Air pollution in Beijing goes off the index

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Air pollution in Beijing goes off the index

China's huge population and massive industrial growth have been destroying the Chinese environment for a long time, and now they have hit a new low. I wonder if the anti-regulation people in this country realize that this is what will happen to us as well if we give in to their demands for no limits on business?

BEIJING (AP) — People refused to venture outdoors and buildings disappeared into Beijing's murky skyline on Sunday as the air quality in China's notoriously polluted capital went off the index.

The Beijing Municipal Environmental Monitoring Center said on its website that the density of PM2.5 particulates had surpassed 700 micrograms per cubic meter in many parts of the city. The World Health Organization considers a safe daily level to be 25 micrograms per cubic meter.

PM2.5 are tiny particulate matter less than 2.5 micrometers in size, or about 1/30th the average width of a human hair. They can penetrate deep into the lungs, so measuring them is considered a more accurate reflection of air quality than other methods.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

This is indeed sad news.

I suspect a huge portion of the air pollution is caused by motor vehicles with internal combustion engines.

I just hope China will follow through with their support for Electric cars.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
just to get an image:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This pollution is from all the factories. Along with exporting all the manufacturing jobs the Chinese got all the toxins created by these jobs. There aren't nearly as many environmental laws there so the USA businesses are guilty of increasing the global pollution.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSquare

Well apparently China is the world’s largest overall consumer of cigarettes, perhaps Beijing should consider the patch?

That picture is so bleak. I can't imagine living in that every day. How bad does a city have to smell before the neighboring cities pitch in to hose that bugger down?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreamer99

why would you buy cigarettes when nicotine and tar is free?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Whenever I have traveled overseas, whether to Europe or India, I am always taken aback at the lack of air quality in the cities. the US has much cleaner air than elsewhere, and I get annoyed when the environmentalists scream air pollution in the states. Don't get me wrong, I do believe in taking good care of our environment, but I just get annoyed when it seems the US is the only country they are screaming about . Growing up in the 50s and 60s I do remember as our air got better , and I think as a country we have done a lot . The activists need to work on the other countries and get their air pollution and water pollution cleaned up.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Don;t you realize we have huge population on ATS who believe men can't damage the earth via pollution causing climate change?

SUVs and smog guzzling plants will run rampant until everyone realizes it.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I fully industrialized city with a population of over 20,180,000 and millions of drivers, thousands of factories and manufacturers, and millions of polluters. No. One. Should. Be. Surprised. Good luck with that China, everyone on the planet is going to need it.

-TheGhoster

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
China is probably where the US was in the 30s-50s as far as industrialization and pollution are concerned. Their evolution is already faster than ours was, so it is a necessary evil step in modernization, I'm afraid. I've linked some pix of Pittsburgh, PA to show as an example, which the photo of Bejing reminded me of.

Daytime

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I heard on the Radio this morning that there was a fire in a furniture storage/warehouse (cant remember wich) in beijing thsi morning and it took 3 hours for people to realize there was a fire because the smog was so thick!!!

that is pretty bad IMO.

new topics

join