It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there emotions in the afterlife?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Here are a few quick explanations on how humans feel emotions (all links are at the bottom):

In the human brain,

The [two] amygdala...(shown in red) are essential to your ability to feel certain emotions... This includes fear... If you are being followed at night by a suspect-looking individual and your heart is pounding, chances are that your amygdalae are very active!

Hippocampus: The hippocampus...is particularly important in forming new memories and connecting emotions

How do humans feel 'Love'?

Have you ever wondered exactly what chemicals are involved in feeling love? Here's a look at some of the key biochemical players: phenylethylamine, norepinephrine, dopamine, oxytocin, testosterone, endorphins

How do humans feel joy?

dopamine is..., responsible for the highs of infatuation, new love, joy, self-confidence, and motivation.

If the human brain, and the chemicals within the brain are responsible for all of our emotions, have the believers in any form of afterlife ever wondered where our emotions would come from once our spirit leaves the body? Until there is a sound theory on this, how can anyone look forward to an eternity without joy or love?

For me, not only does this make an afterlife implausible, but it also makes it frightening to think that we would become emotionless zombies if there were an afterlife. BRRRRR!

AMYGDALA
Hippocampus
Love Chemicals
The Plunge of Pleasure [joy]

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I believe we will have different, non-human bodies. Brains and organs will be completely different. It's hard to imagine or really put into words, but that's just what I believe. I think when we die we will still feel love from those left behind.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

This is a sore subject for many who have lost a loved one such as myself but In reality I don't think there is emotion after death. That would just tether you to this reality and you would never be truly free after death. If there is an afterlife I think it exists out in space. You could spend eternity traversing out there and that is probably what we do.

Why would I hang out on this rock if there where quadrillions more places to go? Death is the only way we can truly leave this planet. The best way to travel in a near vacuum would be without the need of a body or ship.

Who knows, the reason the ancients all seemed to center on Orion's constellation may be because that is the direction we go in death. We are all energy so maybe there is an attraction there.

I hope our loved ones aren't hanging around after death watching us waste away in our physical forms.

"To infinite and beyond."

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

I'm sorry about your loss. Same happened to me last year. I do think we go on somewhere amazing and this human life is kind of like a training for our eternal life.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybee

I'm sorry about your loss. Same happened to me last year. I do think we go on somewhere amazing and this human life is kind of like a training for our eternal life.

I have NO idea what an eternal life looks like, but it's fun to ponder.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I don't think there is emotion after death. That would just tether you to this reality and you would never be truly free after death.

UGH! Imagine having the emotions to worry over our children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, great great grandchildren... That's an eternity I wouldn't want to experience.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I wouldn't want that either. Imagine hanging around while your wife or husband remarries someone horrible or you children make all those bad decisions. My ghostly fingers trying to choke some sense into them.
If there is but one emotion in death I hope it's pure bliss of not experiencing pain anymore.

I was hoping I would come back to this thread and it made the front page but I'm guessing it's a sore subject to most people. That or a subject that scares them because of the unknown.

If anything it's intriguing to me because death is one of the few things we experience equally and no one has any definitive proof about anything afterwards. We have the tales about 'streets of gold' but we all know deep down when your dead golden streets won't mean squat. Why would a disembodied spirit need roads anyways? Oh that's right, for the golden Cadillac.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I was hoping I would come back to this thread and it made the front page but I'm guessing it's a sore subject to most people. That or a subject that scares them because of the unknown.

More and more I'm thinking that people don't want to search for the truth. They're going to believe what they want to believe, and that's that. And, that's sad.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Kinda sounds like one of my arguments against Hell...

Emotions come from the spirit witihin, not the physical body...

Of course science will tell you otherwise... They call it a chemical reaction but that also says that life in general is nothing but a chemical reaction, making life a complete fluke.

When you have what some people call a "gut reaction" do you believe your stomach is thinking for you?

