It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spy agency ASIO wants powers to hack into personal computers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

I don't see how, you have to elaborate on this ?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mc4denmark

I think he's talking about those little moments you have where you look up from something you are doing and realize that everyone around you is rapidly pounding away at a phone's keyboard with intent looks of concentration upon their faces which while they sway to and fro makes you feel like you're in a crowd of zombies.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

Originally posted by mc4denmark

Funny, from my view, the last bit of freedom we have left is the Internet, although they are rapidly trying to take it away from us to..
Though i do enjoy surfin the net, and being able to use a phone Anywhere, It has become an item of slavery, both monetarily and mentally. So I dont consider it a freedom at all..

Phone rates are creeping up the cost of a good phone isnt cheap either, And they make you sign a contract for 2 years,, yes some plans vary but it is close to that. Every TXT phone call can be tracked, and the Police department has freedom to GPS tracking of your whereabouts. Key words are By TXT and voice are tracked to put people on a terrorist watch list,,(that of which I find absolutely appalling). Are you a facebook member? How many hours,, Many people I have witnessed cant seem to stay off of that site,. posting every single moment in their life. Of course all trackable information. For many,, their Internet friends are all they have.. kinda pathetic. Do you leave your cell phone at home? most likely not,. Cell phones, Notebooks, Ipads,, all so perfectly created to be portable and on your person all the time.. Try living without it for a month and tell me your not an addict

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonl1983

Sure, but those people are either communicating, gaining knowledge or playing games which train their brain in various ways, poke one of them on the shoulder and you probably have their attention.

Without our technological advancement, I don't think we would have gained such understandings of our environment and surroundings. The Internet is has given the public access to information never seen before, what usually was only for the elites, is know more or less available for the public man.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Its evolution, we are working to get to a more unified state of mind. Unfortunately, TPTB is trying hard to keep us back and in the dark.

Define addict? Yes, I would think it would be a pain in the a** not to be able to gather information on the spot, but no, I do not crumble and shake if I leave my phone or computer for a month.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Denmark?
There could be a vast difference in culture here.. in the US Everyone has a cell phone even children are getting phones..Ipads are also being introduced as learning tools for children,. Not a bad thing for educational purposes.. but none of that comes without a fee.

Addict, being incapable of leaving the phone at home.. Here in the US,. I know nobody that that could do that. One of my coworkers left his phone at home one day,, He was in an uncomfortable state all day,, he had even asked to borrow my phone to check on a facebook thing...

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Okay, about your co-worker, thats sound a bit dangerous :/ I also believe that we should be able to unplug from time to times.

Hmm, I really dont think the gap is that big, the US has a huge influence on Denmark (It was also the US that got cannabis banned in Denmark, (shame on you
)) - and our prime minister constantly talks about how great everything is in the US. So I think that on the technology front we are very much alike.

Sure in Denmark we have people to, whom cant seem to go without their phone, but I don't think it is the majority of Denmark - its certainly not in my group of friends.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
The way I see it and I was unaware of FBI setting up office in Aus, they probably already snoop around peoples computer. Picture this look at events unfolding around the globe, western forces closing in on Russia through the middle east build up of bases. Countries technically bankrupt economic reset new reserve currency on the way. More wars erosion of freedoms.
Now they dont need an excuse to be in your computer but .....they can now account for why they were in your PC...in the first place; for the greater good. You start mothing off against the PTB voila they plant incriminating evidence against you....and off to camp you go...

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by vkturbo

They can hack all they want,.
there is nothing to see on my computer
All real personal info is on another computer which never sees the net..

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by vkturbo

"Virus' to terrorists."

People who rant about the government on social networking websites will have
their electronic equipment compromised.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

reply to post by vkturbo

I wouldn't bank on that, they've got so sophisticated with surveillance now they can probably access it, net or not. For example, the power company here can set you up on a system that will cut your individual appliances on or off to save you money and the new power meters they installed sends information back and forth, that's just the power company, there's no telling what Big Brother can do these days.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

I dont think the power company have tech that could infiltrate your computer (unless its very unsecure with no password, updates or firewall) But I do know that they cant park a van close to your perimeter, where they can intercept the magnetic output from your display and then they can see whatever you see on your monitor, although I dont know if this still works with LCD screens.

But if they want you, they probably bug your house, computer, Internet wire and so fourth.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

reply to post by Nuker

What happens is that windows simply just change the first bits so windows does not see the file, but its still there, if you want to remove it, you should shred the file.

But then you have your swap drive to worry about and so on.

You dont need to do swap drive and so on.... you can use SLIM CLEANER . It deletes and shreds everything in the recycle bin so that is non-retrievable!!

