It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spy agency ASIO wants powers to hack into personal computers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Spy agency ASIO wants powers to hack into personal computers

www.perthnow.c om.au

SPY agency ASIO wants to hack into Australians' personal computers and commandeer their smartphones to transmit viruses to terrorists.
The Attorney-General's Department is pushing for new powers for the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation to hijack the computers of suspected terrorists.
But privacy groups are attacking the ''police state'' plan as ''extraordinarily broad and intrusive''.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
This is getting really bad in this country, do you think they would be attempting this if we had a way of defending ourselves.

The UK and AUS pollies pride themselves as having gun deaths down to nothing whilst critising the US of how they do things. This here is basically just an insight to what government will try and get away with if they are given an inch.

This new power they are searching for is suspected terrorists yet this country has never had a terrorist attack on our soil. So why do they keep using the big scary T word are they really that desperate to see what we think of them.

A few things that should be asked is:

Who do they claim is a terrorist?

What is going to justify being a terrorist?

Will this just end at terrorism?

Will this be a way of seeing who is taking part in illegal activity on their computer?

Where would this power end?

Will this be used to frame someone for an act they never committed?

We all know they implement things slowly so people just brush it off but you can see what is going on here, they couldn't get the internet filter so this will be the next step till they target what they don't want you to see and god knows what else they will do.

When will this nation wake up to what is being done and start fighting back? How many will say oh it's only for terrorists silly it won't effect you?

I still can't believe this has gone unnoticed on this site, for the comments on the story 9 people commented on it, there should be thousands of comments.

I know this was a bit of a rant and info but I think this country should be outraged at what lengths they are going to now.

www.perthnow.c om.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I live in the U.S., I already know all e-mails and web history is monitored, starting to think it might be more.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by vkturbo

I think the point of all the gun media hype of America being spread overseas goes something like this

The ASIO is monitoring all your digital communications
no no no look over here! Look at those dumb fat americans! They have guns aren't they stupid! Stay tuned we will tell you more!

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Do you really think they need our permission? They obviously have the technology and are obviously unethical enough. So what is stopping a so called secret intelligence agency from bugging phone calls, snooping around peoples emails etc. They'' ve probably being doing this for quite awhile.
Big brother knows what we are up to 24/7. But most people are totally unaware and are too busy consuming and being entertained.
But what can you really do?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Eh. They don't need the powers to hack personal computers, they already do it.
edit on 13-1-2013 by Nuker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Do you reckon they could find all those photos I deleted by mistake,because I sure as hell can't find them?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by vkturbo

These are the same pink cigar smokers that were trying to get powers to train with known terrorists such as Al-Queda only a few weeks ago. This organisation are a parasite to this country. There are no terrorists here, wheres all the bombs going off? Where are all the plots? The only plots I have heard about were directed at that very spy agency and I can accept that.

Edit - My computer just shut down and told me to watch my fingers.
edit on 13-1-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Imagewerx

Apparently. When you delete a photo, it doesn't get completely removed from your hard drive. Although it's no longer on your computer, the data is still there inside your hard drive. If they were looking for a deleted photo, they would need to personally access your computer system from your house.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Nuker

What happens is that windows simply just change the first bits so windows does not see the file, but its still there, if you want to remove it, you should shred the file.

But then you have your swap drive to worry about and so on.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Nuker

Yes I know that,it was supposed to be a joke.I do actually have everything backed up to external drives that are only plugged into my PC when they're needed,even then they're only holiday and family photos and letters to my bank etc and they're welcome to see every single one of them if they want to.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nuker

Apparently. When you delete a photo, it doesn't get completely removed from your hard drive. Although it's no longer on your computer, the data is still there inside your hard drive. If they were looking for a deleted photo, they would need to personally access your computer system from your house.

Yeah and they would need quite a bit of time too, it takes forever. But, even if they seized your comp and had time on their side there is still stuff you can do.

Tails - its an easy to use Linux distro that writes NOTHING to your hard drive.

DBAN - This is a program that will completely nuke the entire hard drive. It takes a long time but its good to run a few times before discarding an old hard drive. It is also easier and less messy than analog deletion with power tools. Trying to physically destroy a hard drive is not as easy or effective as you would think. Look up data recovery and see what kind of damaged drives they can still pull data from.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by vkturbo

G,day mate. why am i not surprised? ASIO are just playing catch up with the FBI. yes, the yank FBI. opened a branch office in Sydney approx 10 years ago with about 28 staff. so, either the yanks have stopped sharing their toys or the local secret squirrel blokes have a bad case of envy. as in. we want the same toys. hmm wonder if the Sydney branch office has morphed into a state by state road show. note. 1977. a yank air force squadron was headquarted in Pirie Street Adelaide. so anything is possible.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by vkturbo

In other words....... Police are already doing all these things and need to give themselves some sort off legal framework in which to use the information they are gathering.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nuker

Not true - you can have full remote access to any computer. With that access it is easy to run some disk scans or delted files.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
edit: allready explained
edit on 13-1-2013 by blackspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Hey guys they already do it, but because Australia is always 3 steps behind America in everything we do, now they want an official type of legalized framework as "nothingwrong" pointed out.

This is mainly due to smart defense lawyers who can get their clients off on a technicality based on illegally obtained evidence.

We know that they already do it, now all they are asking for is, the evidence to be miscible in a court of law, ie make the entire process legal so it closes-out an existing loop hole, so asshole terrorist types don't walk.

YES it will violate our existing rights, if it is abused, and NO the law will never be abolished once it comes into effect. The unfortunate reality of Australian society today is, we let people into our country and they bring their baggage with them and plot to destroy our way of life.
www.youtube.com...

We cry about our laws being too tough and still getting tougher, yet if we committed the same offences in their countries we would be stoned to death.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
All I can do is hope for that Great solar flare that kills the comsats and shuts down
the power globally, Throwing us back before the days of computers and cell phones..

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Funny, from my view, the last bit of freedom we have left is the Internet, although they are rapidly trying to take it away from us to..

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by mc4denmark
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Funny, from my view, the last bit of freedom we have left is the Internet, although they are rapidly trying to take it away from us to..
Though i do enjoy surfin the net, and being able to use a phone Anywhere, It has become an item of slavery, both monetarily and mentally. So I dont consider it a freedom at all..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join