Being a male you know some guys think with their "member" but do you believe IT has its own thoughts?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Emotions come from the spirit witihin, not the physical body...
reply to post by Akragon

Where in the world did you get that idea?

When you have what some people call a "gut reaction" do you believe your stomach is thinking for you?

Stop it! You're making me laugh! LOLOLOL 'Gut Reaction' is just a saying.

Being a male you know some guys think with their "member" but do you believe IT has its own thoughts?

You're pulling my leg, right. You have to be.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Where in the world did you get that idea?

From my own madness?

Perhaps its just a "feeling"

Stop it! You're making me laugh! LOLOLOL 'Gut Reaction' is just a saying.

Technically its a "feeling"...

Noticing a trend here?

You're pulling my leg, right. You have to be.

Considering the example I used... if I get into more "feeling" at this point is gonna get weird...

edit on 14-1-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

And, feelings come from where? Anyone? Anyone?
The brain!

I'm sitting here laughing because of you!

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

The brain!

Awesome! Laughing is good for the soul!

The brain is but a piece of meat with "electrical signals" running through it... What is it that responds and makes decisions on how to react to said "signals"?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

The brain!

Awesome! Laughing is good for the soul!

The brain is but a piece of meat with "electrical signals" running through it... What is it that responds and makes decisions on how to react to said "signals"?

The chemicals in the brain that causes the synapses to fire.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

So chemicals can think/react to stimuli?

I must have missed that lecture in chemistry

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

So chemicals can think/react to stimuli?

I must have missed that lecture in chemistry

I think you also missed the one about consciousness NOT coming from outside of the brain. You know, the one that causes a song to repeat over and over in your head?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

We're just going in circles here...

The brain is meat, with electrical currents (and chemicals) running through it... none of which can make decisions, use simple logic... or react in an appropriate or unappropriate way to stimuli...

Science can't explain consciousness... though they are starting to realize that everything is connected...

Emotions stem from previous situations in your life... and how you reacted to them at that time, or how you "felt" about them at said time. Meaning something "within" was reacting to said stimuli... and if flesh, and chemicals with electrical currents running through it can't possibly react to any stimuli by themselves OR combined with each other in any other configuration except what is exactly in LIFE as we know it...

What is that which is reacts to life as it is?

edit on 15-1-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

The brain is meat, with electrical currents (and chemicals) running through it... none of which can make decisions,

Couldn't be more wrong, my friend. The brain can even make decisions without your control. When you cut yourself, do you feel it? Of course you do, and you feel it because the brain sends a message to the cut telling it to hurt as a means of alerting you to the damage. When you stub your toe, that's the brain telling it to hurt. Everything that your body feels must come from the brain, else you wouldn't feel anything.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

The brain is meat, with electrical currents (and chemicals) running through it... none of which can make decisions,

Couldn't be more wrong, my friend. The brain can even make decisions without your control. When you cut yourself, do you feel it? Of course you do, and you feel it because the brain sends a message to the cut telling it to hurt as a means of alerting you to the damage. When you stub your toe, that's the brain telling it to hurt. Everything that your body feels must come from the brain, else you wouldn't feel anything.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying... IF you break down the components of the brain it is nothing more then meat with electrical signals and chemicals running though it... by themselves these chemicals/electrical components/fleshy components can not do anything... and they also can not do anything in any other combination except what happens within the body of a living creature.

Science can not explain how this combination works exactly... they only know that the brain is meat, chemicals, and electrical signals.

Lets try a different approach though... You seem to believe YOU are your body... Or at least YOU are your brain...

interesting that YOU made this statement though...

the brain sends a message to the cut telling it to hurt as a means of alerting YOU to the damage.

Anyways... IF you are your body.... Why is it that you have little to no control over it?

IT is all you.... correct?

Can you halt YOUR internal processes?

Can you stop your intestinal tract?

Perhaps stop your hair growth?

IF you are your body... Why can't YOU control it?

edit on 15-1-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Yes, there are emotions in the afterlife.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join