It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did ATS die or am I just getting old ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
So I've been a member here for a while now.
It doesn't make me clever or give me rights, but it does give me a retrospective view of ATS.
I've had fun and mental jousts. Some won, many lost, and my opinion occasionally rerouted.
As I remember we used to present an argument or theory and debate it, but now it seems we present the be all and end all scenario and challenge others to shoot us down.
It's not that ATS is irrelivant. Just kinda lost it's soul.
Am I wrong

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
So I've been a member here for a while now.
It doesn't make me clever or give me rights, but it does give me a retrospective view of ATS.
I've had fun and mental jousts. Some won, many lost, and my opinion occasionally rerouted.
As I remember we used to present an argument or theory and debate it, but now it seems we present the be all and end all scenario and challenge others to shoot us down.
It's not that ATS is irrelivant. Just kinda lost it's soul.
Am I wrong

Your probably somewhat wrong.

judging by your date, your part of the ATS seniors...there was a lot less people back then.
With more and more people comes more and more threads, and harder to find the gems by "serious conspiracy theorists"..but those threads are still out there.
The problem is spotting them of course.

I did a thread just now addressing something similar (check profile if interested). So, your observation isn't lacking..just perhaps perspective on the sheer amount of contributions.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I have noticed this recently as well. People tend to stand on a "soap box" and flame anyone who has a differing opinion.

I am really sick of the my country is this or this country is evil because... debate. We are truly divided on ATS. Specifically the US members. I'm honestly done trying to prove I'm not the ignorant American they see on TV

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I dont think youre wrong at all. I have been noticing a similar thing for a while now as well. Though I think there should be something said for getting older. So much of this stuff we see over and over again. It loses its punch after a while. The more I dig the more I am thinking that the writings here tend to be more off base than normal.

I will say that I have become more of a skeptic in the last year or so. Not entirely but some things I was absolutely certain of before, I have started to rethink. Although I cannot say that it is me that is changing or the writings here. EIther way the fact remains that I am getting less and less valuable information from this site everyday.

There is still great stuff here but it is almost all using the search function and not in any of the new conversations.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JDmOKI

sorry man had to do it

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I don't think you're wrong about the situation, maybe about losing the soul.
There's been a huge influx of new members, and obviously a changing demographic - we don't know how many 13 year olds are on this forum. So much of what I've seen to be obviously challenging has been from newer members - these folks could be any age, but one fact is inescapable, that you've been here (ATS) for years and are mature in your expectations. I've noticed quite a few formerly prolific posters aren't starting new threads often, when they do the craftsmanship is obvious. Quality is being overrun by quantity in a rush to get something, anything out to the forum for discussion and comment (or stars & flags).

One thing is the constant attention-seeking that seems evident using the "new topics firehose": there's a tremendous amount of cross-posting and duplication among sub-forums, and mere rants appearing as breaking news, thread terminations, etc. As for myself, if I could ever get caught up with ATS reading, I might have the mental space to start a thread about something - but as it currently exists, separating the wheat from the chaff is a full time job for the readership.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

judging by your date, your part of the ATS seniors

just getting me walking frame

luckily my mind is still free

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
You can phrase it any way you want. "Lost its soul" is as good as any.
My perspective is that it has changed. It's not what it used to be, but what is? Certainly not me. My personal rule is that as long as I'm getting some enjoyment here, I'll be around. When that ends, I will find something else to do.

I LONG for the old days on ATS, but that's just not realistic. Too many new and younger members make it what it is. I barely even open threads anymore because I know what they're going to say. And when I give in and do, I see I'm right. Sadly. Yes, we had some great times in the past, but that's in the past.

Continue to contribute your best and when it stops serving you, find something else to do. But you won't change ATS beyond what you actually contribute.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Far as I'm concerned ATS died a long time ago. I remember the first time I ever came to this site, the forum was a small chunk of it and on the main page, there was an uber-cool zoomable sat-image of Area-51 that you could zoom in so close you could see people walking alongside the hangars. What ATS has turned into since is just a glorified watering hole, mostly for people who have no real interest in the truth. The only thing 90% of ATSers have interest in is showing everybody else how "right" they are and how wrong everyone who disagrees with them are. I have been lurking around ATS since '99 and I've yet to see a single person admit that they were wrong or have any significant change of viewpoint because of something they read here. Then there's the people that don't seem to realize, no matter how hard you try to beat it into their thick skulls, that everything said on this site is an opinion and nothing but, which makes hammering for sources absolutely ridiculous if you ask me. As far as I'm concerned, if something is said that piques your interest, the onus is on you to go out and do some reading about it. Only after that should anything be debated, unless someone else has some previous research under their belt which may add to the conversation. And no, Google and Wikipedia are not viable research tools in this corporatized day and age. Sorry....little mini-rant there lol. Stay frosty.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by JDmOKI
reply to post by cody599

I have noticed this recently as well. People tend to stand on a "soap box" and flame anyone who has a differing opinion.

