It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there emotions in the afterlife?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Anyways... IF you are your body.... Why is it that you have little to no control over it? IT is all you.... correct? Can you halt YOUR internal processes? Can you stop your intestinal tract? Perhaps stop your hair growth? IF you are your body... Why can't YOU control it?

Look, this happened 37 years ago, so I can talk about it without seeking sympathy. My twin daughters were born. One is fine and is the love of my life. My other twin was born with no brain. All she had was the very base of the brain that sits at the top of the spine. With just this much brain she lived a month. All of our, I don't know how to phrase it, body functions must exist in just that little piece, without our need to mentally control it.

Imagine how bad it would be if we DID have control, and dreamed that we stopped our heart, accidentally doing it for real? This separation of consciousness and body function is a really good thing!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Touché

And I am sorry for your loss....

Lets try something else... we don't need our conversation here to become depressing...

Heres a chance to ask yourself some questions...

Take a look over this thread when you get a chance... IF the excerpt peeks your interest... click the link at the bottom and continue on with it...

Who are YOU?

Its quite long, but what else do we have but time right?

Tell me what you think

Much love my friend

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wonders
reply to post by jiggerj

Yes, there are emotions in the afterlife.

LOL Just like that, huh? How do you know? What reasoning have you come up with for this belief?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

reply to post by jiggerj

LOL Just like that, huh? How do you know? What reasoning have you come up with for this belief?

Jigger, I feel sorry for you, you're able to find this out for yourself, but you'd rather lure people into thinking that you actually care about the truth, when really you are lying in wait to shed blood. I'm guessing you've read my NDE story I posted on this site, it's the only thread I've made thus far. Also I would share scripture with you, but you say that you've read the bible already, so, all I can say is you'll have to find that out for yourself, and you will, eventually.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
This discussion gets into philosophy as well as neurology, which is why it's in this forum. Questions such as, "does the 'self' exist as an ontological entity?" and, "is the 'self' merely an emergent behavior arising from the functions of the brain, rather than a distinct entity?" I think two fairly safe statements are:

1) The current state of neurology indicates very strongly that emotion, the sense of self, and even choice, are derived from the complex functions of the various organs of the brain and the various neurotransmitter and electrical activity therein, and nothing else that is scientifically appreciable.

And much more speculatively, but following from that,

2) If an afterlife hypothetically exists, it seems probable that consciousness and emotion would not exist there exactly as we presently know them, precisely because, presumably, there is no physical neurology.

Having said that, I can perhaps conceive of some extremely speculative, extremely hypothetical fashion in which the information that comprises the state we know subjectively as consciousness could somehow be "saved" or "copied" to another dimension or membrane or what have you, where matter as we know it does not exist, but where information might still be able to remain coherent through some property of that dimension's differing laws of physics - or some such. And if it can maintain the coherence of consciousness in a dynamic, functioning way without matter as we know it, then I suppose it could also maintain the coherence of what we experience as emotion. That's about the only even remotely pseudoscientific way I can imagine an afterlife mechanically working that there might be some possibility of working into our current understanding of the universe.

There always remains, of course, the conceivable possibility that the universe - or other universes, dimensions, etc. - simply contains realms or properties of which we are entirely unaware, and incapable of perceiving, which allow for the concept of an afterlife to be real. In that case, all bets are off and anything is possible. I've often had moments where I considered whether, should that be the case, there might be some more diffuse, less bounded equivalent of what we call emotions in such a state. Or perhaps simply a state of complete understanding, acceptance, and comprehension of everything and its nature, causing some semblance of what we might call euphoria or bliss in a prospective afterlife.

All of that is, of course, entirely speculative, because we have no way of knowing personally without experiencing it firsthand, if it should exist at all. (This is not to assert that those who have had what they believe to be glimpses into such states or realms are wrong. I don't know one way or another definitively, though I do believe there are other possible explanations for such experiences. I can't assert for a fact that that's what they are in any specific given case. Hence my being skeptically agnostic.)

