It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local churches start petition for stricter gun control laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
(Local being Nashville, Tennessee.)

Brothers and priests, Fathers Joseph and Philip Breen, are leading their parishes, St. Edward Catholic Church and St. Ann Catholic Church to take a stand on a controversial issue.

Huh? Are they "asking" their flock to sign a petition?

"I said to myself, what is it I can do, and I feel very strongly about banning all assault weapons," Father Breen told Nashville's News 2. "We just hope that we keep these weapons from people that could do a lot of harm."

So, someone that has a lot of sway over his followers decided to pass around the petition? Because HE doesn't like the weapons?

"This is something we need to do to get the assault weapons off of our streets and make everything a little bit safer," Father Breen said. "We're not taking away the ability or to make it illegal to have arms in your homes."

www.wkrn.com...

There is no reason why anyone should pass a petition around at church! People follow the heads of churches sometimes at their every word. Do you think anyone's decision could have been influenced to sign it without understanding it?

Churches please stick to your own business. If you want to help, start a program where people can bring in their guns to dispose them with no questions asked or something.

(Personal disclaimer - I am absolutely neutral on the issue of gun control. I hope this will be more about a petition in church rather than the guns.)
edit on 13-1-2013 by Doodle19815 because: Because of spelling edits. Oh, don't act like you haven't ever had to do it!

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
You know, I'm as close to the gun issue as anyone so wouldn't have immediately keyed on your main point, but you''re right. Since when were Church's the site of political petitions?? It wasn't just a few years ago that even making political based statements from Clergy was considered a bridge close to if not being too far.

Now? It's a place to outright run petition drives? The line between Church and State seems to be erased where convenient and built like the Berlin Wall where it isn't. Odd how that works.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

My Grandmother is one who would follow her pastor to the brink of Hell if he asked. I can just see her blindly signing her name on the petition and never giving it a second thought.

Not to say she doesn't have a mind of her own, trust me she does, but really......

It just made me sick to see those headlines pop up on my local news sight.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Wow, do you know anything about religion? The Catholic Church is all about control, hence the country based on their beliefs and the leader is called a Pope. How strange is that? *hint sarcasm*

So, them wanting to strip weapons...come on, that has control written all over it!

Churches please stick to your own business. If you want to help, start a program where people can bring in their guns to dispose them with no questions asked or something.

Irony much? You ask the church to mind their own business, but then suggest to do a "buyback" program?
That's like saying, I don't like murder, but use this murdering tool instead. Please, stick to your own business and don't worry about gun control. It is obviously over your head because anybody in this United States can start a petition as long as the proper forms are filled out.

And, how does this joker have1,746 stars?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by johngrissom

Add one more I gave him one because you resorted to name calling

(gave you one too just so it's fair
)
edit on 13-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Whether you're for or against the gun control issue, religion organizations are becoming too political. I think it's time that their tax exempt status is pulled.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by johngrissom
And, how does this joker have1,746 stars?

Wow, didn't expect a personal attack for this one.

Ok, actually if the churches let you turn in your gun as part of confession and/or turning to god, (born again) it is their business. (I have seen this done with drugs in hard areas, and it works). Churches have the power to "dispose" of these things without getting into trouble.

I understand that anyone in America has the right to start a petition however, I don't believe that a person who is representing a following of god can morally stand and ask the congregation to sign a petition. (Is that kind of like the bosses who said they would fire people if their vote for prez wasn't the right one? Are you then judged for not signing the petition?)

Oh, and yes I think I know a little about the Catholic faith. Control- yes, slimy- yes, misleading- yes. Do I think that when people walk into a Catholic Church they look to the Preist to lead them, yep. Should he then lead with his own PERSONAL issues, absolutely not.
edit on 13-1-2013 by Doodle19815 because: I really need to start previewing before posting.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

You know, you actually mention an idea I've not heard before and it's one that makes sense. Gun Amnesty/Turn-In programs at the churches. That's actually brilliant and a non-political way of doing something rather than petitions, if doing something is what matters most.

The Church is in the unique position of being able to offer a bona fide and legally recognized protection of identity for who turns in what, too...

I don't personally know any gun owner who actually WANTS to see guns that would come in that kind of effort to stay on the street anyway.

Just had to toss that in since is pretty well runs with the topic and is just a great approach, new to my ears.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
You know, I'm as close to the gun issue as anyone so wouldn't have immediately keyed on your main point, but you''re right. Since when were Church's the site of political petitions?? It wasn't just a few years ago that even making political based statements from Clergy was considered a bridge close to if not being too far.

Now? It's a place to outright run petition drives? The line between Church and State seems to be erased where convenient and built like the Berlin Wall where it isn't. Odd how that works.

Ah my friend you are perhaps too young to remember.
In my youth, a member of the Catholic parochial school system & captive member of the Church, I remember church sponsored events to raise funds to help our Catholic brethren in the irish Republican Army. I remember the fiery-hair woman and her impassioned hard-to-decipher-accent pleas for monetary assistance to continue the holy cause.

Of course, it wasn't like they were advocating change in THIS country or circulating petitions to OUR government, the Church simply lent a hand to the IRA's financial recruiting efforts. Northern Ireland is the one subject you won't see mentioned by any of the UK-based anti-gun advocates, for obvious reasons (besides that situation is all LONG past history, right?).

ganjoa

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Well, hopefully, there are more Clergy who think like Pastor Chuck Baldwin, who says:

"...Individual citizens like you and I must be willing to draw our personal line in the sand on this issue and REFUSE TO COMPLY WITH ANY LAW REQUIRING US TO REGISTER OR SURRENDER OUR FIREARMS– including our semi-automatic rifles..."

lewrockwell.com...

new topics

top topics

join