It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: A ocean with the depth of a puddle. Some considerations on quantity verses quality.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Hey ATSers.

Well, the title, though provocative, isn't really meant to be a slam on ATS..more of a observation.
When I look at ATS, I see the new topics button and a endless minute to minute stream of new topics (this one included). Most titles are just repeats of former stories or theories with slight alterations and no actual digging.

This is nice on the surface..seemingly limitless things to read about. However, in that sea of topics, finding true depth, content contributions by fellow posters furthering whatever story, theory, or observation can be difficult. Normally its a half baked observation followed by a hammering of people either agreeing or disagreeing..and this ultimately makes the front page..not for any serious quality or depth arising, but rather for just a bunch of people giving the "ditto" or "no, your crazy" response (articulated a bit more).

Its a ocean of topics...but the depth of a puddle (I thank totalbiscuit for that thought..fitting for many things)

Your thoughts?

____

One consideration I would like to push forward. maybe a monthly "threadwinners" sub forum where one topic from each forum that passes good debate, depth, some credibility, and ultimately makes ATS a more thoughtful place gets moved in there..then you know that by visiting that subforum, you will most certainly find a quality discussion on many subjects..not just 12 pages without much substance and only on top because its currently the popular thing.
Just my thoughts on..not so much a complete solution verses a nice addition.
I think WATS was meant to be similar to that..but that is like any other forum really.
Also, how would one judge what is a post of merit. Frankly, I think this should be mod voted and outside of the public atser (we get distracted on the mundane and sensational)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I understand what you are saying. Are you aware, that ATS Live Radio Show does pick out 5 threads each broadcast to feature. I'm not sure how those threads are chosen, may be by Staff. I do know they are usually thought proving, and interesting threads.

Des

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I have come across a ton of subjects here to which I may not have been otherwise exposed. That exposure sparked my interest to dig on my own. Sometimes I came back here and added it. Either way, I was motivated to research and learn just by a title, topic, author, conspiracy found here.

Not sure this is the place for absolute depth, but there is plenty of material!

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

I understand what you are saying. Are you aware, that ATS Live Radio Show does pick out 5 threads each broadcast to feature. I'm not sure how those threads are chosen, may be by Staff. I do know they are usually thought proving, and interesting threads.

Des

Yes, I have even had the odd thread tossed into that fray.
But the live forum is really just a thread about the live event..and in there they do source some stuff...not what I was going for overall (and I don't listen to live anyhow, due to ats being a big enough time consumer for me..no need to push it further by listening all the time..will end up in a tin foil home)

Also, they don't select a single topic from every forum monthly..they just choose an array of provocative topics to yack about..the thread itself may not even be very deep..just popular for the moment.

But that is sort of the general concept overall...quality thread area...regardless of popularity at the time. Hell, a thread may completely pass under the radar due to bad timing or whatnot with about 3-4 responses total that is of high quality..such efforts could be pushed up into the light in such a controlled subject subforum

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Most titles are just repeats of former stories or theories with slight alterations and no actual digging.

ATS is member driven. You've been here a little longer than I have and if I look at your stats, way more participating than I ever did. And that could be where the problem is. For those who've been here a few years and participated a lot, they've seen a lot and heard a lot . Nothing could be further from the truth for the new member who's been around for a year or less.

While we see repeats of former stories with slight alterations, they see new and exciting topics.

Its a ocean of topics...but the depth of a puddle

And we choose what we wish to read, what we wish to learn from, what we wish to discuss. One's garbage is another one's gem.

As for thread recognition, I see major problems with logistics. Who decides what's good and what's not? Who decides of the perceived depth of it? Who decides and judges on its quality?

I understand what you're saying but I don't think it applies to everyone.

Just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
As for thread recognition, I see major problems with logistics. Who decides what's good and what's not? Who decides of the perceived depth of it? Who decides and judges on its quality?

Right, that is the issue..hense why I suggested it be simply mod voted verses popularity or anything else. Mods are screened fairly well overall and know quality and what ATS is overall trying to push towards..

As far as one persons trash/someone elses treasure. I agree with that also, and there are still a lot of quality threads coming out weekly..sometimes with notice, sometimes not. I am simply suggesting that remarkable threads per topic should surface in a different area for consumption and would be a good "start in this forum" for newbies whom want the jist of ATSs true offerings verses the 300 threads on piers morgan;s views of firearms like somehow it matters when that in itself is just the sensational coating for the actual topic at hand..gun control verses second amendment...a thread that is probably lost forever due to the latest youtube video and hundreds of threads on a distraction from the subject.

Not suggesting ATS restructure anything..I love the new topic endless stream...but its also nice to have an area of contemplation and "root" issues in easy to find places.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

To change the quality or the depth of the threads started on ATS, there would ultimately have to be a vetting system for all members, otherwise there is no way to stop shallow threads from starting, other than making the mods work their tails off more then they already do.

Resurrecting of topics will never cease. It is the norm due to the newer members to a site such as this and to expect them to drop their line and try to fish out a relevant thread from the past that matches exactly their thoughts at the time is only going to aggravate the people with those expectations of others, because they will not do it.

I agree that there is a plethora of shallow new threads flowing through ATS constantly, but that should be expected as the member base grows. Not everyone is going to have something profound to say, and not everyone is going to find the opinions of all that they read to be profound.

You jumped into the pool when it had a deep end, the population of the pool has increased and taken the water level with it. It's either time for a new pool, or to just be content to be one of the lucky ones to have had the chance to swim in the deep end for a time.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I am simply suggesting that remarkable threads per topic should surface in a different area for consumption and would be a good "start in this forum" for newbies whom want the jist of ATSs true offerings verses the 300 threads on piers morgan;s views of firearms like somehow it matters when that in itself is just the sensational coating for the actual topic at hand..gun control verses second amendment...a thread that is probably lost forever due to the latest youtube video and hundreds of threads on a distraction from the subject.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, I like the idea for newbies, but I just don't see how it could be done. Moderators are probably already overwhelmed by what you have just described. But I do like the idea.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Well, anyhow..the thought is out there...maybe it will be considered over time, or not...just felt the need to toss out this observation and a minor suggestion to see if others felt the same overall.

Not trying to stop the endless threads..I quite enjoy engaging in a number of rather low water pools for amusement now and then...just trying to suggest a little addition so people can retreat into the "adult conversation" area now and then when tired of the latest bit of glitter filling the conspiracy screens.

top topics

join