I am really sick of the my country is this or this country is evil because... debate. We are truly divided on ATS. Specifically the US members. I'm honestly done trying to prove I'm not the ignorant American they see on TV

Its not just ATS.. Try reading the comments on some news story.. It doesnt matter what the story is, someone will comment about how its a result of "stupid left wing liberals" or "ignorant right wing neocons"

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

F me. I had a nice long reply to this but my iPad #ed me over. Anyways, the jist of it was, as the membership grows so do the threads and whatever YOU are looking for gets diluted. Doesn't mean the other 99% are no good, just not what you are looking for. Don't take the memberships contributions for granted, without them we are less informed, if not entertained.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Did ATS die

Apparently so, and it's death shroud seems to be the pall of adds that are slowly descending upon our new topics list, carrying it away into oblivion.

I was wondering if everyone thinks it is as strange as I do that we switched almost immediately from "We're ascending" to "Grab your guns!"

ATS will probably not be much fun for the time being, or be a whole lotta fun, depending on your perspective.

Weird times.

P.S. Thought I should add that despite the weirdness, we are really responsible for how the boards roll. The best thing that anyone can do is to try to make ATS the they want it to be by the power of their contributions.
edit on 13-1-2013 by Xoanon because:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I have been lurking around ATS since '99 and I've yet to see a single person admit that they were wrong
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

I've been wrong

but respected

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

I said I was wrong just last year.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I've been wrong and said so many times. I guess you're not reading my posts!

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFO1414
reply to post by cody599

F me. I had a nice long reply to this but my iPad #ed me over. Anyways, the jist of it was, as the membership grows so do the threads and whatever YOU are looking for gets diluted. Doesn't mean the other 99% are no good, just not what you are looking for. Don't take the memberships contributions for granted, without them we are less informed, if not entertained.

DILUTED...best word I've seen to describe the boards yet.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Guess not
. I have not been nearly as attentive to the forums as of late, as I just got tired of beating my head against a brick wall. I mean, just to use an example: look at the Israeli/Palestinian issue or gun control. Those two topics, which I have some pretty strong feelings about are just riddled with overly-emotional idiots on this site responding with typical knee-jerk reactionary statements and character assassination if you dare to question their beliefs. I mean, I've tried doing so as politely as possible, and still am met with overt hostility which then ruins my mood for the rest of the day because, the fact is, the person I'm arguing with is usually half the world away so I can't just reach out and slap them upside the head for being such an ignorant fool. This is the source of most of my ATS derived angst. I'd much rather talk about such things with my family and friends, who I know will not, for the most part, just jump to insulting me because I disagree. I mean some of the most profound conversations I've ever had were with my father and I haven't experienced anything close to that on ATS, just heaps of frustration and the occasional guy who agrees with me but doesn't add anything to the conversation. Meh...what can I say....

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Yup. That's what happens when conspiracy theories become part of popular culture and a fad at that.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
reply to post by AccessDenied

Yup. That's what happens when conspiracy theories become part of popular culture and a fad at that.

Now I need to find a new fringe culture... *sigh

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Quite possibly this is a direct result of the frantic, and rabid skepticism which seems to pervade the site
The pics or it never happened variety.....
These snide and uncalled for jibes and put downs are derailing threads left and right.....
The ultimate skeptic has to be willing to see things through others eyes, AND WISE ENOUGH TO DISCERN THOSE WHO MAY ACTUALLY LEARN FROM THEIR DISCOURSE HOWEVER LEARNED.
The extremely bad attitude some innocent posters recieve though discouraging some frivolity, does stifle earnest speculation to a degree.....
nuff said.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It's a reflection of the times.

What did you expect as the technology spreads to 'lesser' minds?

Quantity over quality as we progress... ironic? Indeed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join