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

reply to post by Nuker

What happens is that windows simply just change the first bits so windows does not see the file, but its still there, if you want to remove it, you should shred the file.

But then you have your swap drive to worry about and so on.

You dont need to do swap drive and so on.... you can use SLIM CLEANER . It deletes and shreds everything in the recycle bin so that is non-retrievable!!

A more secure way would probably be to encrypt your swap file with a random key

If you want to shred the file securely, you would probably need to use the Peter Gutman method, which overwrite data 35 times with different algorithms, and if the data file is large, this will take quite some time. And by todays forensic standard, that might not even be good enough.
edit on 13-1-2013 by mc4denmark because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-1-2013 by mc4denmark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
"Terrorists" aren't the only ones who will be targeted if this plan was to be passed:

''The purpose of this power is to allow ASIO to access the computer of suspected terrorists and other security interests,''

If the plan was put into place, then it would be:

...used in extremely limited circumstances and only when explicitly approved by the Attorney-General through a warrant.

Furthermore:

''Importantly, the warrant would not authorise ASIO to obtain intelligence material from the third party computer.''

Even though:

''It involves no power to search or conduct surveillance on the third party.''

What would stop them from doing so if they really wanted to?

Nothing.

If this plan was to be put into place, then i think a lot of the points should be clarified...

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

reply to post by jasonl1983

Sure, but those people are either communicating

Sure, those people are communicating with cyber friends while ignoring the possibility of more fulfilling face-to-face interaction.

playing games which train their brain in various ways

And what useful skill does one develop sinking hours into "Angry Birds"

Without our technological advancement, I don't think we would have gained such understandings of our environment and surroundings.

That's icing on the cake. Technological advancement has separated man from his natural environment and diminished his understanding of it. The people with the closest connection to the Earth are those still living the way their ancestors did hundreds of years ago - indigenous jungle dwellers and such.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I gotta tell you, your avatar picture is one of the most meaningful on the entire ATS

maybe even more meaning full than you realize, regardless of who made the circle

NOW

lets get to this topic

Anyone who thinks Government is not already getting into
people's computers is not very informed

Here is a guy (a Canadian which means their government does the same thing)

Tells you how they do it

Complete Guide to Government Surveillance and Technology 2012
govspyinyourhome.blog.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
30 + years ago watching the news during dinner time if a story came up regarding the gov. or big corp. planning/being caught out or just doing something that citizens were pi*sed about you could guaruntee the reporter would grab a hold of at least one for a few questions/thoughts & written on the screen would be ( something like )
Ben Dover
Civil Libertarian
Somehow the next generation of said civil libertarians died out in this country.What a bloody shame !!
You know your screwed when a relatively new law that snuck in & is being used now is one where you could have say $ 10k tucked down the back of the couch & the filth come poking around your house on any bogus reason & spot your wad....................into evidence bag that goes.Next 6 months of your life is taken up with you having to prove that money was legit. & not acquired thru illegal activities!!!!EVEN without being charged with any illegal offences !!!!!!! DISGUSTING

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy

reply to post by vkturbo

I wouldn't bank on that, they've got so sophisticated with surveillance now they can probably access it, net or not. For example, the power company here can set you up on a system that will cut your individual appliances on or off to save you money and the new power meters they installed sends information back and forth, that's just the power company, there's no telling what Big Brother can do these days.

Well, it is also stored in a MIAmobi sleeve.. nothing is getting in or out.
One can Buy an EMP bag for half the cost to make your computer off the grid when your not using it

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by vkturbo

first they tried to sell us with the "black ban list" for the safety of our kids, when that didn't work they came up with the idea of, if we cant control the internet well simply rebuild it.

so now they are on the hard sell of the Australian NBN (national broadband optic fibre network) and because its awesomely fast and for the most we are all Muppets, well take that deal and let it into our realm of "normal", after a while you wont even notice how normal that idea or concept is ... epic fail guys, open the eyes.

if they control the network, they control what ever you digest internet wise, doesn't matter how awesome you are at hacking or whatever.

Australia is like every other country, falling apart ... it started way back when they stooged us with the "Martin Bryant" (Google it) white flag story... the next day we lost all our guns ..

Australia is 2 steps behind china, we are the beta test of what every other country is going to become.

a failed and dominated nation, because we are to stupid and lazy to action our own freedom.

in the end ASIO will enjoy there custom built "CHINA Internet" template NBN network.
just as much as you will enjoy the awesome fast Facebook that rots your brain and keeps you distracted ..

ps: yes I'm an Australian, just a very saddened and angry one.

Muzz

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join