from 99% of society? The thing about smart people is they sound like crazy people to dumb people, and most people are just plain dumb, which is starting to flood into this site, like all others.
edit on 14/1/2013 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I understand some of the comments here, but i wonder if much of that is because after many years of being on ATS, you have seen it all.

Ok not all, but most. When you first get here it's a massive eye opener, you spend every waking hour going through thread after thread of subjects you'd never even heard about. There is TONS to look at.

Years down the line now though, we've read a large amount of the juicy stuff. Yes now and again the subject will come up again, maybe in a thread that's not so well authored, maybe better....however if you know the subject inside out, i'm betting many people skip it.....and wait for that next new and huge thread.

All those great juicy threads that we saw when we first arrived, they weren't posted daily, far from it, they came around once in a blue moon.

In any generation there will be good and bad posters, there was back then, there is now. I think the worst thing a person can do is think the older ones are/were better on the forums. I've been here a few years now, yet my ability to construct a massively juicy thread is non-existent compared to some of the members half my age here.

So i add to threads where i can in the best way i can.

Behavior can be just as bad in the elders too....stubbornness can be as annoying as any other trait.

I think...or should i say i know....as we get older we get less tolerant too. That can be a hindrance on the boards sometimes.

We just have to remember, huge stories that make up the best threads do not come daily. In the mean time, just add to the site as best you can.

CX.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join