Peace.
edit on 1/16/2013 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

Jigger, I feel sorry for you, you're able to find this out for yourself, but you'd rather lure people into thinking that you actually care about the truth, when really you are lying in wait to shed blood. I'm guessing you've read my NDE story I posted on this site, it's the only thread I've made thus far. Also I would share scripture with you, but you say that you've read the bible already, so, all I can say is you'll have to find that out for yourself, and you will, eventually.

No, no shedding of blood. Though I do find it amazing how you metaphysical types are always bashing the person, like you did here, but claim that those offering valid logic are the ones doing the bashing. Plus, the metaphysical types go running off into fantasy beliefs before researching the simplest answers.

I offered the most logical argument on why there aren't any emotions in the afterlife, and you can't reply in kind with the most logical reason why there ARE emotions in the afterlife. Do that and we've got a nice chat, other than you throwing little tantrums like this. I can sense that you're better than that.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Oi... I've been nice...

And im quite the "metaphysical" type...

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
There is no "afterlife"...
Well, maybe not really true..
There is DEAD...But thats about
it

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Let us say that the brain releases chemicals so that we can react physically in a physical world but the brain itself is prompted by the immortal Soul which experiences emotion in a way unique to it. Of course I know that you reject the possibility of a Soul nevertheless this is an answer to your question you might care to consider.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Can anyone explain to me what the afterlife is. I could come with an answer. Without an explanation I wouldn't be able to know ofcourse..

Let's see, Afterlife..... life... life also = emotions. Sure there are emotions in the ....after.....LIFE. no, After.. life. What exactly are you aiming at JiggerJ?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

You can explain HOW emotions are configured by the brain, and the science exists to explain it. That said, once the actual emotional response (as the dynamic informational burst that it is) exists, there's no science available that seems capable of examining that physically existent burst for what it is, and for qualifying its true place within the whole of the human being whose brain configured it and launched it. This work has been ignored by science - as if there's a truce between it and religion - with religion working that side of the street and science keeping its secular mitts off all such concerns. And that's really too bad, because we're at a transition point as intellectually ready beings to take on these question from a position of rationality and logical discipline instead of leaving it to the clumsy, fumbling care of faith and the many competing ancient wisdom traditions.

Yes, the eternal human being experiences emotions. They are contained within most of the dynamic information bursts that collect to form the human being, having collected from the instant that human's brain began working to ensure its own survival until the instant that brain finally died. One dynamic burst after the other, and all collecting like cells in an informational body. With the entire being completely aware and possessing each and every instant of emotion, reason, intellect, imagination, wonder, anger, sadness, joy, and silliness that its brain configured and launched from day #1. All at hand and all forever available to the personality of the being. That being's perspective of itself and the new world it inhabits.

The human being only loses its material "reality anchors" when it's freed of the brain's corporeal point of perspective. It loses nothing else in potential perception, with its only limitations self imposed.
edit on 1/17/2013 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

No, no shedding of blood. Though I do find it amazing how you metaphysical types are always bashing the person, like you did here, but claim that those offering valid logic are the ones doing the bashing. Plus, the metaphysical types go running off into fantasy beliefs before researching the simplest answers.

I offered the most logical argument on why there aren't any emotions in the afterlife, and you can't reply in kind with the most logical reason why there ARE emotions in the afterlife. Do that and we've got a nice chat, other than you throwing little tantrums like this. I can sense that you're better than that.

Well, I don't find it amazing that you would whine about feeling mistreated. I have given you a logical reason why there are emotions in the afterlife, and you blatantly ignored what I shared with you.
Why is no one touching this remark?
So you can see why I don't expect a friendly chat from you, I still feel sorry for you.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by jiggerj

Oi... I've been nice...

Have to admit, AK, you're one of the rare ones that sticks to the topic.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shema
reply to post by jiggerj

Let us say that the brain releases chemicals so that we can react physically in a physical world but the brain itself is prompted by the immortal Soul which experiences emotion in a way unique to it. Of course I know that you reject the possibility of a Soul nevertheless this is an answer to your question you might care to consider.

You didn't answer it, Shema. LOL "emotions in a way unique to it" is not an answer. Do you think the soul is pure energy, and can energy be pulled together without flesh to form emotions? I don't know, but in order to believe we can have emotions that aren't a direct result of the brain, I'd love to hear the hows and whys of it. Is this yet another aspect of the metaphysical where ya just gotta have faith?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

You didn't answer it, Shema. LOL "emotions in a way unique to it" is not an answer. Do you think the soul is pure energy, and can energy be pulled together without flesh to form emotions? I don't know, but in order to believe we can have emotions that aren't a direct result of the brain, I'd love to hear the hows and whys of it. Is this yet another aspect of the metaphysical where ya just gotta have faith?

I'm not one for hanging my coat on faith. It is generally accepted that the mind rules the emotions but this is a fallacy. It is the emotions that animate the mind. For instance you are emotionally incapable of accepting anything that cannot be proven beyond a shred of doubt and you use your mind to justify your stance to yourself and others. The brain releases chemicals when it is prompted to. For a mere thought to force a physical reaction in this manner is less believable than my contention that the immortal Soul does indeed reign.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Shema because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

Oi... I've been nice...

Well what say we continue with that trend eh?

What did you think of that conversation in my thread?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

Oi... I've been nice...

Well what say we continue with that trend eh?

What did you think of that conversation in my thread?

I don't know what happened, Ak. I thought I'd read it and replied. I can't find it now.

Was the conversation about the question of "who are you?"

If not, please provide a link again. I work everyday and then, groggily, I come home and roam these forums, so I forget most of my responses - and some of my own dam threads!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I think the people have emotions in the afterlife, and I feel like there is a filter on what information they are allowed to receive. After all it is supposed to be rest in peace. I also feel like ther a rules about them making an appearance and spiritually looking in on our lives too. I feel like my dad visits me every few years, usually before a major negative event occurs in my life. I can feel his presence breifly sometimes. I have dreams where he shows up and we go for a drive, pick flowers, or go to a carnaval... and there is not much conversation... and then I remeber he is dead and I want to talk, but he has disappeared suddenly.
edit on 17-1-2013 by frugal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Nope my mistake... you did reply

I could be a spirit. I could be a part of a universal consciousness. My body could be made of pure energy. But, right now, I AM human. I AM an earthling. I AM a worker, a father, an American, a tax payer...

That works for me...

Heres a great little story if you ever have a bit of time... Im sure you'll enjoy it

reluctant-messenger.com...

Realization is the key...

Have you Ever tried meditation?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Just for fun I will describe to you what stage 1 of the human afterlife looks like.

When you die only your spirit lives on.

You enter a place, it looks like Earth but it looks a little different. It's more full of nature, more trees, less buildings (if any buildings). spirits can walk through anything, but, they have some resistance to other spirit. For example, a spirit can easily walk through a door, which is void of spirit, but a spirit cannot walk through a person without some resistance, the resistance depends on many factors which I won't go into.

You may have heard that ghosts float a few feet above the ground. They are not really floating, they are standing on 'solid' (from their perspective) spirit-Earth, which is not exactly the same as our Earth, it's the perfect spirit of the Earth and has not been damaged by the physical, the rain forests remain on this Earth, all the wooded areas, all of nature, perfectly preserved on this Earth. The spirit-Earth generally speaking is a few feet off from the physical-Earth so a spirit (if seen at all) will often appear to be 'floating'.

Spirits only hang out in human buildings if they feel a big connection to that building, otherwise they do explore both time and space. Spirit humans cannot fly into the galaxy, not in stage 1, in stage 3 I do believe they can explore the galaxy!, stage 1 of human death is a probationary period for those that have done evil, and simply a waiting room for those that have done good, it's the same place, those with a guilty conscience may feel regret but they will eventually be forgiven, those that have done good likely explore via time-travel. In stage 1 the coolest thing about the spirit Earth is time-travel is possible, as a 'window' style, 'walking in a 3d movie' style time-travel, no interaction can be made between the spirits and those in the movie of the past they are watching, but it is still very cool and I can't wait.

There are no physical ailments in this spirit world, so if one suffered from a mental illness, physical illness, etc, these no longer exist, and they are free to enjoy the amazing setting of the spirit-Earth. Some spirits choose to be more closely connected to the living than others, but I believe most, choose to focus on the amazing after life.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Razimus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join